Wuhan Coronavirus epidemic spreads from China to US

More collateral damage to our children by the crazy decision to shut down our schools in response to a virus that mostly targets the very old.

The drop in proficiency was most pronounced among black students in kindergarten through second grade, who suffered a benchmark regression of over 30%. White and Latino students from those age brackets saw drops of 6% and 12%, respectively, according to the Washington Post.

Can we at least agree that when African American kids fall even further behind in schools that racism had NOTHING to do with it?

Weird that they seem so sure of what will happen now, and in the near future, yet no one told us 2 months ago this was going to happen. How does that work exactly?
There were many saying the virus was going to come back in the fall a second surge of sorts as is a characteristic of pandemics ., Of course we never really had a period of any control of it . Pence and Trump resisted that notion that this would be an issue in the fall . Of course they did

We didn't? Really? LOL! So if we knew this was going to happen, and it's pretty normal, why is this such big news?

It's big news because something that is causing an increase of sickness , hospitalizations and ultimately a rise in deaths is always news. You not knowing what's up and not paying attention months ago , believing only what you saw on right wing media and other propaganda sights isn't my fault

This is what some really sharp people tried to tell us was a scenario that was predicted if WE did everything right, even though it was always the opposite . It was IF we did nothing . No mitigation . This lie is told to make it seem like trump is a hero somehow lol

Mr Trump appeared to be referring to an Imperial College London model in March that predicted 2.2 million deaths in a worst-case scenario of an uncontrolled spread due to total government inaction - a low bar to clear.
"The US represents less than 5 per cent of the world's population, but more than 20 per cent of Covid-19 deaths. It didn't have to be this way.

It's big news because something that is causing an increase of sickness , hospitalizations and ultimately a rise in deaths is always news. You not knowing what's up and not paying attention months ago , believing only what you saw on right wing media and other propaganda sights isn't my fault
So what should we have done, and when should we have done it? And why weren't these things done?

Does it not seem strange to you that the more we are told to wear the mask the higher the count goes? I did notice a while back that people including employees at the businesses were not wearing the masks or wearing them wrong. Now I have noticed much better usage and still the count go up. We need a better answer, the mask is a joke.
Agreed. I've been saying for a long time now that the epidemiologists have failed us miserably. This was their Super Bowl. They have failed constantly and have turned this into a political circus. The entire world is suffering through this. Numbers are going up everywhere. But they continue to tell us that "we" have done something wrong. When will they start looking at their own failures?

Even today I read from three different epidemiologists that we are in the third wave of the virus, second wave of the virus, and still in the first wave. How can something that simple be up for debate in the scientific community? Epidemiologists are the best thing to happen to the weatherpeople in our country because our weatherpeople can say that at least they are better at predicting the future than epidemiologists.

Trump Covid Advisors Now partnering with Russian Propaganda in the open.

Maybe he was trying to find out why Russia was doing so much better than most of the rest of the world fighting Covid-19.

Will someone fire and force into retirement this moron? Fauci has screwed up constantly since he was put in charge of our covid response. Both Biden & Trump repeatedly cite this fool as if he has anything useful to say.

Think about it, what has Dr, Fauci got right? First he's against masks then he's for masks. He believed the models which grossly inflated the number of covid deaths we would see. He argued for lock downs without considering collateral damage as a factor.

I fell for and deferred to this guys expertise back in March/April. I fully drank the cool aid. But now how can any thinking person not look at his track record since the start of the outbreak and not see that he's been a disaster.

Now the little weasel wants to guilt America out of celebrating Thanksgiving. Shut the hell up. People who are at risk will need to isolate themselves from family during this holiday but there's no reason 95+% of families can't celebrate the best American holiday.

The power and fame have gone to his head.

Yep. And Europe might be locking down again. What you are suggesting by protecting the vulnerable and letting it rip everywhere else is called herd immunity. Which would overwhelm the hospital system and involve hundreds of thousands more deaths. It's debunked by every legit medical and scientific expert and is a terrible idea. So keep refusing the masks and social distancing....then maybe we can all stay locked down this winter. Brilliant.
Overwhelming the hospital system has been debunked by past experience.

I don’t disagree that the American way is personal choice and families won’t be banned from gathering , but I think for one
year most families can temper down or just stay home in their own homes . Of course kids coming home from college can be tricky . I mean the facts are facts and the virus isn’t under control and it will be a bumpy ride into the winter as the flu season hits and we spend more time inside. Crowded houses at this point seems foolhardy . I know you don’t like Fauci but he’s right . I think next years Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations football season and hopefully full summer activities will be epic . We need to suck it up this year .
Fauci already called off next years celebrations as well.

Nobody said that certain demographics are not at more risk. Older people and black people for sure. The point is that it is irrelevant relative to case counts. Infected people spread the virus no matter how old they are.
And case counts are irrelevant for a virus with a 99% survival rate.

Do they breathlessly report number of cases every flu season? If they did youd have masked up and hid years ago.

No. What matters is that they are twice as likely to die. It’s the same with old people. The exact reason old people die at higher rate is not the most important part of the equation. The result is the most important part.
How do you design public policy without understanding causation?

What evidence do you have that it won’t? None. If you want to protect the vulnerable population, then wear a mask in public.

Ignore the science because some article your Uncle Jethro shared on Facebook says masks don’t work.

If you ask me, I say let the virus rip. Every few centuries there has been a great cleansing. We're overdue.
Or you could ignore that cases have been consistent or even increasing despite everyone wearing masks ?‍♂️

And case counts are irrelevant for a virus with a 99% survival rate.

Do they breathlessly report number of cases every flu season? If they did youd have masked up and hid years ago.
That is just about the dumbest thing one could say. You see, if the death rate is 99% and 100 people get the virus then 1 person dies. If 1M people get it then 10,000 die. The number of infected people define the death count.

Hospital adminstr
An unthinkable milestone? The models early on had 2 million Americans dying ?

By the way it's a new virus season, gotta start the count over.

1604322380629.png