WTH is going on in C-Bus?

Driver/stabber, evidently. No innocent fatalities :banana:

Gun control advocates obviously dismayed...........Trump immigration supporters still waiting...

Glad OSU Trama Center was only a few blocks away and first responders had trained for something like this. Hope the person in critical condition pulls through as well as the other nine.

Cops all over the place. Great job! :clap:

They just reported that none of the victims had life threatening injuries - which is great news.

Like others have posted, hat's off to the campus cop who sent this scumbag to hell.

May or may not be relevant but less then a year ago a "machete" was used in a terror attack in Columbus:

https://pjmedia.com/homeland-securi...ant-yet-another-case-of-known-wolf-terrorism/

Again, may or may not be related but ISIS just the other day called for individual "knife & Machete" attacks on Americans:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bourhoods-told-aim-reasonable-kill-count.html

On the other hand this could just be a wacko or maybe a student that snapped. We'll have to wait to see what the investigation yields, but if I was a betting man.......................

I have heard it reported that he was a black man.

Could be a meth-head crashing a stolen car, a plain nut, a Somali Muslim full of hatred, or any point in between.

good call, me!

Last edited:
NBC reporting Somali refugee...

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...hio-state-university-car-knife-attack-n689076

And the money quote:

The suspect's name was not released, but law enforcement officials told NBC News he was an 18-year-old Ohio State student, a Somali refugee who was a legal permanent resident of the United States.

Do people still believe we can vet the refugees from Muslim majority countries?

As an aside I wonder who was paying for his education at THE OSU.

NBC reporting Somali refugee...

"Refugee"? Would depend on how long he's been over here. When I first saw a noticeably wave of Somali applicants for Christmas casual positions in 1998, they were definitely refugees then, they hadn't been off the boat long.

But now? They're just Somali-Americans pretty much.

Of course, I don't know this guy's story, maybe he did just arrive recently - but if he came over when he was an infant or a kid, I wouldn't classify him as a refugee anymore. He should have been assimilated by now.

Do people still believe we can vet the refugees from Muslim majority countries?

Somalis are not without their bad apples, but in general and from my perspective, they seem to have brought fewer ones over here over the last 20 years, and that may be due to the Somali culture.

"Refugee"? Would depend on how long he's been over here. When I first saw a noticeably wave of Somali applicants for Christmas casual positions in 1998, they were definitely refugees then, they hadn't been off the boat long.

But now? They're just Somali-Americans pretty much.

Actually the problem can extend to, and be more serious among, the refugees American born children. This is where you can see the most dangerous radicalization taking place. Europe is a prime example of this phenomena.

Somali refugees have been causing problems in Minnesota. That is not to say that ALL Somali refugees are a problem, clearly they are not. But the question over the next few years will be whether they are disproportionately causing problems in the communities they've been resettled to.

Again, what advantage does the USA gain from taking in low skilled, 3rd world, non English speaking Muslim refugees? It is NOT enough to cite "compassion" as the motivation. There has to be more. We need to be careful to take in refugees who have a reasonable chance of assimilating. Refugees where there is no evidence that subsequent American born generations are not susceptible to radicalization. There are other poor, war torn regions where the refugees would have a MUCH better prospect of assimilating into the USA. The Ukraine comes to mind.

Somalis are not without their bad apples, but in general and from my perspective, they seem to have brought fewer ones over here over the last 20 years, and that may be due to the Somali culture.

This may be your experience and I have no reason to think it isn't true BUT it's not the same experience they are having in Minnesota.

One question - how big is the Somali population where you are? In Minneapolis - Saint Paul it's over 100,000. One thing they have seen over & over again in Europe is when Muslim populations concentrate into a restricted area and reach certain critical population thresholds, the communities behavior changes from "cooperative" to "confrontational".

This may be your experience and I have no reason to think it isn't true BUT it's not the same experience they are having in Minnesota.

One question - how big is the Somali population where you are? In Minneapolis - Saint Paul it's over 100,000. One thing they have seen over & over again in Europe is when Muslim populations concentrate into a restricted area and reach certain critical population thresholds, the communities behavior changes from "cooperative" to "confrontational".

The most liberal of news outlets calls him a "Somali refugee". They may have been scoop-happy, but they said refugee

Thanks for the reply - I really was not aware of the situation in Minneapolis.

Good question - I'm in Columbus OH, I believe our Somali population is in the area of 40,000, so you've got us beat there by quite a bit. In 1998, we were told that Somalis were emigrating primarily to three cities: Minneapolis, Columbus, and one other city, but I can't remember which one. I wasn't sure why that was - may have been word of mouth by the first wave coming over.

Yeah, we did have some culture clashes at work for a while, you can imagine what those were. But everyone settled down and at least made an attempt to play nice.

Maybe we're just fortunate in Cowtown. We did have that machete incident earlier this year where a Somali guy (at least I think he was Somali) attacked a musician at a restaurant. That one was just strange. Maybe the attacker doesn't like McGuffey Lane covers or something, I dunno.

Thanks for the reply - I really was not aware of the situation in Minneapolis.

Good question - I'm in Columbus OH, I believe our Somali population is in the area of 40,000, so you've got us beat there by quite a bit. In 1998, we were told that Somalis were emigrating primarily to three cities: Minneapolis, Columbus, and one other city, but I can't remember which one. I wasn't sure why that was - may have been word of mouth by the first wave coming over.

Yeah, we did have some culture clashes at work for a while, you can imagine what those were. But everyone settled down and at least made an attempt to play nice.

Maybe we're just fortunate in Cowtown. We did have that machete incident earlier this year where a Somali guy (at least I think he was Somali) attacked a musician at a restaurant. That one was just strange. Maybe the attacker doesn't like McGuffey Lane covers or something, I dunno.

The previous machete attack may have been ISIS inspired and the target business was owned by an Israeli, which could explain the motivation:

https://pjmedia.com/homeland-securi...ant-yet-another-case-of-known-wolf-terrorism/

I would also note that while it's good that the work experience of some of these Somali refugees has been positive for you, work is only one facet of "assimilation". A key component of assimilation, observed among previous migrants like the Germans, Italians & Irish, was a rapid & high rate of "intermarriage" between these new (and seen at the time to be very alien) migrants and the native population. Italian ghettos, which I have a personal family history of, quickly disappeared as the migrants spread out into America and intermarried with the general American population.

Angry Michigan fan.

there

Someone had to say it

On Facebook today there is an alleged Twitter going around by a supposed Michigan fan who said this incident was "Karma" biting us OSU cheaters on the butt because of Saturday's game. Not being on Twitter, I have no way of verifying its veracity.

On Facebook today there is an alleged Twitter going around by a supposed Michigan fan who said this incident was "Karma" biting us OSU cheaters on the butt because of Saturday's game. Not being on Twitter, I have no way of verifying its veracity.

Twitter can be a cesspool so for sure that kind of "tweet" sounds plausible. I've seen posts asking the whereabouts of Jebrill Peppers or John Harbaugh. I guess our ability to make "jokes" during tough times is a survival instinct. Or maybe just bad taste. Or maybe both.

http://archive.azcentral.com/commun...e-proposal-leads-to-attack-on-woman-abrk.html

A Mesa man was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of assault and robbery after police say he threatened her when she rejected his marriage proposal.

Police said Cameron Jacob Braatz, 26, was waiting outside the woman’s apartment complex in the 2000 block of West Southern Avenue when he jumped into her car, pulled out an engagement ring, and told her: “I am going to go with you. You are not leaving me today. I am going to follow you everywhere.”

The woman told Braatz to get out of her car, but was so persistent that he even followed her into a bathroom at a nearby convenience store, according to a court document.

Braatz made threats and pulled out a 12-inch flip knife from his waistband. Braatz did not open the knife but did begin to wrestle with the woman, according to a court document.

Police said he then grabbed her car keys out of her hand and took off running to an unknown location.

Braatz’s jeans were later found with a receipt in the pocket showing a recent purchase of gloves and duct tape.

Braatz will face charges in robbery, assault, disorderly conduct and threatening and intimidating, police said.