Wrestling Participation, By the Numbers

Lambeau Fields

Participation will explode this year due to the dreaded singlet no longer being compulsory. Especially at the middle school level where there is a swelling subpopulation of kids who were just itching to get on the mat if it weren't for the most feared words in all of sports: the singlet.

:party:

skruphy

they say that sitting in a gym all day is rough on parents because they only watch their wrestler for a few minutes .... i think that is more of a incitement of our society than anything else... i live in a small community the whole team was my favorites...... i was as invested in what they did on the mat as i was for my own son. i had 4 of 5 kids from each weight class from different schools around that i watched and cheered for. we had kids from other schools eating with us and joking and having fun. the feeling of community is diminished as we become more "global", and we are less for it not greater.

Huge

Kids just have more options than ever nowadays for sports and other activities. It's not a bad thing. Parents don't need to go if the events boor them. Your kid will be fine without you. Back in the day my parents only came to local matches on Friday Saturday night only traveling for districts and states. They worked. I almost never missed a match of my sons but that's because I love it. When my daughter did gymnastics I learned to understand and appreciate the sport and to cheer on her teammates. Made a lot of nice friends in both cases. Anyway, the point is don't obsess over the numbers . Things change. The important thing is that there is a rabid core of enthusiasts and if the USA team continues to excel and get some media attention, the next generation will emerge.

pwarriors

The
Participation will explode this year due to the dreaded singlet no longer being compulsory. Especially at the middle school level where there is a swelling subpopulation of kids who were just itching to get on the mat if it weren't for the most feared words in all of sports: the singlet.

:party:
singlet is not the problem for kids not coming out. There are a few that dont like it. The problem is that the kids these days are too soft for the work that needs to be put in to be even just decent at this awesome sport.

MPhillips

The

singlet is not the problem for kids not coming out. There are a few that dont like it. The problem is that the kids these days are too soft for the work that needs to be put in to be even just decent at this awesome sport.
🤭
I love these threads.