Wrestling at the Arnold Classic

Ohio TofC

I have recently been approached, by the Arnold Classic people, to see if I would be interested in running a wrestling event during the Arnold Classic. I did attend the Arnold Classic Sports Meeting, on December 1, but the only commitment I have yet made, is that I would have a one on one meeting with Jim Lorimar, who heads the overall Classic, sometime next week.

Obviously, we all know that the event is held the same weekend as the State High School Tournament. There is no way that I want any wrestling portion to conflict with this event, meaning any wrestling at the Arnold Classic would have to occur on Sunday, March 6.

What I did want to get was everyone's feeling on wrestling at this event. I know that past events there have not gone well and I want to hear what folks did or did not like. That way, I can make a honest assessment as to whether wrestling can financially survive at this event.

Please e-mail me suggestions you may have, what entry fee you would be willing to pay (the Arnold Classic gets all gate admission), age groups, should kids have to qualify, should it be open up to non Ohio wrestlers (and if you lived out of state, would you be willing to travel in to Ohio for a Sunday only event), etc... You can e-mail me at bart@ohiotofc.com

Bart Freidenberg

Arnold

My son wrestled at Second States this year. Pretty poorly attended, I think, mainly because there was so little hype. The venue, Nationwide Arena, was great and there were some military sponsors. We brought along about 4 other kids who had no idea that it was going on and they had a blast getting in one last match. I think it COULD catch on, especially with the arena and the association with the Arnold but I would strongly suggest you hype it up and/or affiliate it with something where it would serve as a qualifier for some national tournament [ie., although too soon in the year, like a Super 32 qualifier]. My .02:stirthepot:

My son wrestled in this last tournament. I have to say to have the whole Nation Wide Arena for a total of about 100 wrestlers blew me away. Has to be a rather large expense for that small of a turn out. Much like countingthelights said I heard about this more from hear say. It was not very well promoted. To be honest we were going to go to The Arnold Classic anyway. It fit well for us because for about the same price as admission to The Arnold Classic my son got to do the tournament and get a pass for the Expo.

This is called Second Chance State. Promote it better at the sectional sites and districts and maybe some clubs like you do TofC.

OURWAY held their Championship as part of the Arnold Classic in 2009. The event went well, as I recall. The arena was incredible. However, I think it was expensive and heard there were some issues between Ourway & Aronold organizations (contract stuff). This is all hearsay, but you may want to speak with someone from OURWAY to get their take.

WOW used to run a tournament a few years back with the arnold not very well attended but tough comp then it seemed Ourway took its place what now 2 tournaments????doubt it will go well if on the same weekend

yes, i agree with lcast. took my son thier and even though he won his weight class, stated to me that he would not return. very poorly run, and seemed to give the scholarship away to some1 that was out classed on the matt as well as in the classroom.