Wrestlers make great 800m runners

Savage_B

This is my annual post telling track coaches to recruit wrestlers to run the 800m. Wrestlers train to wrestle three 2 minute periods with little to no break between periods...Anyway they will be primed to full out sprint 800m.

If you can get a wrestler to actual do anything but wrestle. They get it crammed down their throat that they have to wrestle all year around.

because wrestlers have "tournaments" all spring.

Our football coaches tells kids to run track and lift later. He is a smart

wrestlers have the mentality that works, but the talent? Not always true. I've actually had more success with soccer guys than wrestlers.

I am a wrestling coach who ran cross country to get in shape for wrestling. I love cross training. Body needs a break from wrestling. Go run.

One word....TRUE. Wrestlers have great stamina and I know of one that Lake prolly doesn't even know hes a distance runner. Payton Morrison. And no I am not his dad.

What I'm about to type is not about anybody in particular, just a general curiosity.

I do have to wonder how many that complain that the wrestling/football/whatever coaches try to get athletes to train their sport year round also thought a runner joining the swim team was a bad idea.

This is my annual post telling track coaches to recruit wrestlers to run the 800m. Wrestlers train to wrestle three 2 minute periods with little to no break between periods...Anyway they will be primed to full out sprint 800m.

I dunno...

yahootongue.gif

doc4f542fe43c137604121012.jpg

One word....TRUE. Wrestlers have great stamina and I know of one that Lake prolly doesn't even know hes a distance runner. Payton Morrison. And no I am not his dad.

Wrestlers are good pole vaulters (usually). Larger ones for throws, but has nothing to do with fitness. Have good coordination.

Upper weights good throwers, little guys make great distance-mid distance, middle weights make good pole vaulters and sprinters. What I am getting at is that wrestlers are great athletes period because it offers something for everyone who is willing to work. Track also offers something for most people.

Upper weights good throwers, little guys make great distance-mid distance, middle weights make good pole vaulters and sprinters. What I am getting at is that wrestlers are great athletes period because it offers something for everyone who is willing to work. Track also offers something for most people.

Have you ever seen a wrestler try to play basketball?

I dunno...

yahootongue.gif

doc4f542fe43c137604121012.jpg

A cool pic' of a Graham wrestler after winning state.
1236494007.jpg

Still not sure if Max coulda' been a good 800m runner. (haha) Wrestlers are tough. Have a great pain tolerance. The 800m is kinda like a wrestling match. Short but your HR is elevated the entire time.
Every fall I see Freshman 105/112 lb wrestlers who look to have potential as XC runners.

I know of a pretty good wrestler who made state this year and last year but can not compete time wise against people on his own team because he has no leg endurance. Yeah he can control his heart rate and keep it in check but that is just his heart, not his head or the mindset of the 800.

I do agree with the basic premise that wrestlers have the right mentality to be good 400/800m runners. I also think they make good PV people.

A lot of HS sports suffer due to the specialization and year-round competition that is seemingly required in other sports.

One of my sons did OK at the pole vault.....he wrestled 171, and had a lot of upper body strength, while another had a pretty good future as an 800/1500 runner, but did not compete after his sophomore year.

When I was in high school, we had a great cross country team, and several of them were also wrestlers--a couple of them broke 10 minutes for 2 miles.

I'd like to see more kids spread it around and compete for their schools in various sports, but that doesn't seem to be the reality of things today. The drive to go to state in all the sports tends to make kids specialize on a sport year-round, instead of getting the experience of competing in other sports.

I would encourage every wrestler to at least try track/XC. It's a great experience for someone who wants to work and stay in shape, while lowering the strain a bit on your body. As for the drive to make it to state in a sport leading to specialization: I think that playing multiple sports can enhance your chances if you choose to stick through them. Placed in track three years and qualified in wrestling one year. Sure, specializing in just one sport may allow them to focus solely on improving what they need to work on for that sport, but they may be surprised how the skills learned in one sport can transfer to another. Just a thought.

I would encourage every wrestler to at least try track/XC.

Way back when it seemed like more wrestlers ran XC than now.
Always point him out when talking wrestling and XC; Tim Dernlan from West Liberty Salem a 3x state wrestling champ also qualified for state XC, finishing top half of the pack.

Roeth

Greg Roeth from Miamisburg was one of the top wrestlers and runners in the state back in 2007/2008. In 2008, I remember him taking a league championship (GWOC) 1600 race out in 55 seconds and the only one that could catch him was Danny Neff. You might question Greg's strategy but never his guts!