Worthington cancel fall sports

I've heard from a trusted source that FB is going forward. 6-week regular season, then playoffs except where every school is eligible for 1st week of playoffs. Goal is to be wrapped up by Nov. 21 with season. This is what it's looking like. Kids & parents want this.

I've heard from a trusted source that FB is going forward. 6-week regular season, then playoffs except where every school is eligible for 1st week of playoffs. Goal is to be wrapped up by Nov. 21 with season. This is what it's looking like. Kids & parents want this.
Your trusted source must have read the social media posts from OHSAA

So let me get all this straight. We vote people to serve on the School Board. These people make a decision on school starting or sports or whatever it is. Some loud mouth parents disagree and the School Board reverses it's decision. A decision that should have been an educated decision to begin with. I'm not taking sides right or wrong, but I would not vote for a single one of those Board Members that changed their mind when voting time came around again, and I would probably go to them and ask them to resign. Have Board meetings and allow people to voice their opinions and make a decision.

"Close the city and tell the people that something's coming to call
Death and darkness are rushing forward to take a bite from the wall, oh

You've nothing to say
They're breaking away
If you listen to fools...
The Mob Rules
The Mob Rules

Kill the spirit and you'll be blinded, the end is always the same
Play with fire, you burn your fingers and lose your hold of the flame, oh

It's over, it's done
The end is begun
The Mob Rules

You've nothing to say
Oh, They're breaking away

Break the circle and stop the movement, the wheel is thrown to the ground
Just remember it might start rolling and take you right back around

You're all fools!
The Mob Rules!"

Most school board members that I've known try to reflect the will of the community. There are some who come in with a particular agenda, but I'm not convinced that's true of most SB members.

Elections are a great way to get rid of SB members when their views no longer represent those of the community. However, in crisis situations elections don't move with the necessary speed. The disconnect means petition drives, angry community board meetings, etc. The community isn't always well-informed of the issues driving school boards to make the decisions they make, but creating discord creates long term problems for SB's to get recommended levies passed in the future. They have to balance the long and short term concerns and are often in no-win situations. I'm not sure they deserve condemnation for reversing directions in every case in our current situation.

There has been 4 months of time for Board meetings. Did they not get the communities input before making the initial decision? They obviously felt they had to jump out in front and make this big bold decision. They can't back it up? I'm not saying what they did was right or wrong, but they obviously had no real convictions to do it, but did it anyway. Not worthy of anymore votes. IMO

So let me get all this straight. We vote people to serve on the School Board. These people make a decision on school starting or sports or whatever it is. Some loud mouth parents disagree and the School Board reverses it's decision. A decision that should have been an educated decision to begin with. I'm not taking sides right or wrong, but I would not vote for a single one of those Board Members that changed their mind when voting time came around again, and I would probably go to them and ask them to resign. Have Board meetings and allow people to voice their opinions and make a decision.

"Close the city and tell the people that something's coming to call
Death and darkness are rushing forward to take a bite from the wall, oh

You've nothing to say
They're breaking away
The Mob Rules
The Mob Rules

Kill the spirit and you'll be blinded, the end is always the same
Play with fire, you burn your fingers and lose your hold of the flame, oh

It's over, it's done
The end is begun
The Mob Rules

You've nothing to say
Oh, They're breaking away

Break the circle and stop the movement, the wheel is thrown to the ground
Just remember it might start rolling and take you right back around

You're all fools!
The Mob Rules!"
Agree with you, that is how about 50% of the country is governed now, by mobs. First sane stuff you've said in awhile. Welcome back!

So you see speaking your mind as "loud mouthed"? If it is just "some loud mouth parents" wouldn't someone like you that has an opinion about everything at the front of the line? This does not mean I disagree or you are wrong because I do not know if the school board learned the feelings of their constituents prior to the vote. There was no previous pandemics so both sides were caught off guard in that respect. If the board voted to hold winter classes outside in January, would it be "loud mouthed parents" who object? Why paint it all with a broad brush wihout knowing the situation? I changed my mind on grading and other issues as a 30+ year teacher after listening to kids and realizing I was unintentionally not acting in their best interests. Maybe the board did not do their research prior to the vote and/or heard compelling arguments that helped them change their mind. Of course, maybe not.

So you see speaking your mind as "loud mouthed"? If it is just "some loud mouth parents" wouldn't someone like you that has an opinion about everything at the front of the line? This does not mean I disagree or you are wrong because I do not know if the school board learned the feelings of their constituents prior to the vote. There was no previous pandemics so both sides were caught off guard in that respect. If the board voted to hold winter classes outside in January, would it be "loud mouthed parents" who object? Why paint it all with a broad brush wihout knowing the situation? I changed my mind on grading and other issues as a 30+ year teacher after listening to kids and realizing I was unintentionally not acting in their best interests. Maybe the board did not do their research prior to the vote and/or heard compelling arguments that helped them change their mind. Of course, maybe not.

In my district, they formed a committee of parents, teachers, administrators, the school board, and business leaders to discuss potential actions to take. Unfortunately, there could only be a couple people representing each of those groups. There's no way to ensure groups that small acccurately represent the evolving views of the general public.

Furthermore, recommendations from the state have been wishy-washy and ever-changing. That is mirrored at the county/local health department level. A plan is put together in the morning only to have new "guidance" issued a few hours later.

Schools aren't private businesses. School Boards can't just say this is the way it is without creating animosity with voters that extends into other situations for years to come.

Is it possible that some school boards have made some knee-jerk reactions? Sure, but just because it appears as a knee-jerk reaction doesn't mean that it is one. You may be very familiar with the Woodridge School Board and maybe that is how they operate on a consistent basis. However, if your local school board has made deliberative decisions in the past, I wouldn't be too quick to indict them for changing their minds on almost anything COVID-related.

In my district, they formed a committee of parents, teachers, administrators, the school board, and business leaders to discuss potential actions to take. Unfortunately, there could only be a couple people representing each of those groups. There's no way to ensure groups that small acccurately represent the evolving views of the general public.

Furthermore, recommendations from the state have been wishy-washy and ever-changing. That is mirrored at the county/local health department level. A plan is put together in the morning only to have new "guidance" issued a few hours later.

Schools aren't private businesses. School Boards can't just say this is the way it is without creating animosity with voters that extends into other situations for years to come.

Is it possible that some school boards have made some knee-jerk reactions? Sure, but just because it appears as a knee-jerk reaction doesn't mean that it is one. You may be very familiar with the Woodridge School Board and maybe that is how they operate on a consistent basis. However, if your local school board has made deliberative decisions in the past, I wouldn't be too quick to indict them for changing their minds on almost anything COVID-related.

What I was trying to say without the skill to put it in such undrstandable terms. Thanks for the help! Lord knows I need it.

Didn't say I would kill them, just wouldn't vote for them.

My exception would be if there was an expert that they had relied on that was flat out wrong and that was proven, or if they were relying on data that was wrong or had changed drastically. Psycho_dad and his friends that love CC should not factor in the decision. If for some reason the decision needed knowledge of track and field, Cafeteria and commercial kitchen design or residential kitchen and bath design, I would be there sharing my expert knowledge.

4 months and countless board meetings should have been enough to come to a decision. Do you think expert information came to light that they didn't know about?

Didn't say I would kill them, just wouldn't vote for them.

My exception would be if there was an expert that they had relied on that was flat out wrong and that was proven, or if they were relying on data that was wrong or had changed drastically. Psycho_dad and his friends that love CC should not factor in the decision. If for some reason the decision needed knowledge of track and field, Cafeteria and commercial kitchen design or residential kitchen and bath design, I would be there sharing my expert knowledge.

4 months and countless board meetings should have been enough to come to a decision. Do you think expert information came to light that they didn't know about?

I think we are just beginning to gain some understanding of how this virus affects kids and how/when it is transmitted. So yes, I think there is lots of expert information coming to light on a daily basis.

I think we are just beginning to gain some understanding of how this virus affects kids and how/when it is transmitted. So yes, I think there is lots of expert information coming to light on a daily basis.
Fair enough. Just looking at what the MAC has done and I just heard the BIG10 might cancel Fall sports. This is going to be a bigger mess than it already is.

In March the top medical experts in the country told us not to buy masks because they did not stop the virus. Now, it seems the survival of the human race depends on everyone wearing masks. You must hold this board of education to higher decision making standards than the top people in the medical field.

Once again for the people in the back...literally the purpose of science and experts is to improve our knowledge about stuff, like masks and the virus. March is very long ago in the life of Covid-19.

Once again for the people in the back...literally the purpose of science and experts is to improve our knowledge about stuff, like masks and the virus. March is very long ago in the life of Covid-19.
Yes, we learn more. But,

they knew masks could help back then in high density populations. They wanted to save them for 1st responders (after China went around the world cleaning out countries), so they told people they didn't need them. Trump said cover your face, people laughed at him and told him he was making stuff up. They should have just been truthful, but that is a problem for people that think the government can fix everything, they have a problem with the truth. "We did it for the better good." So now people don't believe them. Same thing with Hydroxy. It works well for most people all over the world, but not here for some reason "according to experts". I think big pharma is behind that. Why would they want to sell $0.50 pills when they can sell $500 pills? It really is that simple. If things don't make sense, follow the money.

There is a reason that sane people don't believe the media and "experts", because they can see reality right in front of them.

When the order from earlier in July was renewed, I think a lot of districts thought there was no way to meet that standard. When the question was asked last Tuesday as to whether that order applied to high school sports, people may have been surprised at the governor's response that it was never intended to be for high school sports. That can be VERY eye opening as new evidence. I just wish they would work on putting a new order in place to give schools some time to meet the restrictions.