"Worst Programs" to have EVER won a Playoff Title

What a dumb thread. If you win 5 post season games in a row, you are doing something right.

Kind of hard to be considered "worst" when you win a state championship.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think this is quite an interesting idea. I'll throw out Lebanon and Loveland as big schools from southwest Ohio that won state titles and are a little off the beaten path from the usual suspects. Obviously those weren't bad teams...goes without saying

Listen, I'm in agreement for most part. I'm just using a different twist, and like to hear those that had the Fortune of winning one despite poor histories.

It beats Massillon and Mentor getting railed consistently, wouldn't you agree?

You are just trying to stir things up at the expense of high school kids. That's your only point here because you know it will devolve into a complete $h!t show.

You could call this "Biggest Underdog Programs to Win a State Title" I would look for teams with a losing record all-timr who had one magical year and won it all.

That information can be hard to find, however.

The first one that springs to mind as a possible is Lima Senior winning the D1 title in 1996.

Another is Fort Recovery winning D7 in 2015, though they did so in the middle of a solid stretch for their program after many down years.

You could call this "Biggest Underdog Programs to Win a State Title" I would look for teams with a losing record all-timr who had one magical year and won it all.

That information can be hard to find, however.

The first one that springs to mind as a possible is Lima Senior winning the D1 title in 1996.

Another is Fort Recovery winning D7 in 2015, though they did so in the middle of a solid stretch for their program after many down years.

Agreed. For a number of reasons this one sticks out. a.) NW Ohio D1 school b.) ended the evil empire's streak c.) D1 inner city school d.) Had to beat 3 private schools during their playoff run d.) while not a door mat program (made state semis in '89 and made playoffs in '93) was not a yearly state contender e.) hasn't been back since. But for one glorious season everything clicked talent wise.

Edit - Lima was also a 3 seed in their region behind SJJ and Troy. Had Lima lost a 2nd game they may never have had the chance as this was under the 4 teams per region system.

Last edited:
I had to do it. Complete opposite of popular thread going on right now...

Let's hear it...

Lets call these ONE HIT WONDERS

Wauseon - state champs in '93. Hasn't made a run since. Not exactly a "storied" program
Sunbury Big Walnut - state champs in 2007, state semis in '08, last playoff appearance was 2011, prior to 2000 they had 0 playoff appearances.
Sandusky Perkins - state champs in '99, haven't reached the final four since
Loveland - state champs in 2013. not a traditional football powerhouse by any means
Lisbon David Anderson - state champs in '95. last state semi appearance was '95.
Galion - state champs in '85. haven't been back to the final four since
Fairfield - state champs in '86. haven't been back to the final four since
Dublin Scioto - state champs in '95. haven't been back since. ALSO the year Scioto opened as a school. So you could say it's been downhill ever since.
Defiance - state champs in '97, have been not great lately. 8 losing seasons in the last decade. not to dump on Defiance any more BUT '97 was also their only WBL crown. So '97 was a pretty special team IMO.
Cincinnati Purcell Marian - state champs in '86. last state semi appearance was '97, last playoff appearance was '00

Last edited:
Dublin Scioto was D-2 that first year but went D-1 fairly quickly after that . Dublin's second HS had some good players from a solid Dublin program{ Coffman or the original Dublin HS} Including Nick Goings the ultimate bell cow at RB who rushed for 5785 yards in his career with 82 Td's{ first two varsity seasons at Coffman } . He rushed for 2500 yards with a whopping 38 Td's in his one season at Scioto as a Senior . Ohio state for a year then Pitt for three years and was the only undrafted free agent to make the Carolina Panthers in 2001 . Played a handful of years on Carolina with some success at times at the RB position { a handful and change 100 yard rushing games in 2003 and a few more after in his career and a great special teams guy} . Fun fact . He capped his gaudy HS career and state title his Senior year with being named MVP in the Ohio North South all star game as well as the Big 33 game.

Scioto went to a state D-1 final 4 in 2003 , the year it was an All Dublin Regional final with Scioto beating Coffman 24-14 and their great QB Jack Rafferty who accounted for 3200 yards including 1357 rushing and 20 TD's [ and Threw 27 TD passes . Rafferty got hurt mid third quarter diminishing Coffman's hopes . Scioto has had some good solid teams and has a class head coach in Karl Johnson , so not a one hit wonder per se , because they have had some good teams , but yes never approached that level after 2003 .

Scioto went to a state D-1 final 4 in 2003 , the year it was an All Dublin Regional final with Scioto beating Coffman 24-14 and their great QB Jack Rafferty who accounted for 3200 yards including 1357 rushing and 20 TD's [ and Threw 27 TD passes . Rafferty got hurt mid third quarter diminishing Coffman's hopes . Scioto has had some good solid teams and has a class head coach in Karl Johnson , so not a one hit wonder per se , because they have had some good teams , but yes never approached that level after 2003 .

Went back and checked, you right.

Since somebody brought up Ft. Recovery, and I don't consider them a bad program in any way, but can anyone think of any other team who has won a State Title that has never won their league championship, ever ?

You are just trying to stir things up at the expense of high school kids. That's your only point here because you know it will devolve into a complete $h!t show.

and yet, it hasn't. In English I was told "worst" doesn't mean "bad." ;) Go with it, maybe you have something to contribute in the right mindset. We hear all the time about the perrenials. Here's a chance to celebrate those one-time in a million.

Around here, I'd say Sylvania Southview, which has fallen on hard times. The right set of kids at the right time in an exciting win over defending Cinci Anderson. The play I remember most though of their run was in freezing Fremont Ross' Don Paul against Hoban. Joplin got the intercept and defense immediately changed to offense as the kids set up a diagonal downfield taking out potential tacklers as Joplin ran all the way in for the score. pluck-pluck-pluck-score.

Fairfield '86...Upper Arlington '2000?...were both basically 1-hit wonders. Both very good that year (especially Arlington), but never steady contenders.

Lets call these ONE HIT WONDERS

Wauseon - state champs in '93. Hasn't made a run since. Not exactly a "storied" program
Sunbury Big Walnut - state champs in 2007, state semis in '08, last playoff appearance was 2011, prior to 2000 they had 0 playoff appearances.
Sandusky Perkins - state champs in '99, haven't reached the final four since
Loveland - state champs in 2013. not a traditional football powerhouse by any means
Lisbon David Anderson - state champs in '95. last state semi appearance was '95.
Galion - state champs in '85. haven't been back to the final four since
Fairfield - state champs in '86. haven't been back to the final four since
Dublin Scioto - state champs in '95. haven't been back since. ALSO the year Scioto opened as a school. So you could say it's been downhill ever since.
Defiance - state champs in '97, have been not great lately. 8 losing seasons in the last decade. not to dump on Defiance any more BUT '97 was also their only WBL crown. So '97 was a pretty special team IMO.
Cincinnati Purcell Marian - state champs in '86. last state semi appearance was '97, last playoff appearance was '00

Perkins was the first 15-0 champ. Also, very lucky Ironton's coach opted to go for it on 4th and inches deep in own territory. I'm thinking Punt would have sealed the deal.

Perkins was the first 15-0 champ. Also, very lucky Ironton's coach opted to go for it on 4th and inches deep in own territory. I'm thinking Punt would have sealed the deal.

Actually Poland was the first 15-0 state champion. They won the D3 title the day before Perkins won D4. Thinking about it now I think Delphos St. John also did it earlier the same day as Perkins. All three teams were 15-0.

I don't know with certainty that any of the 109 schools to win at least one state title have an overall losing record but I do know that 12 of them have a losing playoff record. As Maple_City_Fan mentioned Galion has lost 8 in a row since winning their title. Galion does have the lowest playoff winning percentage of all the champions. However the 8 consecutive playoff losses by Galion is the not the most consecutive playoff losses by a champion.

Can anybody tell me the school that holds that dubious distinction? Number of consecutive losses also please.

Agreed. For a number of reasons this one sticks out. a.) NW Ohio D1 school b.) ended the evil empire's streak c.) D1 inner city school d.) Had to beat 3 private schools during their playoff run d.) while not a door mat program (made state semis in '89 and made playoffs in '93) was not a yearly state contender e.) hasn't been back since. But for one glorious season everything clicked talent wise.

Edit - Lima was also a 3 seed in their region behind SJJ and Troy. Had Lima lost a 2nd game they may never have had the chance as this was under the 4 teams per region system.

In 1996 Lima Sr. was 13-1; without using Google ~ can you name the team they lost to
in the regular season?

:>---

SALT

I don't know with certainty that any of the 109 schools to win at least one state title have an overall losing record but I do know that 12 of them have a losing playoff record.
I dont know Fort Recovery's overall record but I'm thinking it's still below .500.

I personally think this is quite an interesting idea. I'll throw out Lebanon and Loveland as big schools from southwest Ohio that won state titles and are a little off the beaten path from the usual suspects. Obviously those weren't bad teams...goes without saying

I am not sure I would rate Lebanon as a poor program; or even Loveland; they were good for a D2 program; not so much when for most years were in R4 with Moe, Elder, Princeton, X.

a better question is; has there ever been a state champion if they were in a different region wouldn't have made the playoffs? obviously in the early years when only 1 or 2 teams made it from a region, there might be a few, so; since they went to 4 teams/region, has there ever been a state champion that wouldn't have made the playoffs if they were in a different region in the same class? ex 2016State Champion St. X, would not have made the playoffs in R1 & R3.

Last edited:
I dont know Fort Recovery's overall record but I'm thinking it's still below .500.

The record I've seen for them is below .500 but I don't know that what I have seen includes every season they have played.
I am not sure I would rate Lebanon as a poor program; or even Loveland; they were good for a D2 program; not so much when for most years were in R4 with Moe, Elder, Princeton, X.

a better question is; has there ever been a state champion if they were in a different region wouldn't have made the playoffs? obviously in the early years when only 1 or 2 teams made it from a region, there might be a few, so; since they went to 4 teams/region, has there ever been a state champion that wouldn't have made the playoffs if they were in a different region in the same class? ex 2016 St. X, would not have made the playoffs in R1 & R3 that year they won the State.

I know that it has happened at least a few times. Besides the St. X example you mentioned one that immediately came to mind for me was Wauseon in 1993. I saw Wauseon defeat Youngstown Ursuline in the D3 semis that year. If I remember correctly Wauseon would not have qualified if they were in Ursuline's region. There have been others.