World Series

Orin Swift

Needed a thread for it. Been a great series so far. Astros just had the 2nd ever World Series no hitter, first since 1956.

Got a chuckle at one of the Fox guys, post game, saying “it’s a little extra sweet they didn’t give up a hit…it’s the first time I’ve said that all night.” Didn’t want to be the jinx 😂🤣

It's been a pretty compelling series so far. Phillies with the big comeback in game 1. Valdez and Javier both pitching the Astros back into the series.
Really just shows the oddity of baseball. How do you hit 5 home runs one day, and then get no hit the next? That's baseball.

So who you got tonight? Astros have home field advantage back. I'm guessing Astros come back with Valdez for game 6 and Javier for game 7 if necessary

No predictions from me. I would not mind seeing Dusty win a title,but I find myself pulling for the Phillies.

Great game last night, 2-2 pivotal game 5, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 with tying run on 3rd late, 9th inning catch up against the fence to save extra bases.

Have to explain that one for the kiddos. No one under 50 knows what pickle is.
Kids? Definitely. But we played all the time as kids. I’m in my early 30s, the neighborhood kids I grew up with ranged from 4 years younger to 2 years older.

Always root for the Phillies since going to the shore at Atlantic City for years with the kids...BAM!

I was rooting for anyone not named the Yankees or Dodgers so anything is gravy for me. That being said, I typically root for the underdog.

Happy for Dusty Baker. Was not a fan during his Dodgers / Giants years, but learned to like him during his time in Cincy. Quality man.

Good series, I was kind of rooting for the Astros because I'm tired of all the whining a few years ago. The Astros has put together a mini dynasty and they should be right there again next year. Verlander aside, theri two best pitchers is Valdez and Javier and their bullpen was incredible.
The Phillies exploded for 7 runs in game 3, the rest of the series the Phillies scored 3 runs in 27 innings. Game 5 was incredible with the Phlllies pulling out the close 3-2 win, Verlander got his first WS win and the play by McComick will be talked about for years to come.

This is only a sports story because it was the Astros celebration parade.
1667932362907.png

So this whack job decided at a world series celebration parade to throw a beer at US senator Ted Cruz. I mean what possesses a person who doesn't agree with a political stance, to take physical action like this? Did he think he could get away with it? Did he think he was going to change Cruz's policies?? What ever happened to respecting people? There is - or there still should be some kind of decorum for people to have in public. When and why did this change?

View attachment 35825
So this whack job decided at a world series celebration parade to throw a beer at US senator Ted Cruz. I mean what possesses a person who doesn't agree with a political stance, to take physical action like this? Did he think he could get away with it? Did he think he was going to change Cruz's policies?? What ever happened to respecting people? There is - or there still should be some kind of decorum for people to have in public. When and why did this change?
Oh, and are we shocked at all that he has a nose ring?

View attachment 35825

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by this. Lots of people who disagree with a political stance have done a lot worse recently.

I present this without commentary, but the great political divide escalated wildly shortly after the 2016 election. Right off the top of my head:
- Steve Scalise was shot at a Congressional ball game in 2017
- Nancy Pelosi's husband got cracked in the head with a hammer recently
- Hundreds of people broke into the Capitol in January 2021 looking to harm Congress people and hang the Vice President

Sorry - this nonsense belongs in the debate forum, but really this is not surprising at all. As one of the politician's who likes to use inflammatory language, Cruz should feel lucky that it was just a beer. There are lots of crazies on both sides of the political spectrum.

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by this. Lots of people who disagree with a political stance have done a lot worse recently.

I present this without commentary, but the great political divide escalated wildly shortly after the 2016 election. Right off the top of my head:
- Steve Scalise was shot at a Congressional ball game in 2017
- Nancy Pelosi's husband got cracked in the head with a hammer recently
- Hundreds of people broke into the Capitol in January 2021 looking to harm Congress people and hang the Vice President

Sorry - this nonsense belongs in the debate forum, but really this is not surprising at all. As one of the politician's who likes to use inflammatory language, Cruz should feel lucky that it was just a beer. There are lots of crazies on both sides of the political spectrum.
Great post, and yes, it's probably more of something for the debate forum, but it was at a celebration for the world series. So let's put ourselves in that spot. You're team ( mines the Reds) is having a parade after winning the world series. Everyone should be in a pretty good mood right?

Ted Cruz is a senator from Texas, so it's not "unusual" for him to be there. He may even had been invited by someone with the team. So....with that said, in what world is it appropriate to try to hurt a person of that stature? I mean really anyone, but this was specifically driven because Cruz is republican?? And we wonder why we can't get good people to run for public offices??? I just marvel at the mindset of people these days. My guess is there were some around this guy that cheered and got after the cops for arresting him.

Great post, and yes, it's probably more of something for the debate forum, but it was at a celebration for the world series. So let's put ourselves in that spot. You're team ( mines the Reds) is having a parade after winning the world series. Everyone should be in a pretty good mood right?

Ted Cruz is a senator from Texas, so it's not "unusual" for him to be there. He may even had been invited by someone with the team. So....with that said, in what world is it appropriate to try to hurt a person of that stature? I mean really anyone, but this was specifically driven because Cruz is republican?? And we wonder why we can't get good people to run for public offices??? I just marvel at the mindset of people these days. My guess is there were some around this guy that cheered and got after the cops for arresting him.
Oh we agree - it is never appropriate. I just said it was not surprising. I fear there will be more, worse happening in the coming weeks. The politicians fan the flames with their rhetoric, and some of them will feel the blowback. Sad state we are in.

Oh we agree - it is never appropriate. I just said it was not surprising. I fear there will be more, worse happening in the coming weeks. The politicians fan the flames with their rhetoric, and some of them will feel the blowback. Sad state we are in.
I feel there needs to be a strong use of force in these situations. It may seem heavy handed, but we need to start sending the message that this type of behavior isn't appropriate. In a weird way, it's just like the days when schools took away paddling. Once kids knew they were not getting paddled, behavior issues skyrocketed, and we've never got control back. Now we're not talking about beating kids, no one's in favor of that, but you have to have a deterrent or behavior continues. Nothing drive me bonkers or than parents who want to "talk" about everything with kids. For some kids, the message does not get there. Then they are adults and instead of punching a classmate, they throw a beer at a politician and feel it's justified.