World Cup 2022

Pretty big blow with Miles Robinson already out. CB will be a problem
I really think they would be lucky to get 1 positive result out of this group. Could even be ugly against England if the middle of the defense is wide open.

The US World Cup squad announcement event is happening today pretty close to where I live in NYC.

Would've looked into going if Vazquez was likely to make the squad.

GK: Matt Turner, Evan Horvath, Sean Johnson

D: Walker Zimmerman, Tim Ream, Sergino Dest, Antonee Robinson, DeAndre Yedlin, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Shaq Moore, Joe Scally, Aaron Long

M: Brendan Aaronson, Kellyn Acosta, Tyler Adams, Luca De La Torre, Weston McKennie, Yunus Musah, Cristian Roldan

F: Christian Pulisic, Tim Weah, Gio Reyna, Haji Wright, Jesus Ferreira, Jordan Morris, Josh Sargent

Couple surprises with Zach Steffen and Ricardo Pepi being left out but nothing really major.

I am not looking forward to this tournament interfering with college football and NFL TV usage at sports bars on Saturday and Sunday afternoons for the three weekends starting Thanksgiving weekend. There is zero momentum to watch a World Cup in late fall. I sense no excitement for this tournament at all.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Hopefully it’s a one off failure of a FIFA experiment
Looks like that is the case. The rumor going around the business side is that 2030 will be a 3 race with the multiple country format really taking hold. It will probably come down to a group of 4 South American countries w/ Argentina as the primary country, the Iberian peninsula (Spain & Portugal), and Northern Africa with Morocco as the primary country.

I am not looking forward to this tournament interfering with college football and NFL TV usage at sports bars on Saturday and Sunday afternoons for the three weekends starting Thanksgiving weekend. There is zero momentum to watch a World Cup in late fall. I sense no excitement for this tournament at all.

Probably won't be a big issue in your neck of the woods.

The latest game every day will be from 2 pm to 4 pm and it's only a single match, not multiple ones at the same time.

I'm sure everyone will still get to see their favorite NFL teams play without issue.

IF the USMNT gets a nice result against Wales, and that may be a big if, that Black Friday game against England could be one of the bigger ratings games for a US soccer match in quite some time.

Already a lot of ugly attempts at censorship by Qatar’s government and police force. Everyone knew Qatar getting the host was blatant corruption, hope it is a giant black eye on FIFA’s face as this comes to light.

Already a lot of ugly attempts at censorship by Qatar’s government and police force. Everyone knew Qatar getting the host was blatant corruption, hope it is a giant black eye on FIFA’s face as this comes to light.

Afraid that's going to just be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the Qatari BS over these next few weeks.

Afraid that's going to just be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the Qatari BS over these next few weeks.
And that is just the home team, as mentioned earlier the Iranian govt is dialed in on their national team and that final game against the US might become a highly political event despite the rumors that they will cause harm to player's families if they do not stay in line.

The Arabian peninsula could be the Vegas of that part of the world (with waterfronts) but it just so happens to be occupied by the biggest turd nuggets alive

I'm beating a dead horse here but having Berhalter manage this team has my enthusiasm for the tournament pretty low. There's no confidence he's going to get the tactics right or make the correct timely subs. He just hasn't shown these abilities thus far. That on top of major issues on the backline, I think we're looking at a possible 1 point World Cup performance

Last edited:
I thought the whole reason to host a World Cup was to shine a positive light on your country and show the visitors a good time. I guess Qatar didn’t get the memo.

I hope this tournament is a disaster, same as I hope LIV Golf never gains a significant fanbase.

Not a good start for the Middle Eastern sides.
  • Qatar basically was over matched by Ecuador and their fans left the stadium early, at the end of the game it sounded like Ecuador was the home team. Also the Ecuador fans started a very notable "we want beer" chant at the end of match.
  • Iran decided to not show up and was run ruled to the tune of 6-2 by England and it could have been worse. Iran's players did not sing the national anthem and back home the Iranian TV feed cut out when they saw the players just standing there during the anthem.
There were also problems before kick-off of the England match as fans experienced issues with their tickets with the FIFA app down, leading to swathes of empty seats at the Khalifa International Stadium close to kick-off.

Atmosphere at these games has been like some kind of youth tournament
The Senegal fans do have a great cheering section. I also saw some Dutch fans dressed up in Arab garb too, it was hilarious these tall guys wearing towels from the hotel on their heads with some made up long smocks. It really looked like they were mocking them

US controlling the bulk of the play through the first 8 minutes. Putting pressure on Wales, but need to be careful of their counter-attack

Are they holding the ball just to hold the ball though? Also McKenzie with a stupid yellow.

Pulisic got mugged and the ref pretty much ate his whistle. Announcers were saying if he's going to give soft yellows to the US that was an easy yellow against Wales

Pulisic looks strong so far, Wales is having trouble with him and there should have been a couple yellows on guys fouling because they couldn't keep up with his speed.

Good first half for the US squad. Will love to see some more speed coming off the bench in the 2nd half and see if they can't get a second goal.