World Athletics Championships

runohio

The World Athletics Championships are coming to the United States for the first time ever and will be held at Haywood Field in Eugene, Oregon on July 15–24. The World Athletics Championships is the jewel in the crown of World Athletics' global competition program. It is the third-largest sporting event in the world, involving approximately 2,000 athletes from more than 200 nations competing for 49 gold medals. The first World Championships in athletics was held in Helsinki in 1983. http://www.runohio.com/index.php/news-features/news/282-2022-world-athletics-championships

https://hayward.uoregon.edu

A few photos from the USA Outdoor Championships –
http://www.runohio.com/index.php/photos/2022

Last edited:

Here is a pretty useful and awesome guide for the championships that are slated to begin this upcoming Friday. It was written by a Floridian that is also a University of Florida fan so that is why there is information about the Florida high school and UF athletes that will be competing.

There is a day-to-day schedule with linked previews and stats from World Athletics, USA Team members, top three seasonal performers per event, TV and streaming options, and links to performance lists and athlete profiles look up.

Here is a pretty useful and awesome guide for the championships that are slated to begin this upcoming Friday. It was written by a Floridian that is also a University of Florida fan so that is why there is information about the Florida high school and UF athletes that will be competing.

There is a day-to-day schedule with linked previews and stats from World Athletics, USA Team members, top three seasonal performers per event, TV and streaming options, and links to performance lists and athlete profiles look up.

Kudos to the person who put that together! That's a lot of work.

The World Athletics Championships are coming to the United States for the first time ever and will be held at Haywood Field in Eugene, Oregon on July 15–24. The World Athletics Championships is the jewel in the crown of World Athletics' global competition program. It is the third-largest sporting event in the world, involving approximately 2,000 athletes from more than 200 nations competing for 49 gold medals. The first World Championships in athletics was held in Helsinki in 1983. http://www.runohio.com/index.php/news-features/news/282-2022-world-athletics-championships

A few photos from the USA Outdoor Championships –
http://www.runohio.com/index.php/photos/2022
"Haywood" Field? Come on. Phil Knight didn't throw all that money at the place to have people call it by the wrong name. o_O

Reminds me of when my favorite NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon did the honor of singing "Take Me out to the Ballgame" at a Cubs game and called the place "Wrigley Stadium."

I appreciate the links for viewing. Gonna have to figure out what services I need to subscribe to make sure to see the athletes I want to watch.

I've been biding my time on this one...as I have absoluetly "0" proof, or inside information....But, I'm going to subtlety raise the question of whether I'm alone in suggesting that perhaps...just perhaps...the Jamaican women sprinters are using better "supplements" than the rest of the competitors.
I even question whether Elaine Thompson-Herah is even the politically correct gender pronoun. Just Russian food for thought...

Last edited:
Incredibly proud of Abby Steiner. While I'm sure that she -- having not run her best race -- is disappointed, what a year she has had! Can you imagine if she'd been offered a year ago an immediate future that would include three gold medals in national competitions, a 5th in the World Championships, and a huge deal with Puma? Surely she would have signed on for all that in a heartbeat. She has gone from "one of" our American sprint hopefuls, to being a major, globally significant figure. With Paris looming just two years away, and the L.A. games just four years after that, and the world championships and all of her pro races in between, right in the middle of her prime years of 22-28, her future is incredibly bright. Her improvement in the past year is astonishing. And she's a Buckeye. Remember all the times we cheered her at state, and all the times she delivered such record-breaking performances, it is a rare phenomena that such a one goes on to this kind of greatness. We're proud of you, Abby. Stay healthy and close to your roots. Whatever you're doing is working. And Dublin Coffman Shamrocks, you really do rock! Congratulations.

I've been biding my time on this one...as I have absoluetly "0" proof, or inside information....But, I'm going to subtlety raise the question of whether I'm alone in suggesting that perhaps...just perhaps...the Jamaican women sprinters are using better "supplements" than the rest of the competitors.
I even question whether Elaine Thompson-Herah is even the politically correct gender pronoun. Just Russian food for thought...
It's the yams, mon!

ETH a DSD athlete or trans? Take your shít elsewhere, dbag. Evidently you haven’t followed her career closely. Let me assure you, ETH is a woman. There was one DSD athlete that competed in the finals and she finished 4th.

Folks like you that cast wild aspersions without a shred of evidence can stick it where the sun doesn’t shine.

Last edited:
ETH a DSD athlete or trans? Take your shít elsewhere, dbag. Evidently you haven’t her career closely. Let me assure you, ETH is a woman.

There was one DSD athlete that competed in the finals and she finished 4th. Folks like you that cast wild aspersions without a shred of evidence can stick it where the sun doesn’t shine.
Sounds like you disagree with the subject of my inquisitions. Which is all they are. That's fine. The whole thing was intended tongue-in-cheek more or less...But I don't appreciate the personal insults, significantly...In respect for this forum, I'll leave it at that, though it pains me to do so.

Last edited:
Sounds like you disagree with the subject of my inquisitions. Which is all they are. That's fine. The whole thing was intended tongue-in-cheek more or less...But I don't appreciate the personal insults, significantly...In respect for this forum, I'll leave it at that, though it pains me to do so.
If you’re going to throw around unfounded accusations, “which is all they are,” grow some sack and be willing to be called out on it.

I get a bit tired of athletes being accused of using PEDs, being DSD, or whatever, just because they might be performing at a level that they “shouldn’t” be. It’s sad that any top performance is now under a cloud of suspicion. Rhetoric such as what you’re spewing here and blatant cheaters like Lance Armstrong have brought us to that point, unfortunately. You would be appalled if you knew what a certain sprinter from Dublin, Ohio has been accused of by anonymous randos like you. These unfounded accusations are not good for the sport and it really gets old.

Also, “it pains me to do so.” ?

And in regards to ETH, she didn’t even have a good world championship performance by her standards. I’m not sure why you singled her out.

Last edited:
If you’re going to throw around unfounded accusations, “which is all they are,” grow some sack and be willing to be called out on it.

I get a bit tired of athletes being accused of using PEDs, being DSD, or whatever, just because they might be performing at a level that they “shouldn’t” be. It’s sad that any top performance is now under a cloud of suspicion. Rhetoric such as what you’re spewing here and blatant cheaters like Lance Armstrong have brought us to that point, unfortunately. You would be appalled if you knew what a certain sprinter from Dublin, Ohio has been accused of by anonymous randos like you. These unfounded accusations are not good for the sport and it really gets old.

Also, “it pains me to do so.” ?

And in regards to ETH, she didn’t even have a good world championship performance by her standards. I’m not sure why you singled her out.
I was willing to let it go with you calling me a "dbag" and telling me to "stick it," but now that yer uppin it with the "rando" insult, we're gonna need to take this outside. Capeesh?

I was willing to let it go with you calling me a "dbag" and telling me to "stick it," but now that yer uppin it with the "rando" insult, we're gonna need to take this outside. Capeesh?
Ooohh, you’re a big & bad keyboard warrior!! Too funny. I don’t believe that I’ve ever seen someone challenge another poster to a mano a mano on this forum.

It’s “capisce,” FWIW. Capisce?

Please let’s not turn this forum into letsrun. I enjoy posting here.

Nooks, you made, by your own admission, unfounded allegations of cheating. When you do that people will get mad. Some will call you on it. It‘s not ok. Not at all.

Congrats to the American women (and to Abby in particular) for a great gold medal race In the 4x100. Fifth fastest of all time. Fastest on American soil.

Abby really has improved every year she has competed in track. She won the state meet as a freshman, and was 1.2 seconds faster by her senior year. Now she is almost a second faster than as a HS senior. Last year’s achilles injury was tough, and may have cost her a spot in the Olympics. But she has been through setbacks before, and I was confident she’d have a good year this year. It has been great.

Pleasantly surprised that the American women defeated Jamaica in the 4x100. And disappointed that the men had yet another handdof problem. Although Degrasse was running as if he was on a mission.
Can't wait until my favorite- 4x400. But I truly can't see anybody competing with the USA

The Jamaican men have taken a significant step back these last few years. If you're accusations were true, wouldn't the men dominate just as much? Can't see them favoring the women's team over the men

Wonderful WC's. American women's throwing & putting (yes, it is the putting of the shot, not throwing the shot) had its best meet EVER. Outstanding competition throughout. Ohioans won multiple medals, including golds by Katie Nageotte & Abby Steiner, and a bronze by Bluffton/Ashland's Trevor Bassit. Only real disappointments I've had with the meet are:

1) Poor real-time results & website design by whoever was doing the WC's. The servers seemed to be bogged down by traffic early on.
2) False start issues that've we've already discussed and need a REAL study by independent studies involving world-class athletes and current block technologies.
3) Fan attendance. Never saw the stands FULL, and there were still many seats to be had on Sunday evening, the final day of the championships. I'm sure there are multiple reasons why, some of which involve the continued Covid reaction paranoia on the part of some people. However, part of me will continue to believe that many world-wide spectators that are athletics fanatics will NEVER be excited to visit some place called Eugene, Oregon in the middle of nowhere that is nothing more than a college town. The continued dependence & subservience by the USATF to Nike is doing a long-term disservice to track & field in the U.S., IMHO. USATF needs to end this and promote the sport throughout the entire U.S. by moving major meets out of Eugene. Nike is the 1000-lb gorilla in the room, and that needs to end.

3) Fan attendance. Never saw the stands FULL, and there were still many seats to be had on Sunday evening, the final day of the championships. I'm sure there are multiple reasons why, some of which involve the continued Covid reaction paranoia on the part of some people. However, part of me will continue to believe that many world-wide spectators that are athletics fanatics will NEVER be excited to visit some place called Eugene, Oregon in the middle of nowhere that is nothing more than a college town. The continued dependence & subservience by the USATF to Nike is doing a long-term disservice to track & field in the U.S., IMHO. USATF needs to end this and promote the sport throughout the entire U.S. by moving major meets out of Eugene. Nike is the 1000-lb gorilla in the room, and that needs to end.

Right on having 3 huge meet in a little over a month in part of the country that is extremely hard to get to from 95% of the US is a mistake. The stands were well under half full for much of the US championship and college meet. I assume it is quite expensive to get there. I am sure there is limited and expensive flights to fly directly into Eugene and if choose fly into Portland you have to rent a car.

If meets are at a more centralized location many more could drive and if near a major airport people could avoid car rental cost

Congrats again to Trevor Bassitt for getting the bronze medal in the 400 hurdles and picking up a gold medal by running the anchor leg in the prelims of the 4x400 relay.

One Shining Moment at the World Athletics 2022 Championships
1658786817495.png

Steph Chambers/Getty Image

Two fastest Americans ever in the 200m. On the right is the former US record holder from 1996 - Michael Johnson. On the left is the man who just broke his record - Noah Lyles

Last edited:
Mondo 6.21 20.4448 WR !!!!
Really? 20' 4 1/2"

20.4448 has NO meaning at al

Besides, the actual decimal conversion is 6.21m / (0.3048 m/ft) = 20.3740 feet, not 20.4448

I share your enthusiasm, though. I saw his dad vaulting at the 1988 Trial @ Indianapolis. His dad at 5' 5" had the most explosive rock-back I'd ever witnessed then, and even now I think still more explosive than his boy. That's where Mondo gets his speed...from his dad.

Really? 20' 4 1/2"

20.4448 has NO meaning at al

Besides, the actual decimal conversion is 6.21m / (0.3048 m/ft) = 20.3740 feet, not 20.4448

I share your enthusiasm, though. I saw his dad vaulting at the 1988 Trial @ Indianapolis. His dad at 5' 5" had the most explosive rock-back I'd ever witnessed then, and even now I think still more explosive than his boy. That's where Mondo gets his speed...from his dad.
6.21 meters to feet is 20 feet 4.488 or 20.4

Your first post on the subject said "Mondo 6.21 20.4448 WR !!!!"

.4448 feet is not 4.49 inches. That is what Javman was trying to tell you.