Woodstock Will Return This Summer, For Its 50th Anniversary

Fan of both old and new music, so I checked out the Coachella 2019 lineup. Of the following acts listed (which only includes ones where either I have downloaded their music, or I have at least listened to some of their music), the only one that might even be remotely considered rock would by Ty Segall (I have at least 10 of his songs downloaded):

1. Childish Gambino
2. Janelle Monáe
3. The 1975
4. Diplo
5. Jaden Smith
6. Beach Fossils
7. Tame Impala
8. Solange
9. Kid Cudi
10. Weezer
11. Aphex Twin
12. Wiz Khalifa
13. Mac DeMarco
14. Ty Segall
15. Ariana Grande
16. Khalid
17. CHVRCHES
18. Blood Orange
19. Unknown Mortal Orchestra

Holy Christ, I've literally never heard of more than 1/2 this list. Even most of the artists/bands I've ever heard of, I couldn't name any of their songs.

Holy Christ, I've literally never heard of more than 1/2 this list. Even most of the artists/bands I've ever heard of, I couldn't name any of their songs.

Just one for me.

Ive been more into country weekend concerts. Ft Loramie Ohio has a great one!

Just one for me.

Ive been more into country weekend concerts. Ft Loramie Ohio has a great one!

I’ve heard of Weezer, Whiz Khallifa, Kid Cudi, Childish Gambino (really more so as Donald Glover), Jaden Smith (as an actor), and Arianna Grande (more as a pop culture personality). The only band I could identify songs for is Weezer.

Anyone ever go to ACL or SXSW?

Been going to Austin on weekends for shows. Such a fun city to see live music.

Have seen Spoon Modest Mouse Arcade Fire and a bunch of others the past few years. Spoon puts on a great show.

IMO they one of the best bands of my generation who consistently put out good albums over a long period of time

I'm surprised I have heard of four before today: Childish Gambino (thanks to an earlier Auggie thread, iirc), Weezer, Ariande Grande (of course) and Khalid (maybe feat on an EDM tune?).

I am trying to broaden my horizons by listening to a different genre of music each day (Music Choice), having listened to Indie yesterday.

Used to regularly watch ACL on Saturday nights (about twenty years ago, lol), but don't know what happened to that - or those twenty years! Did catch the opening act of Trombone Shorty last weekend (iirc, lol).

:help:

Lol, you guys are crackin’ me up. Didn’t even show the whole lineup!

Coachella-2019.jpg

Anyone ever go to ACL or SXSW?

Been going to Austin on weekends for shows. Such a fun city to see live music.

Have seen Spoon Modest Mouse Arcade Fire and a bunch of others the past few years. Spoon puts on a great show.

IMO they one of the best bands of my generation who consistently put out good albums over a long period of time

Never went to the ACL Festival, but watch the PBS show from time to time and saw Arcade Fire and Spoon perform. Expected Arcade Fire to put on a great show (have a lot of their music), but remember being surprised by how good Spoon’s was. Only have like one Modest Mouse song, though, and have never seen them perform live.

Usually look up who’s playing SXSW, and think it’s up over 300 acts this year. Know a professor at Texas A&M, and she said she's never gone to it. If I lived anywhere near there, I would totally go.

Lol, you guys are crackin’ me up. Didn’t even show the whole lineup!

Coachella-2019.jpg

Interesting to see who is in the large fonts and who is in the smaller fonts. Last year was a game changer for this festival with the pre-fab "Bechella" PR machine in full force to get this thing on the front page of every media site in the US, this is how you get a lame live artist like Ariana Grande closing the festival. This thing now is all about substance over content, how many of these acts will still be relevant 5 years from now?

I read on a few music blogs I follow that the Woodstock guys are actively trying to get some of the legacy acts to show up at the Watkins Glenn event to give it some credibility. Hearing that Dead & Company will close a night and that Santana will also get a prime slot. There is also a strong rumor that they are throwing big $s to get Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young to play together for the first time in years but Graham Nash cannot even be in the same room as David Crosby so it might just be pieces parts of CSNY throughout the festival. Also The Who just announced a tour, I could see them playing this thing.

Interesting to see who is in the large fonts and who is in the smaller fonts. Last year was a game changer for this festival with the pre-fab "Bechella" PR machine in full force to get this thing on the front page of every media site in the US, this is how you get a lame live artist like Ariana Grande closing the festival. This thing now is all about substance over content, how many of these acts will still be relevant 5 years from now?

Agree on all points. Has totally sold out. I mean Ariana Grande?! C'mon. And, I'm not sure many of the acts are actually relevant now, much less in 5 years!

I read on a few music blogs I follow that the Woodstock guys are actively trying to get some of the legacy acts to show up at the Watkins Glenn event to give it some credibility. Hearing that Dead & Company will close a night and that Santana will also get a prime slot. There is also a strong rumor that they are throwing big $s to get Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young to play together for the first time in years but Graham Nash cannot even be in the same room as David Crosby so it might just be pieces parts of CSNY throughout the festival. Also The Who just announced a tour, I could see them playing this thing.

Guess it'll all depend on who the event organizer decides is its target audience. :shrug:

I missed the first one (Woodstock) and all subsequent such gatherings; I'll not attend
this one also.

:>---

EGA

I’ve heard of Weezer, Whiz Khallifa, Kid Cudi, Childish Gambino (really more so as Donald Glover), Jaden Smith (as an actor), and Arianna Grande (more as a pop culture personality). The only band I could identify songs for is Weezer.

Weezer I could know some of their songs.
Grande and Smith, guess I had heard of them but thought they were actors or whatever.

Many of these events are more about people just being able to put on Instagram, tweeter, Facebook, myspace, snapchat, etc that they are at some "cool" event and less about the actual music.

Sometimes I wonder these days, and not just in this instance, is how much are they really interested in going to/doing certain events or are they just more interested in putting it on social media.

I think too many people are more interested in putting it on social media than actually going and doing said event.

We used to go to TSO each Christmas time. Last year I got fed up when everyone had their phones out videoing, pictures etc the whole time so this year I told them if they wanted to go I didn't want one phone out during the whole show.

They weren't interested in going anymore.

So that would put many who were at the original Woodstock at the 70-80+ year old category??

Didn't go in there today...
Don't own a Dodge...
Haven't been needed there in months.

:>---

EGA

Porta johns haven't needed emptied in awhile?!?!

I joke around, of course. I was hoping to catch a peak of that person to see if it was really a WW2 vet or a younger family member. Had some intentions to follow and thank him for his service but that woulda been a bit creepy

The Rolling Stones headline the 50th Jazz Fest:

nojhf-2019-poster-graphic-1400-720x1024.jpg

Talk about an eclectic line up, I wonder if Ciara will sit in with Bob Seger?

Some festival news>

- Bob Seger cancels Jazz Fest and is replaced by Diana Ross.

- Many of summer tours are announcing and it is easy to see who is leaving the Woodstock weekend open for a gig, the latest to do this is Ringo Starr.

- A lot of talk about Woodstock doing multi generational tributes to acts that played the original festival, this way they get the old and young crowd. Janis Joplin, The Band, and Joe Cocker are all rumored to be getting tribute slots.

- A lot of talk about Woodstock doing multi generational tributes to acts that played the original festival, this way they get the old and young crowd. Janis Joplin, The Band, and Joe Cocker are all rumored to be getting tribute slots.

What about a Jimi Hendrix tribute? I’m sure Tame Impala’s Kevin Parker and Jay Watson would be down for that.

Kevin-Parker.png
Untitled.png

BTW, Auggie, with you being from NEO, thought you might be interested in this new book that was just published about the Kent music scene (I haven’t yet had a chance to read it myself):

Small-Town-Big-Music.jpg