WK 5: Massillon Jackson (3-1) @ Uniontown Lake (4-0)

I also agree that respect, humility and civility are best but some guys just set themselves up for a poke in the ribs.
It's easy to recognize those who have short fuses and when I am bored, sometimes it's fun to see if they will pick up the matches put in front of them.
Oh..... Ya.... Does anyone have anything new to say about the game tonight?

I have to add that the Gooch is all knowing....he is the reason there is/was a Yoda! Or I could say...To add that the gooch is all knowing, have I. The reason there is/was a yoda, he is. Herh herh herh.

I also agree that respect, humility and civility are best but some guys just set themselves up for a poke in the ribs.
It's easy to recognize those who have short fuses and when I am bored, sometimes it's fun to see if they will pick up the matches put in front of them.
Oh..... Ya.... Does anyone have anything new to say about the game tonight?
Ticket sales have been large. Parking is going to be an issue.

You know what?! I am sick and tired of all this CIVILITY crappola! Get out there and GET IT ON!111 No helping the other team up, no "Nice Tackle", no nice hit, no NOTHING!!! It is GRINDING TIME, Time to separate the boys from the MEN!!!! Well, occasionally you can tell your opponent how mice their girlfriend looked last night when YOU took her out, and how much you appreciated the goodie basket your opponent's mom made for you.... Those kinds things keep it CIVIL!!!! Yeah, BABY!!

You know what?! I am sick and tired of all this CIVILITY crappola! Get out there and GET IT ON!111 No helping the other team up, no "Nice Tackle", no nice hit, no NOTHING!!! It is GRINDING TIME, Time to separate the boys from the MEN!!!! Well, occasionally you can tell your opponent how mice their girlfriend looked last night when YOU took her out, and how much you appreciated the goodie basket your opponent's mom made for you.... Those kinds things keep it CIVIL!!!! Yeah, BABY!!
That's funny stuff. Jackson is a reputable community with good folks. Treat others like you wish to be treated, correct? :)

How good is Jackson? Their smallest team in a long time, but possibly their best team in 20 years.

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION

Travis,
I think you would find many people from Lake who will beg to differ with you about Jackson being a reputable community. They are teaching their young men to be mean, nasty, and aggressive on the football field. The game last night tipped in Jackson's favor when Lake turned a 1st and goal at the one and a half yard line into a fourth and goal from the 4 or 5 and then missed a FG. Lake had to try and get fancy down there and had a motion penalty that was unnecessary. After the missed FG, Jackson took a mere 2 plays to go the distance on 2 short pass plays that turned into a 40-something yard completion and then another to Jackson's only big-play threat, #12 Jake Ryan, who took it 30-something yards for the score. Lake came back down and scored late in first half but they never seemed to mount any threat in 2nd half and Jackson just did a lot of whatever they wanted to do, and Lake had a player who also had a cheap 15-yarder that didn't help. Jackson can play solid defense, and they are methodical on offense, but they always come down to #12 and he is a stud. Highlight of the night was definitely a perfectly thrown ball down the Jackson sideline into very good coverage that Ryan snagged in stride and high-stepped out of the would-be tackle of the defensive back to take it the house for an 80-yard score. Late in the game, Jackson even ran their QB (who I thought had strings hanging out of his pants, but they were his legs), and he ran hard and scored the 3rd TD on a nice zone-read play. Also, I thought Lake made a HUGE mistake while they were trailing 14-3 and Jackson faced a 4th and 5 from Lake's 30 yard line and Jackson sent in Ryan, who is the punter, but he is also the backup QB. He never even got close to getting in punt formation and as they looked at Lake's defense and they already had their returner back at the 10, they snapped it with Ryan in the shotgun and he ran around the right side for an easy first down and punched it in shortly thereafter with the QB's nice run. In short, Jackson looks to be solid AGAIN and from what I have observed, appears to be primed to battle with McKinley for the Fed Title. Lake looks like a solid team but has no identity on offense. I love their RB but it appear they just run him on the same quick dive play over and over and over and.....well, you get it. Parts of me think Lake over thinks themselves on offense and that Jackson out-coached them in several critical points.

When Lake was not giving up many points the first 3 games I said they were not playing anyone.

Then when you finaly play a decent team (Louisville 2-3) you give up 27 points.

Then when you play a good team you give up 28 points in a 28-3 beat down.

Next up is the McKinley Bulldogs and there high powered offense. Good luck. :p:cool:

Disappointing outcome. Lake competed for the first half but the pass defense and lack of offense was the difference. It's hard understand why the offense continues to try to run the ball and not try to pass. This has been the pattern for the last few years. Once we run into the Federal league teams everyone puts 9 guys in the box and is ready for the run! Who is calling the plays? Even last night we had success when we tried to throw the ball. The receivers are open and it should force the defense to adjust. They do not adjust because they know we will go right back to the run. Hopefully they see this on film this week and revise the game plan.

The offensive play-calling for Lake is garbage subpar. Please remove the wide receiver screen from the playbook and take the handcuffs off coach Demarco.

Hats off to Jackson for coming in with a good game plan and executing.

Coming up empty on a 1st and goal from the 1 and the dropped td I think set Lake back mentally at half. Can't do that as an underdog going in. No excuses though on this night the better team won. Good news is you get to redeem yourselves vs. Mckinley @ Benson. (Whew).

Easy for me to say but going into the season an 8-2 Lake and playoff birth would be a fantastic season and that's all still in front of them. Keep chopping wood.

Congrats to the Polar Bears. Well-earned victory. Bigger, faster, more aggressive and better coached last night. Lake continues to hurt themselves with drive-killing penalties and mental mistakes. I said they had to play a near perfect game to beat Jackson and they did pretty much the opposite in the 2nd half. McKinley is going to be an even tougher opponent next week. Hope the Streaks have a great week of practice and get their act together quick. Go Blue! Rock'Em!

Coming up empty on a 1st and goal from the 1 and the dropped td I think set Lake back mentally at half. Can't do that as an underdog going in. No excuses though on this night the better team won. Good news is you get to redeem yourselves vs. Mckinley @ Benson. (Whew).

Easy for me to say but going into the season an 8-2 Lake and playoff birth would be a fantastic season and that's all still in front of them. Keep chopping wood.
A 9-1 is still in front of you! :cool:

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION

I think Lake is still very solid on defense, but the problem lies in playing teams that are not good. You can get away with being mediocre on fundamentals and still get away with it. When you play a good team that executes, it exposes all of the little things that were not done as well against those mediocre teams. It is all about the fundamentals and the little things that add up to the big things. Lake will be just fine and I look for a 8-2 or 7-3 season. Playoffs are a great possibility, but then they will lock up with Massillon or Hoban in one of the first 2 rounds, OUCH!!

Like it's some kind of contact sport or something. The nerve.
It was interesting what Tim Budd had to say after the game.

"Maybe our guys are tired of being told because they go to Jackson that they're not tough," Budd said. "Toughness has nothing to do with your address and everything to do with what's in your heart.

"Our group has a lot of heart."

Disappointing outcome. Lake competed for the first half but the pass defense and lack of offense was the difference. It's hard understand why the offense continues to try to run the ball and not try to pass. This has been the pattern for the last few years. Once we run into the Federal league teams everyone puts 9 guys in the box and is ready for the run! Who is calling the plays? Even last night we had success when we tried to throw the ball. The receivers are open and it should force the defense to adjust. They do not adjust because they know we will go right back to the run. Hopefully they see this on film this week and revise the game plan.
The last two weeks, Jackson's D has faced backs that were coming off career games or on their way to career seasons and both times, those backs have ended up with well under 100 yards. I also disagree that Lake was able to throw on the Jackson D, 109 total yards passing (with a good chunk coming when the Jackson Defense softened up late in the game) on 30 attempts is not my definition of having success. Kudos to the D and the O was able to hit a few longballs here and there and grind it out the rest of the way. Could have put another TD on the board at the end of the game but called off the dogs.

I said earlier in the thread I'd hold my judgement on Jackson until after this game, I'm much more comfortable with where this team is at now. Lake will definitely win their share of games....good luck the rest of the way.

Last edited:
I’m not a Jackson fan but I like how they play. Good luck to the Polar Bears the rest of the way and I hope they make the playoffs.

Jackson vs McKinley is an intriguing matchup in 2 weeks.

Indeed. At least at this point, appear to be separating from the pack, but alot can change. Still have Mckinley favored but JHS should win out vs. the rest (flipped w/ Hoover early). I assume 8-2 is a safe playoff bet. Not sure about 7-3.

Indeed. At least at this point, appear to be separating from the pack, but alot can change. Still have Mckinley favored but JHS should win out vs. the rest (flipped w/ Hoover early). I assume 8-2 is a safe playoff bet. Not sure about 7-3.
Good points. If Jackson goes 8-2, I suspect they are in. It’s great fun to make the playoffs but that Region 1 has Mentor and St. Ed’s so hopefully they would be on the other side of the bracket.

I hope you can appreciate my satirical comment, 2002. Jackson was the more physical team the other night, and they gritted out a game that many thought would be so much more competitive. Lake really just needs to decide what type of team they want to be. Offensively, Lake has no identity whatsoever. Jackson knows exactly what they want to do and how they want to do it. Their QB is going to be very good, and they have one of the best receivers all around in #12. Anyway, Jackson definitely was the better team Friday night and they are bringing up their kids to physically beat up on teams and be mean and nasty when they are on the field.