WK 3 : Centerville vs. Dunbar

Who wins?

• Total voters

ELKS Strong

The Elks are off to another poor start to the season and in search of a much-needed W. Dunbar, Miamisburg, and Beavercreek games should give the young Elks a chance to build some confidence and momentum. The Elks can win all 3 if they play like then did in the 2nd half of Lakota West, but can lose all 3 games if they play like they did in the 1st half of Lakota West. The Elks have outscored Fairfield and Lakota West by a combined 22-14 in the 2nd half, but the first half of both games were embarrassing as an Elks fan. Coaches need to have these boys better prepared to start the game and make quicker adjustments during the game if the initial game plan doesn't work.

Who should win, CHS. But I think you are correct, there seems to be a couple of Elks teams. One that is slow and small. One that is quick and nimble. And one that loses hope and gives up. I hope the one that showed up for most of the second half at Lakota west is the one we get on Friday.

The Elks are off to another poor start to the season and in search of a much-needed W. Dunbar, Miamisburg, and Beavercreek games should give the young Elks a chance to build some confidence and momentum. The Elks can win all 3 if they play like then did in the 2nd half of Lakota West, but can lose all 3 games if they play like they did in the 1st half of Lakota West. The Elks have outscored Fairfield and Lakota West by a combined 22-14 in the 2nd half, but the first half of both games were embarrassing as an Elks fan. Coaches need to have these boys better prepared to start the game and make quicker adjustments during the game if the initial game plan doesn't work.
Do you think they have outscored opponents in the 2nd half because the winning team played 2nd teamers or let up? Or have they made adjustments?

Do you think they have outscored opponents in the 2nd half because the winning team played 2nd teamers or let up? Or have they made adjustments?
I didn’t see 2nd teamers for either team to start 2nd half. So I would say adjustments and/or more aggressive play calling since the “playing not to lose” strategy was failing miserably.

Last edited:
Dunbar will provide similar looks to what the Elks have seen already this year. On defense, Dunbar will play single coverage on the wide receivers and will creep their linebackers to within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. Their safety is generally directly over the center and doesn't cheat wide side. If they stay in this coverage, Harrison will have the opportunity with one on one coverage (and I like those odds). I'm hoping the staff is as aggressive as they were in the fourth quarter versus Fairfield and the second half versus Lakota West. If they are, there will opportunities for Linkhart and Smith to take advantage. If they can force Dunbar to adjust by spreading out their linebackers, the lanes in the middle will open for McMahon as the ends for Dunbar rush outside and deep 95% of the time.

Offensively Dunbar will play a similar brand of offense to both Fairfield and Dunbar by going 4 wide on most sets (and 5 wide on the others). The quarterback for Dunbar is a good athlete and his running ability will need to be contained. He is more accurate than the other QB's the Elks have seen this year on the short passes but it appears his accuracy depreciates quickly on the deep balls. Milford had success blitzing their linebackers on the outside and if the Elks do the same, Walls and Bruder could have big days. If the Elks can get pressure, Graveline (2 picks already this year) and Meade could take advantage of balls thrown into coverage.

Pretty sure Milford's two year success story is over. Congrats on Centerville for scheduling a DPS school; hard to believe nobody else would want to play the Elks Week 3. If Centerville doesn't beat this team by 40+ I'll be shocked. If Dunbar wins, Centerville will be burn

Sorry but Fairfield and LW would destroy Dunbar. If Elks don’t cruise in this game there is a serious problem in Centerville. Harrison and his brigade will be making noise

When you are 0-2, there are no easy games. Confidence can be shaken quickly in high school players and in young coaching staffs. A good start will be paramount to how this game plays out.

I think anyone from the Centerville/Alter fanbase would have loved to have had another game this year. It is a shame the schools couldn't work it out. Now we have Alter playing a team from Kentucky and Centerville playing Dunbar. I think everyone would agree another Centerville/Alter matchup would have trumped either of the games being played this Friday just in fan support and interest. Though the Elks lost last year, the atmosphere was tremendous.

When you are 0-2, there are no easy games. Confidence can be shaken quickly in high school players and in young coaching staffs. A good start will be paramount to how this game plays out.

I think anyone from the Centerville/Alter fanbase would have loved to have had another game this year. It is a shame the schools couldn't work it out. Now we have Alter playing a team from Kentucky and Centerville playing Dunbar. I think everyone would agree another Centerville/Alter matchup would have trumped either of the games being played this Friday just in fan support and interest. Though the Elks lost last year, the atmosphere was tremendous.

I agree here. Pretty sure both parties were mutual about playing only one year and not two. Between the coaches, administration, and ADs, it was a 1 year deal from the beginning.

Sorry but Fairfield and LW would destroy Dunbar. If Elks don’t cruise in this game there is a serious problem in Centerville. Harrison and his brigade will be making noise
ALL of ELK Nation will be making noise if they don't beat Dunbar. Pretty close to a must-win for this coaching staff.

I agree here. Pretty sure both parties were mutual about playing only one year and not two. Between the coaches, administration, and ADs, it was a 1 year deal from the beginning.
I would love to see 1 game about every 4 years on a neutral site like UD stadium. It would be electric with 10,000+ fans.

As others have mentioned Dunbar is on a completely different level, and not in a good way. Milford most likely had a drop off. I’d be shocked if C-Ville doesn’t win in a blowout

When you are 0-2, there are no easy games. Confidence can be shaken quickly in high school players and in young coaching staffs.

Kind of disagree. Strength of schedule matters a lot. For example, If Wayne (0-2) was up against Beavercreek (2-0) tomorrow they wouldn’t even flinch. I expect the same attitude from Centerville. I’m open to surprises but I just don’t think the game will be very competitive

Last edited:
I am expecting to see one team show no discipline and imploded upon themselves. My guess is that Dunbar will have more yards in penalties then in offensive yards.

I didn’t see 2nd teamers for either team to start 2nd half. So I would say adjustments and/or more aggressive play calling since the “playing not to lose” strategy was failing miserably.
To be fair the Elks didn’t outscore FF in the 2nd half. FF came out of half and ran it down the field and McClain scores to make it 33-0. Centerville then proceeded to score after a long drive but when FF got the ball back it drove right down again and just clockedCenterville. There 2nd half was a lot more respectable against West.

To be fair the Elks didn’t outscore FF in the 2nd half. FF came out of half and ran it down the field and McClain scores to make it 33-0. Centerville then proceeded to score after a long drive but when FF got the ball back it drove right down again and just clockedCenterville. There 2nd half was a lot more respectable against West.
I was combining the 2nd halfs of both games.

Until the Elks re-establish themselves as a consistent playoff contender (like Alter), they should not be scheduling Alter. It would be like asking the same girl to Prom who rejected you twice for Homecoming...

Until the Elks re-establish themselves as a consistent playoff contender (like Alter), they should not be scheduling Alter. It would be like asking the same girl to Prom who rejected you twice for Homecoming...
Scheduling Alter every few years would be good. All things being equal, Elks win 8 of 10 games. Last year, a 2-8 Elks team lost 10-7 to the state runner-up. I do agree the Elks need to become a consistent playoff contender & get out of the 1st round.

Roger Bacon was up 23-0 on Dunbar in week 1 in the middle of the second quarter. I would hope this is a running clock the entire second half. I will go with Centerville up 37-0 at the half, with a final of 44-8, with a late Dunbar score.

Dunbar has a ton of work to do including some attitude adjustments. Centerville wins this 1 very comfortably.

With Centerville playing Dunbar and La Salle playing some team from Massachusetts this week, I see a huge missed opportunity for both programs.

And ugh, La Salle hosts Dunbar for Homecoming next week.

ALL of ELK Nation will be making noise if they don't beat Dunbar. Pretty close to a must-win for this coaching staff.
Haha the noise is already there. With only 1 losing record (2001) in the past 45 years then watching a 2-8 season was pretty uncomfortable. Have 2 losing seasons in a row and you have to go as a coaching staff. During that 45 year span there were plenty of years where talent was thin but Gregg and the older Ullery found a way to win anyway. If the current staff cannot do that then they they are not the right staff. They have a ton of boys inside their own walls to go recruit and have great facilities. The head coach in high school makes all the difference in the world. Either you are good or you are not. No gray area.

I am expecting to see one team show no discipline and imploded upon themselves. My guess is that Dunbar will have more yards in penalties then in offensive yards.
Dunbar had 281 yards O against Milford, most of it through the air! They had 98 yards of penalties, which is bad but I've been on the sidelines for CPS and DPS games with lots more....