WK 1 : Centerville @ Fairfield

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ELKS Strong

Fairfield put it on the Elks 49-21 last year with Jutahn McClain (Kentucky commit) running wild with 437 all-purpose yards and 7 TDs. The Elks were only down 28-21 at the half last year, so it will be interesting to see if the Elks can compete the whole game this year. This is the 5th meeting in the series with Fairfield winning 3 of the 4 prior games. The first 3 games were close with last year being the exception. On offense, the Elks return their starting backfield with a young OL and WR corps. Elks D is young too, but hopefully ticked off about McClain's performance. Fairfield graduated their QB and TE, but should be very athletic again this year. The Elks will be a significant underdog playing at Fairfield, but I am going to predict the Elks in an upset 35-31.

Lol The first half of last year’s game was a fluke. CVille’s problem with McClain was not necessarily missed tackles, but they missed him completely. I say that CVILLE will score 7. Fairfield 35.

McClain will dominate, Fairfield will put half a hundred on the board, Centerville will probably score a couple of TDs late in the game

I saw the Elks are a 17.5 point underdog which is probably fair. The game should be closer this year than last. The Elks might be able to win in a shootout - sticking with 35-31 victory.

I saw the Elks are a 17.5 point underdog which is probably fair. The game should be closer this year than last. The Elks might be able to win in a shootout - sticking with 35-31 victory.
Fairfield has a chance to win the GMC; CVille MIGHT be .500 in the GWOC. No comparison.

There is no reason besides kool aide to think that Centerville will even be competitive in the game or the game next week. Actual analysis and understanding of recent events has to make the reasonable person believe Centerville will lose and lose badly.
Hey Kool-Aid! Oh Yeah!! I hope that Fairfield is overlooking the Elks

Most importantly I hope each team comes out the game injury free because at the end of the day 1 game doesn’t make or break your season and each team will have many more opportunities.

Hey Kool-Aid! Oh Yeah!! I hope that Fairfield is overlooking the Elks
I wish CVille could give the Indians a good game. We need more high quality Division 1 teams in SW Ohio especially from the Dayton area.

Do not leave “The TeePee of Pain” to early.

As far as overlooking the opponent, Jason Krause is a pretty good coach.

There is no reason besides kool aide to think that Centerville will even be competitive in the game or the game next week. Actual analysis and understanding of recent events has to make the reasonable person believe Centerville will lose and lose badly.
I'm surprised to hear that Centerville is still down especially after dominating the final 2 games of the 2018 season 69-7

Maybe you have not been paying attention or understand what has happened in the last week. You have kids quitting because of what kids are in 2019 and what coaches are. Kids are not the same as they were 5 yrs ago and coaches are still hung ho. I understand being a homer but thinking just because Centerville has had success in the past is no indication of success in the future. These coaches are in the limit of lack of expectations. Too much work outs, too much works tide to cross fit, too much yelling and a lack of coaching. The biggest difference between the final Rodney year and the first Ullery year- playoff year- last Pucket year, was a lack of yelling and more coaching. The person that replaced Pucket is a non stop yeller. Lack of coaching is a huge part of the problem. But the lack of coaching skill cannot be made up with harder work outs or more work out and harder practices. But that is the mind set of the coaches in place. I said all of this last year and you all laughed at me: I am more connected to the kids then any of you old timers. You all need to wake up, the sport is on it is last legs. We need to change. Centerville will have a losing record for a number reasons. But the biggest is lack of talent and coaching. The coaches try to make up for the lack of talent with yelling and perceived toughness. Ullery’s dad said recently on a pod cast that kids will run thru a wall for him if they believe the coaches care about them...that lesson did not get passed on to the son.

THIS. You nailed it on the head. Nobody seems to get that toughness doesn't mean s*** if you don't have the physicality and offseason prep to back it up.

I played at a pretty unsuccessful GWOC school. Our coaches were way too old school and ran us into the ground with ridiculous workouts, 'toughness' speeches and Bear Bryant attitudes. Only problem with that is it's very hard to improve significantly during the offseason when your body is never able to fully recover from tough practices and gruelling workouts. Any program with a fresh set of legs and a balanced, smart, offseason approach to strength and conditioning is going to come out and absolutely pummel teams like that. I think Fairmont has a similar problem..and it's why they'll never fully catch up to programs like Wayne even with the best intentions and efforts to do so. Talent, strong senior leadership and good coaching can get programs on the doorstep, but they'll never be a perennial powerhouse without taking offseason development/modern training strategies seriously.

If you've listened to Urban Meyer over the past few years you can tell that he really gets it as well. Sometimes I wonder if it's what sets him apart from the old-schooled Harbaugh types. I remember one year noticing that the OSU O-line looked much leaner and stronger than the UM O-line line. Wouldn't be surprised if the Michigan coaches were grinding those guys into the ground in the name of toughness. I remember one of their D-linemen claimed that they worked harder than anyone in the country. When you're overtrained and stressed you're more likely to overeat and less likely to hang onto muscle. May explain why their O-line men didn’t look as sharp as OSUs. Just a crazy theory.

Last edited:
Maybe you have not been paying attention or understand what has happened in the last week. You have kids quitting because of what kids are in 2019 and what coaches are. Kids are not the same as they were 5 yrs ago and coaches are still hung ho. I understand being a homer but thinking just because Centerville has had success in the past is no indication of success in the future. These coaches are in the limit of lack of expectations. Too much work outs, too much works tide to cross fit, too much yelling and a lack of coaching. The biggest difference between the final Rodney year and the first Ullery year- playoff year- last Pucket year, was a lack of yelling and more coaching. The person that replaced Pucket is a non stop yeller. Lack of coaching is a huge part of the problem. But the lack of coaching skill cannot be made up with harder work outs or more work out and harder practices. But that is the mind set of the coaches in place. I said all of this last year and you all laughed at me: I am more connected to the kids then any of you old timers. You all need to wake up, the sport is on it is last legs. We need to change. Centerville will have a losing record for a number reasons. But the biggest is lack of talent and coaching. The coaches try to make up for the lack of talent with yelling and perceived toughness. Ullery’s dad said recently on a pod cast that kids will run thru a wall for him if they believe the coaches care about them...that lesson did not get passed on to the son.
You’ve obviously never played for Ullery, he’s exactly like his father, nothing but the utmost respect for that man and would do anything for coach

Wow, some of the predicted scores here and on the pick thread seem a bit optimistic for the Indians. Well hopefully the kids & coaches at FF aren't overlooking CV. I suspect they aren't given what happened to them in the Milford playoff game.

I haven't seen a scrimmage so I'll reserve my thoughts on FF until after this game. I am hearing that folks are cautiously optimistic about the Indians this year. But anytime you're working in a new QB early season games can be tough for an offense. What will help FF here is a solid O-line and one of the best RB's in Ohio. This will take pressure off the new QB.

I'm also hearing good things about the defense and it will have to play well as I think the offense will struggle to some extent early.

As far as the score here? It's HS football so who knows? My gut thinks it will be closer then folks are predicting.

Wow, some of the predicted scores here and on the pick thread seem a bit optimistic for the Indians. Well hopefully the kids & coaches at FF aren't overlooking CV. I suspect they aren't given what happened to them in the Milford playoff game.

I haven't seen a scrimmage so I'll reserve my thoughts on FF until after this game. I am hearing that folks are cautiously optimistic about the Indians this year. But anytime you're working in a new QB early season games can be tough for an offense. What will help FF here is a solid O-line and one of the best RB's in Ohio. This will take pressure off the new QB.

I'm also hearing good things about the defense and it will have to play well as I think the offense will struggle to some extent early.

As far as the score here? It's HS football so who knows? My gut thinks it will be closer then folks are predicting.
I agree. First game jitters plus a new QB will keep this game a lot closer than most are predicting.

The name on Centerville’s uniforms will draw Fairfield’s attention. They still have a reputation as a good football program, even if they are not currently. Fairfield is also going to be very good this year and may challenge for Region 4. I can’t predict the score, but I am confident it will be a running clock.

Really looking forward to see how Centerville bounces back from a tough season. With their Phenom QB now stepping into his second season, i'm sure we can all say we are exited to see how he performs. Although I would love to see Centerville win this game, I don't think Centerville's defense can keep up with McClain, Especially with the turmoil within the team, with players complaining about playing time and players quitting. Fairfield wins this game, but I believe the Elks can put together a solid season with a relatively young team.

I agree. First game jitters plus a new QB will keep this game a lot closer than most are predicting.
Ellis started 2 games at QB last season for Fairfield and came in for their injured starter in the playoffs last year, not to mention being a starting WR himself. I don't think there will be 1st game jitters. He's a good player.

Centerville sucks. 42-7 Fairfield
Coming from a guy from Fairmont? That team looked like garbage last night. If you were playing a team with an offense from this or last century it would have been really ugly instead of just ugly. Saying that...you are being too nice about the score. CHS will score more then 7 but the other guys will score more then 42. Will be a rolling clock in the second half.