Wisconsin To Add Girls State Wrestling Tournament...Ohio Next?

OHSAA seems to be waiting on a little more trend data in terms of more schools sponsoring a girls only team before going all in on creating girls wrestling as an official varsity sport.

Right now, the OHSWCA sponsors a girls state tournament for all females wishing to compete.

If the OHSAA was to sponsor girls wrestling as a separate sport, and the regulations were in line with other sports where both genders compete, females would no longer be able to compete/practice against males in season then compete in the female division.

OHSAA seems to be waiting on a little more trend data in terms of more schools sponsoring a girls only team before going all in on creating girls wrestling as an official varsity sport.

Right now, the OHSWCA sponsors a girls state tournament for all females wishing to compete.

If the OHSAA was to sponsor girls wrestling as a separate sport, and the regulations were in line with other sports where both genders compete, females would no longer be able to compete/practice against males in season then compete in the female division.

Bucksman -
So, if it was sanctioned it would likely be a slow transition, where they could get to their 20 points however. But would eventually split all competitions. Once OHSAA takes it over, however, they could not compete in both post-seasons. However, ALL the other state's models allow practices to be combined or separate, depending on the schools needs and wants. Many states, even Texas which split 15 years ago for "moral reasons", allows teams to practice together. The idea that schools would forced to split like BBB and GGB is probably not going to be a thing.

At Orange, we had 45 boys and 22 girls last year. For workouts, we combined three days a week and split three days a week. Each one gives the girls something different.

The "full practice split" will be up to each building and is an unnecessary concern.

-----
Johnstown Benny - I'm glad you get your yuk-yuks making sexual jokes about teenage girls. It's not even an original joke.

Mud wrestling could likely enhance attendance at the matches.

JB

1000% inappropriate and disrespectful.

Our female wrestlers are skilled and technically sound athletes seeking the opportunity to compete in the sport of wrestling. I am hopeful that the efforts of the existing female wrestlers and their coaches creates a sufficient interest level to justify the OHSAA sponsoring female wrestling as a sport, so these athletes can compete at the varsity level against peers and pursue state level excellence. And in so doing, create a multiplier effect where there is increased interest/participation for the sport.

When the OHSAA sanctions girls wrestling I think they will treat it somewhat similar to girls golf. Girls on the a golf team can compete on boys teams during the season up to the 20 matches and as long as there is not a girls match the same day. In golf if there are 3 or less girls they can choose to play in the boys or girls postseason. If there are 4 or more they have to play in the girls postseason. The OHSAA gives some flexibilty to help grow the sport of golf and I think they will do the same for wrestling. My hope is that we are just one year away from the OHSAA taking over the girls state tournament. I think we will see the numbers double again this season for the girls. (As long as we have a season).

Any schools interested in moving forward with a girls side...or even learning about how to combat some of the obstacles...fill out this form. Sanction Ohio is planning a coaches and AD seminar.