Winton Woods Meet was a mess

Another example would be the 200. While I don't have the time to break down every athlete in both races, let's look at just the winners.

Boys - Vince Turnage wins with a 21.0. Now Turnage is a TERRIFIC sprinter, no doubt about it. But his 200 PR is 21.48 from STATE last year, and his pre-WW 2012 season best was 22.17. I think both Turnage and his outstanding coach would be the first to say he did not run a PR by almost a quarter-second Friday night.

Girls - Jessica Miles, another unquestioned top-notch sprinter, is credited with a 24.8. PR coming into the meet? 25.46. 2012 season best? 26.54

It's always dicey business to throw out stats, but Milesplit made the right call on this one.

I agree with throwing out everything below 800m. The timing was clearly BAD from the marks I saw.

On Vince Turnage, I do know his coach clocked him in 21.6 MT in contrast to the 21.0 MT on the "official" results. That seems about right, 0.6-0.8 seconds differential when looking at a number of the shorter races when compared to what one would expect based on earlier seasonal performances just prior to the WW meet.

Unfortunate, but OH MileSplit made the right call. I know I won't carry them on any of my lists.

Honorsports, what do you suggest doing with times more than a second faster than their FAT time in a sprint

Last edited:
Another example would be the 200. While I don't have the time to break down every athlete in both races, let's look at just the winners.

Boys - Vince Turnage wins with a 21.0. Now Turnage is a TERRIFIC sprinter, no doubt about it. But his 200 PR is 21.48 from STATE last year, and his pre-WW 2012 season best was 22.17. I think both Turnage and his outstanding coach would be the first to say he did not run a PR by almost a quarter-second Friday night.

Girls - Jessica Miles, another unquestioned top-notch sprinter, is credited with a 24.8. PR coming into the meet? 25.46. 2012 season best? 26.54

It's always dicey business to throw out stats, but Milesplit made the right call on this one.

HUH? You guys should read the final results in the Enquirer. Turnage ran a final time of 21.9. I know kids like to see there name on the internet but their are more meets to attend this year.

After reading the comments here, particularly that of TheRealOHRunners not including anything except the field events, that tells me it was a real "Charley-Foxtrot" in the hand-timing department, even more so than usual.

As the host of the district meet, Winton Woods admin may wish to revisit their decision to do hand-timing in the future. Charley-Foxtrots like this affair do serious damage to reputations, and the district meet may be a short-lived memory at WW if this were to continue. There are other facilities to host the meet, and Mason isn't the only school with FAT is this part of the world.

Look people, GHG does timing for the Coaches Classic and the District Meet at WW since the beginning. Just the WW Invite didn't have FAT. And Hopefully that will change.

There will be another meet next week. And the week after that. And the week after that. And the week...

If they're as fast as their "results" from Friday, they'll do it again, FAT, before the end of the season.

Well said. Thank you.

HUH? You guys should read the final results in the Enquirer. Turnage ran a final time of 21.9

I have no idea what was in the Enquirer, but here's the OFFICIAL results as recorded by the Winton Woods scorekeeper. Turnage listed winner at 20.99(rounds to 21.0)

http://www.baumspage.com/track/wintonwoods/2012/2012 Results.htm

Event 7 Boys 200 Meter Dash
=======================================================================
Name Year School Finals Points
Section 1 Finals Wind: NWI
1 422 Vince Turnage 12 Mount Health 20.99 10
2 Aaron Murray 11 Withrow 21.45 8
3 283 Marcus Jackson 12 Winton Woods 21.50 6
4 522 Conolly Boughner 9 Lakota East 22.72 5
5 234 Christian Lumpkin 9 Winton Woods 22.82 4
6 524 Dominic Williams 11 Lakota East 22.94 3

Look people, GHG does timing for the Coaches Classic and the District Meet at WW since the beginning. Just the WW Invite didn't have FAT. And Hopefully that will change.

We are all aware that GHG handles the timing for both. GHG is not at issue here. WW is vis-a-vis their handling of their own meet with regard to timing. WW's reputation shouldn't be dependent upon hiring a timing company to ensure accurate timing: it should be dependent upon WW's meet management decisions, period.

In re-reading my post of earlier, I determined that I was a bit harsh in my criticisms. I have, therefore, self-edited the earlier post to remove the harsher elements of the post.

It is my hope that not only WW, but all schools and those responsible for meet management to do their very best in not only ensuring proper timing and meet management techniques, but that those responsible for the dissemination of meet results also review the quality of the marks entered for accuracy and proper context. At least from a statisticians point of view, the lack of proper context became apparent when reviewing the results of at least the sprints portion of the meet in question. It became clear that the marks did not reflect a proper timing execution. It is to that issue that my comments should have been, and are now, directed.

Last edited:
I have no idea what was in the Enquirer, but here's the OFFICIAL results as recorded by the Winton Woods scorekeeper. Turnage listed winner at 20.99(rounds to 21.0)

http://www.baumspage.com/track/wintonwoods/2012/2012 Results.htm

Event 7 Boys 200 Meter Dash
Name Year School Finals Points
Section 1 Finals Wind: NWI
1 422 Vince Turnage 12 Mount Health 20.99 10
2 Aaron Murray 11 Withrow 21.45 8
3 283 Marcus Jackson 12 Winton Woods 21.50 6
4 522 Conolly Boughner 9 Lakota East 22.72 5
5 234 Christian Lumpkin 9 Winton Woods 22.82 4
6 524 Dominic Williams 11 Lakota East 22.94 3

Don't know what this is but official results were sent to the Enquirer.

I get home delivery of the print edition of the Enquirer, so I can vouch that what warriorblue is saying is correct. Turnage's time in the Enquirer is listed as 21.99. Oh, the plot thickens. Is the error on baumspage and not in the results?

Not much doubt it's an Enquirer misprint, considering both 2nd and 3rd place have faster times than 21.9