Winton Woods Eliminating Baseball?

Hammy

OK, I know it could be argued that they already have, but there are serious rumors coming from people who would know in the Forest Park/Greenhills baseball communities that the decision has already been made by the AD to drop baseball. Baseball has always been a "red-headed stepchild" at Winton Woods with no attempts by the program to cultivate what is actually a strong youth baseball organization in both Forest Park and Greenhills. My son played reserve this year as a freshman and the best players he played with pre-HS all decided not to play due to the perception/reality of the program. Of course the AD is not commenting on the rumors.

Has anyone heard anything on this? I think it sends a crappy message to the kids when you find it easier to quit a program than to try and fix it.

OK, I know it could be argued that they already have, but there are serious rumors coming from people who would know in the Forest Park/Greenhills baseball communities that the decision has already been made by the AD to drop baseball. Baseball has always been a "red-headed stepchild" at Winton Woods with no attempts by the program to cultivate what is actually a strong youth baseball organization in both Forest Park and Greenhills. My son played reserve this year as a freshman and the best players he played with pre-HS all decided not to play due to the perception/reality of the program. Of course the AD is not commenting on the rumors.

Has anyone heard anything on this? I think it sends a crappy message to the kids when you find it easier to quit a program than to try and fix it.

My guess is the decision will be related to whether or not the school levy passes in August or November. If it doesn't pass I would guess that baseball gets dropped... they are saying all sports will be dropped, but I don't buy that. I am sure football and basketball will be kept but with a very high pay to play. However if the levy passes, I don't think there will be any sports eliminated. A strong youth baseball organization is nothing though... any kid who is any good is out playing on a traveling team like the flames, spikes, midland, etc... I don't think many of the WW players play on these traveling teams.

Bottom line people of Forest Park and Greenhills... get out and vote... support your school levy!!!!

This is above and beyond the proposed cuts if the levy fails. Word is that the Winton Woods AD believes in his heart of hearts that baseball can never be competitive there. He could be right, but considering they have had the same coach for appx 10 years it makes one wonder if a new voice might have an impact. Many talented baseball players simply don't play baseball at Winton Woods due to the losing image the program has.

And regarding the lack of select program players...not entirely true. At the lower levels (ages 11-13) many are, and the future is bright.

:confused: It is 100% official...regardless of the result of the upcoming school levy, the baseball program at Winton Woods High School has been cut for the 2009-2010 season. It is sad that the decision to cut baseball was made before even considering a leadership change or an effort to promote or encourage interest in the program. Winton Woods will be the largest student body high school in Ohio that does not play baseball for non-budgetary reasons.

My son was a freshman on the WW reserve team who went 3-10. They played reserve schedule, not freshman teams and were competitive against teams other than the powerhouses of the FAVC. My son is a nice HS player who won't ever play above that level, but now he has no opportunity to play HS baseball unless we move schools, and as I said he's not that kind of player.

:confused: It is 100% official...regardless of the result of the upcoming school levy, the baseball program at Winton Woods High School has been cut for the 2009-2010 season. It is sad that the decision to cut baseball was made before even considering a leadership change or an effort to promote or encourage interest in the program. Winton Woods will be the largest student body high school in Ohio that does not play baseball for non-budgetary reasons.

My son was a freshman on the WW reserve team who went 3-10. They played reserve schedule, not freshman teams and were competitive against teams other than the powerhouses of the FAVC. My son is a nice HS player who won't ever play above that level, but now he has no opportunity to play HS baseball unless we move schools, and as I said he's not that kind of player.
Sounds like you might want to look for a school with open enrollemnt. That really sucks though for an AD to can baseball like that in such a big school.

Maybe this is best for WW. My suggestions to get them out of the FAVC Buckeye for baseball were always met with excuses like "but what about football and basketball"? There were never any good reasons offered why they couldn't just put them in the weakest division for baseball.

Again, maybe this is best. They found a way out of one of the toughest baseball divisions in Cincinnati. Now, if someone brings the program back they could easily argue to be independent. The FAVC will have survived without them (not much of a leap) so what argument will there be to add them back in for baseball?

Then they can set up a schedule against other weak programs only. Build a little confidence. Win some games. Build some increased interest. Be able to compete. Give a young coach a chance to build the program up slowly. Maybe in a few years they will be ready to rejoin the FAVC for baseball.

Maybe they don't even have to take a year off. With the announcement that WW is not having baseball (and Amelia leaving the FAVC anyway meaning a switch to two divisions, East & West for baseball), the FAVC has time to make up next year's league schedule. Other teams have plenty of time to replace WW on their schedule. Get the ball rolling this fall and reinstate the team against a weak, independent schedule (play the CPS schools and some smaller area schools).

Truely a win-win situation for everyone involved. It makes perfect sense - I guess that's why it won't happen... :shrug:

Why not? Forget the excuses and get it done...

Does this also include dropping softball? Looking at the favc website, they're just as bad. If not worse...

The announcement that went out on this from the Winton Woods Board of Education President has been retraced and attributed to a printing/clerical error. I'm not sure we believe that, but the official statement being made to angry parents and local newspaper reporters is that baseball has not been cut. However, should the levy not pass in August or November, baseball in 2010-2011 as well as any other sport at Winton Woods High School, will not be played.