Winton Woods Basketball 2012-2013 schedule

Man Up

Well looks like this will be a very interesting year for our bb team. I am very very happy with our schedule and the balance and mix of teams that we will be playing.

We have 5 gmc schools, 2 from gcl, 3 from cincy public and 3 from dayton area just to name a few.

We will if not anything else, be battle tested as I really don't see any gimmies on the schedule. This will surely get us ready for tournament and we must bring our A game each time out to compete with this schedule.

We have games against:
Roger Bacon
Lakota East
Thurgood Marshall
Withrow
Mason
Taft
Middletown
Princeton
Moeller
Colerain
Trotwood Madison
Cov. Cath

I see we also play a team called Ponitz Career Technology Center out of Dayton. And we also have a Christmas Tournamant with team TBA.

Again, very challenging and tough schedule which is what we needed.

I see we also play a team called Ponitz Career Technology Center out of Dayton. And we also have a Christmas Tournamant with team TBA.

Again, very challenging and tough schedule which is what we needed.

Ponitz is AWFUL! But I agree this schedule will benefit WW greatly. They should be much more prepared come tourney time now than they were playing the schedule they played in the FAVC.

Ponitz is AWFUL! But I agree this schedule will benefit WW greatly. They should be much more prepared come tourney time now than they were playing the schedule they played in the FAVC.

Yes, I don't know much about them, I looked them up and they only had like 3 or 4 wins from last year I believe. Hopefully when the time comes, we don't overlook them.

Wayne will be on the schedule as well. They were just finalizing the dates. I believe the game is at WW as they played at Wayne last year!

All 3 teams should provide a decent opponont, but WW should roll.
Good to see GE/Tur are not afraid of WW

Ah yes, the benefit of independence. And with only losing 2 to graduation, 6 sophomores on a varsity team that only loss 3 regular season games.

Speaking from experience, it isn't any fun to schedule every game without the benefit of some league games that you don't have to look for. Play the best and be the best!

Speaking from experience, it isn't any fun to schedule every game without the benefit of some league games that you don't have to look for. Play the best and be the best!

I understand. The real work is the non varsity scheduling and scheduling outside of Football and Basketball. I give the WW athletic dept. alot of credit for a job well done under some difficult circumstances. I do agree that this Independent status is too difficult to maintain for the long run but I believe it will only last for a year. Lets have fun with it while its here, these football and basketball schedules are dynamite and should have the Warriors post season ready. IMO post season ready was something that our teams werent playing in the weak conference.

what does ww's returning roster look like for next season?

Well we were very young last yr, and alot of young sophomores played varsity which will surely big a big help considering they gained alot of experience playing at that level. Some growing pains, yes, but still should really pay off this coming yr.

As of right now, we will probably have only 4 seniors on the team, maybe 5 again, this is jmo. the bulk of our team will be those sophomores who will now be juniors.

senior kwan cheatam 6-9- has good 3pt shooting, and rebounding ability, must get stronger down low in paint.

senior trent donald 6-4- probably our best post player last yr, not afraid of mixing it up in the paint with taller players, must improve defensive hussle.

senior curtis ponder- 6-3 very hard worker, good defensive guys and plays hard. will scrap and hustle whole game.

senior darnell dees 6-4 good size, good inside game that needs a little work, but will play descent d and crash the boards.

senior dillon wedlock 6-1 not sure he will play or not. he did transfer back to ww. played at middle school and left after 8th gr. may be a role player and provide depth?

junior ronnie rousseau 6-0 - the key the starts the engine, pushes the ball and like i said last yr, plays with a swag and the mustard on the dog, but I like it to a degree. now that he got a yr under him running the point on varsity, he'll be able to really hone in on his skills and i expect nothing less then what he did as a soph.

junior martin jones 6-3 will be very, very, solid, goot 3pt shooter, nice size and just plays steady. will prob start next yr.

junior demetrius suesberry 6-0 good defender, need to stay focused and positive and play within himself, but will be a good solid player.

junior devon goodson 6-1 was hurt with a injury most of season, but has serious ability and can jump out the gym. once he was healthy seemed to not really get in rythm, but i expect good things from him. also has good 3pt range

junior tre von teague 6-0 i really, really like his game, started yr on jv although i thought he should have be on varsity, however he was moved up and played well. very good defender and like to slash to the bucket. he could start as well, but if not, will see alot of starters minutes.

junior daniel cage- 6-3 will he play basketball? i stated from day on he is a stud, beast on the football field and has already received offer from illionis with several more to come im sure, but if he does play, he is charles barkley in the paint, will provide instant toughness and force in the paint, may not score much but you better bring hard to the hoop if he's around.

junior sharmar hooks, 5-11 was the point on jv last yr, because of rousseau he will more than likely back up, or may even play together with ronnie, because he does have abilty to play without the ball, moving, screening, passing,etc. nice solid player and can finish at the basket with either hand.

junior anthony bell- 6-4 long and lean, had some moments on jv last yr, will need to get stronger and will provide depth. may be jv but dress varsity.

junior micheal edwards 5-11, nice player, good shooter may see minutes on bench or jv time and dress varsity?

junior adrian rankin 6-2. good player, plays hard and hustles. may be jv player but dress varsity.

junior aj brady 6-3 nothing but good to say, plays hard and has some upside, but because of the talent level with the 2014 class, may be jv and dress varsity.

There may be more or less depending on what happens, but we have skill and talent for the coming school yr, as you see most of our team will once again be underclassmen and the year after that as well. I think most ppl in the park have very HIGH expectations for this team, and considering our schedule, we will be battle tested just about every game.

as i stated before, I only see maybe??? a couple of gimmies games if that. the rest will be the real deal and i love it.

this was just my opinion on what I have seen and observed and who or who may not play varsity or jv is just what Im guessing.

GO WARRIORS

Last edited:
This is my starting 5 I think
6-9 kwan cheatam
6-4 trent donald
5-11 ronnie rousseau
6-3 martin jones
6-0 tre von teague

or you could start devon goodson for jones or teague.

nice depth and good problem to have. everyone will see good mintues regardless.

what does ww's returning roster look like for next season?

Well we were very young last yr, and alot of young sophomores played varsity which will surely big a big help considering they gained alot of experience playing at that level. Some growing pains, yes, but still should really pay off this coming yr.

As of right now, we will probably have only 4 seniors on the team, maybe 5 again, this is jmo. the bulk of our team will be those sophomores who will now be juniors.

senior kwan cheatam 6-9- has good 3pt shooting, and rebounding ability, must get stronger down low in paint.

senior trent donald 6-4- probably our best post player last yr, not afraid of mixing it up in the paint with taller players, must improve defensive hussle.

senior curtis ponder- 6-3 very hard worker, good defensive guys and plays hard. will scrap and hustle whole game.

senior darnell dees 6-4 good size, good inside game that needs a little work, but will play descent d and crash the boards.

senior dillon wedlock 6-1 not sure he will play or not. he did transfer back to ww. played at middle school and left after 8th gr. may be a role player and provide depth?

junior ronnie rousseau 6-0 - the key the starts the engine, pushes the ball and like i said last yr, plays with a swag and the mustard on the dog, but I like it to a degree. now that he got a yr under him running the point on varsity, he'll be able to really hone in on his skills and i expect nothing less then what he did as a soph.

junior martin jones 6-3 will be very, very, solid, goot 3pt shooter, nice size and just plays steady. will prob start next yr.

junior demetrius suesberry 6-0 good defender, need to stay focused and positive and play within himself, but will be a good solid player.

junior devon goodson 6-1 was hurt with a injury most of season, but has serious ability and can jump out the gym. once he was healthy seemed to not really get in rythm, but i expect good things from him. also has good 3pt range

junior tre von teague 6-0 i really, really like his game, started yr on jv although i thought he should have be on varsity, however he was moved up and played well. very good defender and like to slash to the bucket. he could start as well, but if not, will see alot of starters minutes.

junior daniel cage- 6-3 will he play basketball? i stated from day on he is a stud, beast on the football field and has already received offer from illionis with several more to come im sure, but if he does play, he is charles barkley in the paint, will provide instant toughness and force in the paint, may not score much but you better bring hard to the hoop if he's around.

junior sharmar hooks, 5-11 was the point on jv last yr, because of rousseau he will more than likely back up, or may even play together with ronnie, because he does have abilty to play without the ball, moving, screening, passing,etc. nice solid player and can finish at the basket with either hand.

junior anthony bell- 6-4 long and lean, had some moments on jv last yr, will need to get stronger and will provide depth. may be jv but dress varsity.

junior micheal edwards 5-11, nice player, good shooter may see minutes on bench or jv time and dress varsity?

junior adrian rankin 6-2. good player, plays hard and hustles. may be jv player but dress varsity.

junior aj brady 6-3 nothing but good to say, plays hard and has some upside, but because of the talent level with the 2014 class, may be jv and dress varsity.

There may be more or less depending on what happens, but we have skill and talent for the coming school yr, as you see most of our team will once again be underclassmen and the year after that as well. I think most ppl in the park have very HIGH expectations for this team, and considering our schedule, we will be battle tested just about every game.

as i stated before, I only see maybe??? a couple of gimmies games if that. the rest will be the real deal and i love it.

this was just my opinion on what I have seen and observed and who or who may not play varsity or jv is just what Im guessing.

GO WARRIORS

Last edited:
That take is a bullseye. Two things I will add is 1) 6'5" post player Stefaun Briggs will be eligible after sitting out last season following his transfer from Mt. Healthy. He played varsity for Mt. Healthy when he was a freshman. 2) Cage, Suesberry and Edwards are all potential D1 football players and they might opt to work on academics and football.

I also like juniors to be Angelo Gibson and Patrick Thompkins

Last edited:
That is a nice schedule and they do have some nice players. W.Woods Warriors are D1 or D2? Why didn't they put some Columbus schools on the schedule? I do know some city teams, catholic schools, and OCC schools that would have traveled to play them. Schools such as Walnut Ridge, Africentric, Eastmoor Academy, Brookhaven, and Northland. Catholic schools like Hartley and Desales and OCC teams like Pickerington Central, Reynoldsburg, Dublin Coffman, Westerville North, and Olentangy Liberty.

That take is a bullseye. Two things I will add is 1) 6'5" post player Stefaun Briggs will be eligible after sitting out last season following his transfer from Mt. Healthy. He played varsity for Mt. Healthy when he was a freshman. 2) Cage, Suesberry and Edwards are all potential D1 football players and they might opt to work on academics and football.

I also like juniors to be Angelo Gibson and Patrick Thompkins

yeh i forgot about briggs, he will play varsity. i think you may agree that my observation is that we will be very deep again and that the 2014 in particular is deep, therefore some of the guys may have to play jv for game time and minutes and then dress varsity like teague and ponder did last yr.

i think with our schedule this coming yr, we will be able or at least have anywhere from 8-10 deep, but as the season plays out, coach g will probably shorten his bench rotation to 7 maybe 8 depending who is playing well.

That is a nice schedule and they do have some nice players. W.Woods Warriors are D1 or D2? Why didn't they put some Columbus schools on the schedule? I do know some city teams, catholic schools, and OCC schools that would have traveled to play them. Schools such as Walnut Ridge, Africentric, Eastmoor Academy, Brookhaven, and Northland. Catholic schools like Hartley and Desales and OCC teams like Pickerington Central, Reynoldsburg, Dublin Coffman, Westerville North, and Olentangy Liberty.

if you look at a post I posted before our schedule came out, my wish was to schedule the toughest we could, considering we are independent. I also wanted us to play some teams from up the way as you mentioned, but i am still very happy with our schedule. I am hoping that our ad and coach will add a few teams for the following yr. chances are we will be independent for at least two yrs, maybe 3 at most before we are in a league again. therefore, this will allow us to hopefully play a few columbus teams, id even go far as maybe trying to schedule canton mckinley, st vince st mary,etc. in addition to cindy gmc, gcl, dayton powers dunbar, etc.

well see how it goes in the next 2 yrs. maybe someone could put a bug in our ad's ear to look for the route.

The people who want a tough schedule will probably be the same ones complaining if WW ends up 12-10, right?

Last edited:
The people who want a tough schedule will probably be the same ones complaining if WW ends up 12-10, right?

14-8, 12-10? You will never read me complaining about a tough schedule. You will hear me complaining if the young men aren't giving 100%, aren't playing up to their potential, or playing as a team. And it's the coaches job to assure that they come out every night and leave it on the floor. Most teenagers need constant instruction and motivation. Do I think WW will go unbeaten? Absolutely not, but it's a bold statement by any team on that schedule to say they will beat Winton Woods next season, including Turpin.

I did not say winton woods wasnt couldnt beat turpin Im saying that man up said they were going to roll over turpin. Thats just a stupid statement.

I did not say winton woods wasnt couldnt beat turpin Im saying that man up said they were going to roll over turpin. Thats just a stupid statement.

Redturp- dude, you need to scroll back up a few spots and read my post clearly. I did not say that, LT DAN said ww would roll.

Lt dan ask do we play any ecc teams if you read and i said glen e, turpin and wilmington, he said that ww should roll over all three. as ive said 100 times i love our schedule, and we dont have many gimmies on the docket.

maybe the team out of dayton career tech that i heard were not great, but other than that, we will be battle tested each night out.

doesnt matter if we go 10-12, 10-10. 14-6, whatever, id rather play a tough schedule and be ready for tournaments, then play a weak schedule and go 17-3, 18-2, and dont get past 2nd rd.

Anyone know why Dylan Wedlock transferred back to Winton Woods? Did it have anything to do with basketball? Because he left a GREAT situation at Lockland with what they return. Plus they got rid of their lackluster coach. Winton Woods has NO shot at state whereas Lockland would have been one of the best D4 teams in the state. Plus, he won't even be a starter at WW. At best he'll be a role player off the bench. He was the second leading scorer at Lockland and was the emotional leader. Doesn't make sense to me if it was for basketball.

Redturp- dude, you need to scroll back up a few spots and read my post clearly. I did not say that, LT DAN said ww would roll.

Lt dan ask do we play any ecc teams if you read and i said glen e, turpin and wilmington, he said that ww should roll over all three. as ive said 100 times i love our schedule, and we dont have many gimmies on the docket.

maybe the team out of dayton career tech that i heard were not great, but other than that, we will be battle tested each night out.

doesnt matter if we go 10-12, 10-10. 14-6, whatever, id rather play a tough schedule and be ready for tournaments, then play a weak schedule and go 17-3, 18-2, and dont get past 2nd rd.

There is something to be said when you have to be concerned about your teams ability to learn how to win and a team without a true leader. dont know their team very well.. but a tough schedule every night might not help in the tournament if they do not learn how to win against tough teams. Handling adversity and dealing with adversity comes from a tough schedule. But If they lose every game against the tough opponents that does not mean they will be ready for the tournament.. Just saying

There is something to be said when you have to be concerned about your teams ability to learn how to win and a team without a true leader. dont know their team very well.. but a tough schedule every night might not help in the tournament if they do not learn how to win against tough teams. Handling adversity and dealing with adversity comes from a tough schedule. But If they lose every game against the tough opponents that does not mean they will be ready for the tournament.. Just saying

fair enough. the league we were in favc west was not very competitive for us, with the exception of a couple of teams. so your point is taken and valid. im hoping this schedule will strengthen our players ability to compete with more athletic and stronger teams, but if they dont handle the adversity as you put it, your are 100 percent right. it does not mean success, nor does it mean it will help come tournaments.

I said WW would roll vs ECC teams.
ECC teams are, typically, what they are.
Turpin, specifically, loses 2 starters, and will have minimal depth, regardless whether McCormick stays or not.
WW, to me, seems to bring back about as much as anyone in the city.
SO i expect WW to defeat their ECC opponents by easy double digits.

Anyone know why Dylan Wedlock transferred back to Winton Woods? Did it have anything to do with basketball? Because he left a GREAT situation at Lockland with what they return. Plus they got rid of their lackluster coach. Winton Woods has NO shot at state whereas Lockland would have been one of the best D4 teams in the state. Plus, he won't even be a starter at WW. At best he'll be a role player off the bench. He was the second leading scorer at Lockland and was the emotional leader. Doesn't make sense to me if it was for basketball.

What makes you think that Winton Woods has no shot? It seems to me that the Winton Woods personnel is far superior to that of Lockland, if Lockland's 2nd leading scorer and emotional leader transfers to Winton Woods and is a role player off the bench. I think that speaks to how good Winton Woods could be next season, if the starting guard from the potential best D4 team in the state transfers and ends up coming off the bench. And you stated that Lockland got rid of their lackluster coach, who did they hire to replace him? It seems to me that the Lockland situation is shaky at best. And don't be surprised if there is another transfer from Lockland to Winton Woods.Lets just see what the summer brings.

Winton Woods is Division II, I suppose! I looked at the previous post and many schools from the cincy and the dayton area don't play Columbus teams. I know these high schools are not scared because most of them of the schools in cincy and dayton are better. I look up a couple of city schools in columbus last year and they played Cincy and dayton schools. I would like to see more teams play each other from the big cities. Man-up, you are a good blogger, and thanks for the information.