Winter HS Long Run: Maximum Time

Running Man 101

For those building their base during the winter for Spring HS track, what time are HS kids running for toward an open limit for the weekly long run. This would be for experienced kids that typically run 50-60 miles per week.

We have one kid that is running 12-15 miles and it takes 80-90min. Anything longer recommended?

I would not recommend anything any farther.

That is plenty for a high school runner buliding their base for spring track.

I would max the long run out at 12 miles.

A convention that seems to be more common everyday is that your long run should be 20% of your weekly mileage. Hence, if you have an experienced senior running 70 mpw, his long run would be 14 mpw.

When I was running seriously, my long run was usually in the range of 22-25% of my weekly mileage.

Either way unless you have an athlete running more than 60 mpw, I don't see exceeding 15 mi for the long run on a regular basis.

A couple years ago, I capped long runs at 90 minutes and that seems to work fine for slower and faster athletes. Practically, we don't have anyone running farther than 12-13 mi on their long run.

Thr 20% rule I know and generally follow. My thinking was more on the length of time vs the distance per se. I also cap the time at 90min.

One kid has no issue running 10-12miles at 8.5-9.5MPH. No soreness or feet issues at all. Lydiard method for working slow and fast twitch calls for runs longer than 60min, so wanted to get some input from more experienced coaches.

Long runs should be about 20% of the weekly mileage for HS track athletes. Capping long runs at 90mins is good, after that it will likely start to hurt you