Winter and Spring Sports Update (Jerry Snodgrass, OHSAA Executive Director)

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
March 13, 2020

TO:
Member School Administrators

FR: Jerry Snodgrass, OHSAA Executive Director
RE: Winter and Spring Sports Update

Good afternoon to each of you in these challenging and unique times! This communication is to update

you on several issues that are related to Ohio Governor Mike DeWine’s recent order mandating school
closures beginning next week and their impact on school‐based athletics. Please note this
communication contains an attachment of “Q and A’s” that should address all questions you and/or
coaches may have. Those can be found here:

I am asking that you share this communication with your administrative team to include principals, superintendents and athletic administrators and be especially sure that all coaches are aware of the items in this communication.

OHSAA Regional and State Boys Basketball, State Girls Basketball, State Ice Hockey and State Individual Wrestling Tournaments

As announced Thursday, the above‐mentioned tournaments are postponed indefinitely. Given the rapidly changing events nationally and statewide, we are assessing the situation daily. It is impossible to make a determination today . . . the reason for continuing them to be ‘postponed.’ If your team remains in the tournament, you need to remind them that the “non‐interscholastic rule” remains in effect. Further, we have implemented indefinitely a no‐contact period, which prohibits any coach, paid or volunteer, approved by the Board of Education to provide coaching, instruction or supervising conditioning and physical fitness programs or open gyms to members of a school team in their sports. Again, we are assessing this daily and we WILL keep you up‐to‐date on a regular basis.

All Sports

A MANDATORY no‐contact period is in effect for all school‐sponsored sports March 17‐April 5, 2020. Additionally, there will be a mandatory shut down of facilities used for the purpose of conducting athletics activities from March 17‐April 5, 2020.

A couple key points to remember:

1.) We are RELYING on your communication with your coaches to ensure compliance. Bylaw 11 (Penalties) of the OHSAA Handbook outlines the ability to assess penalties for violation. Obviously, we do not want violations, which makes your oversight and communication vital.

2.) The OHSAA Non‐Interscholastic Rule is still applicable to all athletes, including spring sport athletes. For spring sport athletes, they are in violation of the non‐interscholastic rule if they participate in any non‐school sport in the same season if they have already participated in a scrimmage or contest for the school team in that sport. Additionally, at no time are they permitted to participate in any non‐school sport exceeding the 50% limitation defined in General Sport Regulation 7.

Spring Sport Out‐of‐State Travel

Obviously, this is highly discouraged, and we urge all schools to cancel these trips. We also know that it is impossible in a few cases to obtain refunds. In those instances, we have no choice but to permit that to continue. However, please note:

Any contest played will be counted toward the total number permitted;

No NEW trips may be scheduled that have not previously been scheduled, and

It is highly recommended that the conditions outlined in Ohio Department of Health Director Dr. Amy Acton’s order be followed regarding the number of individuals permitted at the event (see the Q’s and A’s for more information).

With the return to school date tentatively set by Governor DeWine for April 6, the following will

TENTATIVELY be in place:

April 6 – 10 MANDATORY Practices and/or Acclimatization (if required)

April 11
All Scrimmages/Regular Season Contests may begin Tournaments will remain on dates as currently scheduled

Please note: Since the current situation is rapidly changing, any of these may need to be adjusted. IF they are, notification will go out immediately to schools. Thank you for your attention to this matter!

Serving Our Member Schools and Enriching Opportunities for Students

So if wrestlers who wish to practice are fortunate enough to be close to a non school affiliated practice facility, a non school board approved coach may coach them. I’m I reading this correctly?

That's no different than during the season.

What they still can't do is compete in the "COVID-19 Open" and be eligible to compete if the OHSAA was to somehow restore school sports in 19-20 and have a state wrestling tournament.

That's no different than during the season.

What they still can't do is compete in the "COVID-19 Open" and be eligible to compete if the OHSAA was to somehow restore school sports in 19-20 and have a state wrestling tournament.
Well there is a slight difference. I am not allowed to coach my athlete during this time period, in which the winter sports season continues.

Essentially, the message to the 672 state qualifiers is keep grinding on your own or at a local club but don't compete in any other events until the OHSAA makes a final decision on whether or not to hold the state tournament. If it is held the date will be after the non contact period.

Whew!! That is a big ask for a lot of athletes but we are game. Back to the grind!!

I wonder what will happen at D3 106 if the state tournament actually happens. Sampson (the alternate) replaced Brocwell (4th at Heath) in the bracket. Would Brocwell be allowed to re-enter?

boro fan what do you think the chances of them having the state tournament are
I would say it’s highly unlikely. IF it does happen, they would have to add a pretty big weight allowance or else I think we will see a lot of alternates or byes. You will have many kids cutting 20+ pounds within the 2 or 3 week practice period, which is what they try to avoid with the whole hydration/certification process in November.

I would say it’s highly unlikely. IF it does happen, they would have to add a pretty big weight allowance or else I think we will see a lot of alternates or byes. You will have many kids cutting 20+ pounds within the 2 or 3 week practice period, which is what they try to avoid with the whole hydration/certification process in November.
I concur. Some of these kids still don't know how to eat right and maintain a calorie count that won't starve themselves or kill them trying to lose weight.

A big weight allowance would hurt a kid like mine who is finally growing into 113lber who doesn’t cut much weight. I personally only would like a +3/4 and weight out of +4/5. I know there will be a lot of kids who struggle in a month to get back down weight.

I would guess +4 in and +5 out. Given that we are talking about the best athletes in the state if they are given 2wks notice 98% would make weight. However, I'd guess that 25% wouldn't bother going - most of the 2 and out guys. You would probably get half of the alternates to fill those spots and end up with 2 byes per weight on average.

The semis and finals would still be very entertaining...although it would probably throw off borofans predictions - Brankman would still nail them all down.?

If they do it, I would suggest a one time weighin, +4. Then just wrestle and not worry about a 2nd weighin. You have kids that were starting to struggle with weight in the 5th month of the season, now we are talking about the 6th month of the season. Most kids did hydration in November, no one anticipated having to maintain weight for 6 months. No one thought in late february when they got locked into a weight class that it would be for 2 months instead of 2 weeks...

Agreed...I worry about the frosh/soph in the lighter weights that has begun to grow. It will be difficult to make weight. I don't know logistically how they will be able to hold the tournament in 2-3 weeks. If they do not have the state tournament, the OHSAA should make all state qualifiers "All-Ohio."

It's heartbreaking for all the kids, but the high school season is over. They will not interfere with the spring sports, just so we can have a championship tournament and don't forget basketball.... They're restricting kids from training with the coaches, so you'd have to give them time to train and that would push the tournament out to far, not to mention scheduling the arena. That being said, our Folkstyle season is over and we'll shift to Freestyle only training until after Fargo.

I agree with Roughedge. My boy would be a a much greater disadvantage. He can eat his dinner before weigh ins and still weigh in at 104-105. So IF they have the state tournament does that mean he will basically have to compete at the weight class higher? He had no option to cut weight and go down a weight class why should he be punished? I have another boy that would struggle to keep his weight down it would be tough but that is the weight class he chose nobody has to cut major weight that is their choice.

I agree with Roughedge. My boy would be a a much greater disadvantage. He can eat his dinner before weigh ins and still weigh in at 104-105. So IF they have the state tournament does that mean he will basically have to compete at the weight class higher? He had no option to cut weight and go down a weight class why should he be punished? I have another boy that would struggle to keep his weight down it would be tough but that is the weight class he chose nobody has to cut major weight that is their choice.
My athlete weighs in 8-10 pounds under. Weight not an issue. Going weeks without practice. That will be my concern.

Guys, get over it , move on,it's not going to happen next week, next month or in 2 or 3 months...NCAA has already cancelled most if not all spring sports, high school spring sports will not be played either. Olympics will be cancelled or possibly postponed a long time. At this point I highly doubt the kids even resume school at all this year. Focus on taking care of your family and friends.

I don't understand this press release. Its giving way to much false hope. A lot of these guys are gonna gain to much weight to compete and it will become a tainted tournament. Plus its so unlikely to happen I would give it about a 1 percent chance.

I think is a shame that so many athletes won't get a chance to earn the prize they have worked so hard to obtain. But there is something that is much more important: the health and well being of the athletes, coaches, officials and fans! I love this sport! But believe it or not some things in life are just more important. Disappointments are a part of life and this is definitely disappointing, but life will go on and eventually everyone will get over it.

Per Governor Mike DeWine's Twitter account:

4:15 PM - 3/15/2020

"Schools: Three weeks likely won't be enough time to be closed. It is likely we will have to extend this order."

Per Governor Mike DeWine's Twitter account:

4:15 PM - 3/15/2020

"Schools: Three weeks likely won't be enough time to be closed. It is likely we will have to extend this order."
The school year will probably be forfeited. As being told, states like Pennsylvania and Illinois are having issues with people not following the instructions for containment.

Word on the street up here from a very reliable source, don’t expect your kids back in school this year, now they are trying to figure out the hard part, what grade are these kids in next year? NCAA is easy so don’t try and compare, they just grant another year of eligibility, you can’t do that in high school. So that is where the planning is at now, not when will they return. They won’t return till next year .