Will XC happen this fall?

I don't expect to get yelled at. I honestly had to stop and count to ten. I was seeing red. I had a run in with a lady years ago at a Wal-mart when I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in 15-20 years and as we parted I said "Happy Holidays and tell your family I said hello." Out of the blue, this lady comes up to me and says "We say Merry Christmas!" I was dumbfounded as I didn't realize she was berating me for wishing my friend and his family Happy Holidays. I thought she was just randomly speaking to me. A crowd gathered as I stood there and took it from her. After I had treated her like she was in distress and should I get her some help. I eventually figured out why I was being scolded. When she was done, I said, "Hope you and your family have Happy Holidays!!!" Crowd laughed and thought it was really funny. It wasn't even Thanksgiving yet and I was ripped for saying Happy Holidays and not Merry Christmas.

This has zilch to do with XC, but in my college fraternity, one of the PR officers who handled all mail correspondence would be tasked with sending Christmas cards to all of the members' homes as well as the homes of any high-profile recruits. That sounds all fine and dandy until one considers that our membership and recruitment pool was rather diverse. Some of our members and recruits were followers of other religions, namely Judaism and Islam, so sending a Christmas card to their homes would've been ignorant at best and offensive at worst. I had the honor of holding that particular PR position and hated every second of it.

With regard to XC or any other fall sport, I don't know what's going to happen, but much like with this past spring, all one can do is take it one day at a time and prepare as if the entire season will take place as scheduled. If the competitive portion of the XC season was scheduled to start right now, would it be allowed to occur under normal conditions? I don't know the answer to that, and until the answer is an unequivocal "yes," there's more work to do.

Last edited:
One of my daughters school districts (they go to 2 different ones) in Suburban Cincinnati just announced they are going back 5 days a week, in class, with class changes throughout the day like usual. Masks only mandatory during classroom changes and if bus exceeds a certain number. I expect any rational district will follow this guideline as well. Add in OHSAA saying fall sports will start on time and go about as schedule and it;s a good week so far.

Hopefully Dewine’s reset restart plan allows this. That can easily be voided if he says different. He was supposed to have the plan available over a week ago for districts but it’s not up yet.

One of my daughters school districts (they go to 2 different ones) in Suburban Cincinnati just announced they are going back 5 days a week, in class, with class changes throughout the day like usual. Masks only mandatory during classroom changes and if bus exceeds a certain number. I expect any rational district will follow this guideline as well. Add in OHSAA saying fall sports will start on time and go about as schedule and it;s a good week so far.

Hopefully Dewine’s reset restart plan allows this. That can easily be voided if he says different. He was supposed to have the plan available over a week ago for districts but it’s not up yet.
Guidelines for schools are supposed to be coming out within the next 10 days. All indications are that it will be up to the individual school districts to decide how to proceed in the fall.

Guidelines for schools are supposed to be coming out within the next 10 days. All indications are that it will be up to the individual school districts to decide how to proceed in the fall.
Here is the draft of what they are planning. Page 3-4 shows how restrictive the state is planning on. Mandatory facemasks for everyone, everyone 6 feet apart at all times, daily health assessments for everyone. The flexibility is how the district administers the education, not the health guidelines.

Hopefully this draft changes significantly though when it comes out lol. It was supposed to be released 10 days ago but I think they got back lash when the draft was sent out to administrators.

The way 5x26 describes it sounds about right. No way the kids are going to wear masks all day, hard enough to get adults to wear them.

The total number of cases per day is declining even with higher testing. The number of deaths and hospitalizations are trending down faster than the slight decreases in infection rates. The estimates are 25% to 40% exposure (given 50% asymptomatic rate).

Our system will fully restart in the fall with the kids going back to school. Do think we may see school end at Thanksgiving and restart in the New Year with no fall breaks and teacher mid-week vacation days. Some city schools (e.g. Columbus) may do something different, but the other 80% of the state needs to resume life.

Update, all districts in our county (Warren Co.) will be doing the same thing. It was discussion between all districts and the Warren Co. Health department. All my kids will be impacted by this now. So Mason, Lebanon, Waynesville, Springboro, Franklin, Little Miami, Kings, and Carlisle. I know many SW districts are having distance runners train as well. I have heard Ross County Schools in south Central Ohio will be going back 5 days, normal schedules as well based on a conversation with an Admin/teacher.

The way 5x26 describes it sounds about right. No way the kids are going to wear masks all day, hard enough to get adults to wear them.

The total number of cases per day is declining even with higher testing. The number of deaths and hospitalizations are trending down faster than the slight decreases in infection rates. The estimates are 25% to 40% exposure (given 50% asymptomatic rate).

Our system will fully restart in the fall with the kids going back to school. Do think we may see school end at Thanksgiving and restart in the New Year with no fall breaks and teacher mid-week vacation days. Some city schools (e.g. Columbus) may do something different, but the other 80% of the state needs to resume life.
Update, all districts in our county (Warren Co.) will be doing the same thing. It was discussion between all districts and the Warren Co. Health department. All my kids will be impacted by this now. So Mason, Lebanon, Waynesville, Springboro, Franklin, Little Miami, Kings, and Carlisle. I know many SW districts are having distance runners train as well. I have heard Ross County Schools in south Central Ohio will be going back 5 days, normal schedules as well based on a conversation with an Admin/teacher.
I hope. But the draft I shared says different if it goes into effect. Districts and even private schools can't say no if the state says they have to do the masks, distancing, etc. In my district, if we have to keep 6 feet apart in classrooms, then each room can only 12 -14 kids in each building, which means 5 day classes is out of the question. The schools that are saying they are totally normal in the fall are saying it prematurely right now.

Warren Co says it is based on a conversation with the Ohio Department of education regarding guidelines they have approved from the group the Governor put together and then meeting with every district leader for multiple dates. Warren County is a pretty well run County and the 12th most populous county in the state with the largest high school in the state. I'd make a bet they are not guessing.

Could be the whole 70%+ of deaths in Nursing homes and the fact that the FLU had 4,000 more hospitalizations this year than Covid over the same period and the flu actually killed multiple Ohio kids this year vs Covid being zero. But hey that part is just speculation.

The total number of cases per day is declining even with higher testing. The number of deaths and hospitalizations are trending down faster than the slight decreases in infection rates.

Hospitalizations and ICU usage have been cut in half in about 7 weeks. That is a very fast drop off. All while positive test % trends way down.

Link for more charts.

1592438545559.png

Schools north of the Columbus-Dixon Line are likely to have stricter standards than the Bonespurnatti area.

It would seem that the US efforts have not been all that successful. Our impatience and denial of science is going to cost us.

1592657509221.png

FYI

The September 17-19th Air Force Marathon, Half Marathon 10K, 5K, 1 mile announced last week they will be Virtual Runs.

The September 26th Akron Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K, 8K, and Relay announced this week they will be Virtual Runs.

It would seem that the US efforts have not been all that successful. Our impatience and denial of science is going to cost us.

View attachment 7820
Simple people need simple data to come to simple conclusions. Please thank our schools for dumbing everything down to the lowest common denominator so everyone can pass and get an award.

Who's denying science? Which people on the political spectrum put infected people into state run retirement homes to reduce their overhead? Which people faked a HQL study to show it doesn't work? How many people have died from ignoring "science"? Which political group faked temperature data to show "man-made" warming? Political scientists make poor scientists.

Which one doesn't believe in free speech?

Which one believes it’s okay to riot and steal, but not go to church?

Which one believes it's okay to murder babies after they are born?

Which one doesn't know which bathroom to use?

Which one doesn't want police?

You think people like me are the issue? Really billcarson, really. Trump is an a**, but at least he doesn't believe in cultural Marxism.

I would be content to just let this play out and the cities burn to the ground to learn a lesson, but I know there are good and innocent people in them that don't deserve it.

PS: Heard immunity is coming whether you want it or not. The Wuhan virus is a hybrid of two known bat virus created in a lab in China...that apparently Dr Fauci and his pack of clowns sponsored.

Pick out which parts of this are conspiracy and which are real. :whistle:

PS: Heard immunity is coming whether you want it or not. The Wuhan virus is a hybrid of two known bat virus created in a lab in China...that apparently Dr Fauci and his pack of clowns sponsored.

Pick out which parts of this are conspiracy and which are real

You were so eloquent in Tulsa

Last edited:
I'll be happy to start a Woodridge-Coventry feud. Bay-$V$M. Remember when Centerville didn't run their varsity and didn't make it to the Regional?

On a happy note. It looks like the Covid-19 virus has run it's course and all is good now. Whew.

Ode and the health department have not talked to any district concerning the fall plan. Some of the biggest districts in the state right now are calling them via news sources because they were supposed to have the plan out almost a month ago.

A more interesting topic that actually relates to xc and track: ohsaa is looking to add a division to most sports because of their financial losses.

As per the Governor today he will give the local districts the freedom to decide on schools. Warren county Districts have solidified their stance and will open exactly as they said last week. I'd expect many others to follow.

Covid-19 virus has only run it's course because we are testing less, per your President!!
It's all good. Arizona and Texas are doing great. Gotta trust that Florida is on top of it. I'm sure that Major League Baseball, the NFL and NBA are just being way over cautious. They probably just can't afford experts to guide them. Everyone seems to be doing their part and this is all behind us.

Simple people need simple data to come to simple conclusions. Please thank our schools for dumbing everything down to the lowest common denominator so everyone can pass and get an award.

Who's denying science? Which people on the political spectrum put infected people into state run retirement homes to reduce their overhead? Which people faked a HQL study to show it doesn't work? How many people have died from ignoring "science"? Which political group faked temperature data to show "man-made" warming? Political scientists make poor scientists.

Which one doesn't believe in free speech?

Which one believes it’s okay to riot and steal, but not go to church?

Which one believes it's okay to murder babies after they are born?

Which one doesn't know which bathroom to use?

Which one doesn't want police?

You think people like me are the issue? Really billcarson, really. Trump is an a**, but at least he doesn't believe in cultural Marxism.

I would be content to just let this play out and the cities burn to the ground to learn a lesson, but I know there are good and innocent people in them that don't deserve it.

Pick out which parts of this are conspiracy and which are real. :whistle:
Thank goodness we got all the real facts here in this list, no need to debate any more.
Herd immunity?, more like infected herds, and they usually get slaughtered.
Fall sports still in doubt due to the dumbing down you mentioned, sponsored by Donny's science deniers.
That poor PHD Dr. Fauci, and what a white house he has had to put up with.

Put a clown in charge and you better expect a circus. Don't think we could possibly have worse governance from the executive branch. There needs to be a federal plan. It is getting to the point where it is criminal. The Death of Expertise!!!

Remember in the Life of Brian where they are being crucified and start singing "Always look on the bright side of life"?! We have gotten to a point that is about that absurd. United States of America 2020 and we are clearly the worst in the world at dealing with this mess. It's upsetting.

Houston Texas is on the edge of disaster.

Where is the leadership going to come from to put a plan together that will allow kids to go to school this Fall? 50 states with 50 different plans. No matter how well we do here, if things go bad elsewhere, we are screwed. Do we just have to rub some dirt on it and get back to life as normal no matter what the consequences? This is a Joke.

Put a clown in charge and you better expect a circus. Don't think we could possibly have worse governance from the executive branch. There needs to be a federal plan. It is getting to the point where it is criminal. The Death of Expertise!!!

Remember in the Life of Brian where they are being crucified and start singing "Always look on the bright side of life"?! We have gotten to a point that is about that absurd. United States of America 2020 and we are clearly the worst in the world at dealing with this mess. It's upsetting.

Houston Texas is on the edge of disaster.

Where is the leadership going to come from to put a plan together that will allow kids to go to school this Fall? 50 states with 50 different plans. No matter how well we do here, if things go bad elsewhere, we are screwed. Do we just have to rub some dirt on it and get back to life as normal no matter what the consequences? This is a Joke.
Get outta here with that crap. Houston's most occupied hospital TMC has 25% ICU covid patients an increase of 4 rooms total over pre opening. I have 3 restaurant's in Houston and am here now. If there is any issue from the "opening up" it's the inbcreased violence in the city that is increasing hospital visits including ICU visits. But that is an issue unto itself. The hospital "fear" is compounded by testing all patients coming in for anything for Covid and some of them are testing positive but the admittance issue is NOT Covid related, though they have Covid. If your here you would see the honest situation. Much like the media and Dewine saying Warren County is a "hot spot" when it's simply a lie. Texas average Covid death age is 83, Ohio's is 81 and NONE under 20. Average life expectancy in Ohio is 77. Wake up, and let the kids be kids.

81 and 83 year old' s aren't human beings, so of course you are right. I don't think you understand my points at all. I want the kids to be kids. None of this should be going on, but there is no plan. There is no leadership. They already shut down schools once. It's very easy for them to not allow schools to open since they aren't open now. Kids under 18 aren't driving the economy and High School Cross Country isn't a consideration in a single decision makers thoughts. If school was scheduled to start today, I do not think it would happen. No Sports without schools. Governor of Texas isn't exactly talking of things being back to 100%.

There needs to be a coherent plan and there is not one at this time. Chaos and over reaction and under reaction is not a plan. Talk to people that deal with over run ICU's.

Our school entered the Pre State meet Monday. 10 kids, 1 coach, 1 driver to keep the bus number at 12. No plan yet for the labor day weekend event.
After classes have been in session for two or three weeks, we might be done if infections are increasing, so at least we will get in a race.