Will XC happen this fall?

claynation

And if so, how will things be different? Also, when will we be allowed to start practicing? I have to assume spectators won’t be permitted at meets.

DeWine has floated the possibility of students attending school just two days per week next year, and I’m worried about what impact that will have on fall sports.

Thank You for bringing us back to the post of Track/XC! It will interesting to see what happens this Fall. My AD was throwing around the idea that has been talked about with Fr/Soph going Mon and Tues, clean Wed, Jr/Sr on Thurs and Fr, clean Sat. His question was, "what do we do about practice?" I guess we will wait and see.

Believe it or not, there are experts that have a lot of answers and guidance for us, but they are just sitting on the sidelines. The CDC has plans. Very specific plans that outline best practices to get kids back to school. How this or that should happen. It is what they do and they are very good at it. Day one... Testing and contact tracking. 90% of this would have been avoided if we had started testing and contact tracking from the gun. We are now 3 months into this and we are not doing the basics. Testing and contact tracking would have had us back to school and track and field meets and restaurants and at least 75% of the economy chugging along, but it's not happening. The saying that should have come out of leaderships mouth is "Prevention is better than a cure!" not "The cure can't be worse than the disease." Nothing has progressed since we had to gather our teams together and tell them that they would have a 3 week Spring Break, stay safe and see you in 3 weeks.

The grand plan 8 weeks later is, everyone cross your fingers and hope. Gatornation says it all. "I guess we will wait and see." We can't even have a discussion on the Cross Country season because we can't even have a discussion on schools opening. How about maybe we start testing and contact tracking and make some educated plans?

Will we progress in the next 3 months, or will we still be were we are today which is where we were 3 months ago?

If it was just track, softball, wrestling, field hockey, xc, etc being cancelled this fall, I think it would be doubtful for fall sports.
But this is FOOTBALL season too. The powers that control all levels of that sport are very likely to do everything necessary to make it happen.
They might even pay for everyone's Covid 19 testing to help make fall sports possible. As you said PD the government has not advanced much, but the private sector might get the job done.

I believe we could have golf and tennis this fall with no problem. Any of the other contact sports would require extensive testing all season. We could have cross country under these guidelines. Limit the regular season to 4 or 5 meets. Make the District a Super regional . Then run most other meets in a virtual relay format. You give teams a 24 to 36 window to run on the course the timing chips will do all the rest. Will it be easy nope. will there be problems and a lot of things to workout probably.

Here is a question I have, how would the events even have their start?

The way I see it, if the kids can travel together on a bus to a location, they can all start at the same time per usual for the meets. Cross Country in terms of as many people together on sidelines\races\contests isn't much different than football, soccer, or volleyball. Golf and Tennis are the outliers.

If kids are in school, there will be sports as usual. If not, there won't be. Seems simple to me. How about we start with adults being able to follow a few simple rules. #1. Be considerate of others. Well, maybe just one simple rule. I guess we have to add don't shoot people if they require you or just ask you to wear a face mask. Let's try and start there and see if we can build that up to having cross country meets.

One other thing to remember is that even though most of us that care about CC also understand that there are other sports, 90% of football people could care less about CC, Tennis, Golf, Volleyball or anything else. They will send their kids to a state that is playing HS football just so they can play. They will gladly advocate that no other sports be allowed to happen if it means that football can. CC kids are usually honor roll type kids anyway, they can stay home and distance learn and Football kids can go to school and participate in the only sport that matters. If only some kids can go to school, it probably should be football kids.

By the end of today we will be at 81k dead. That's a great job done. Right? For the richest most advanced nation in the world. Aren't there any CC kids that can take the task force over and get a grip on this?

Believe it or not, there are experts that have a lot of answers and guidance for us, but they are just sitting on the sidelines. The CDC has plans. Very specific plans that outline best practices to get kids back to school. How this or that should happen. It is what they do and they are very good at it. Day one... Testing and contact tracking. 90% of this would have been avoided if we had started testing and contact tracking from the gun. We are now 3 months into this and we are not doing the basics. Testing and contact tracking would have had us back to school and track and field meets and restaurants and at least 75% of the economy chugging along, but it's not happening. The saying that should have come out of leaderships mouth is "Prevention is better than a cure!" not "The cure can't be worse than the disease." Nothing has progressed since we had to gather our teams together and tell them that they would have a 3 week Spring Break, stay safe and see you in 3 weeks.

The grand plan 8 weeks later is, everyone cross your fingers and hope. Gatornation says it all. "I guess we will wait and see." We can't even have a discussion on the Cross Country season because we can't even have a discussion on schools opening. How about maybe we start testing and contact tracking and make some educated plans?

Will we progress in the next 3 months, or will we still be were we are today which is where we were 3 months ago?

How does "contact tracking" work exactly? I have read it's being done in countries with little to no civil rights. The government follows everyone's cell phone by GPS and tracks their credit card usage. I have also read about voluntary tracking through an app that Google is working on but isn't ready yet. What type of tracking are you advocating?

How does "contact tracking" work exactly? I have read it's being done in countries with little to no civil rights. The government follows everyone's cell phone by GPS and tracks their credit card usage. I have also read about voluntary tracking through an app that Google is working on but isn't ready yet. What type of tracking are you advocating?
There is essentially an army of people that ask people that are positive for Covid-19 where they have been and who they have been in contact with. They then contact as many people as they can with information and those people can self quarantine. They can also give people information on how to properly self-quarantine. Also find out people they have been in contact and reach out to more people. Basically a telemarketer that's script is getting information that can be acted on to warn others and stop outbreaks quickly. Fast turn a round on testing would be key. Can't have 5 day lags like they are having now in some places. No need to have big brother spying on us. But I would guess that a voluntary app would help.

There is essentially an army of people that ask people that are positive for Covid-19 where they have been and who they have been in contact with. They then contact as many people as they can with information and those people can self quarantine. They can also give people information on how to properly self-quarantine. Also find out people they have been in contact and reach out to more people. Basically a telemarketer that's script is getting information that can be acted on to warn others and stop outbreaks quickly. Fast turn a round on testing would be key. Can't have 5 day lags like they are having now in some places. No need to have big brother spying on us. But I would guess that a voluntary app would help.
I guess that would work for school mates, co-workers, etc. I was think more of stores, restaurants or movie theaters.

Contact tracers will check to see what stores you went to, and if you went to big gatherings, but there is not a lot they can do in those settings. The big thing they do is to try to track down everyone you spent time near while you might have been infectious. So they ask you a lot of questions and start contacting those people. When you are talking about stores and other places where you don't know who you were near, the information is probably used more often to figure out if a store or gathering you went to was the source of an infection. But they will, for instance, try to track down all 50 people who went to a party if one person in the party gets sick. Testing and tracing (then isolating the exposed) is basically how we kept SARS from being a COVID-19 level thing. But for really big gathering places you just are not going to be able have enough info for people to trace your contacts. This is where apps can be useful.

If you do decide to use contact tracing apps (and if you are someone who wants the economy to reopen and not be forced to shut down hard again by mid June it is probably a good idea) the apps that Apple and Google are developing have privacy-first contact tracing. It is a good idea to look for privacy first apps. Psychodad an explanation was in that long piece but here is the short version... your phone sends out short messages of random characters every couple of minutes via bluetooth. Other phones hear and record those messages. If you are diagnosed with COVID-19 you have your phone send its messages to the hospital. It adds those messages to a list. Everyone running the app is checking those messages continuously. If your phone heard enough of those messages it will alert you that you could have been exposed. This system depends on you then acting prudently. It is NOT a replacement for people doing contact tracing. But it could be really useful. If it operates with privacy-first principles it can be really useful without putting a lot of your private information at risk.

Last edited:
Interesting analysis by a researcher who has been working day and night for the past 8 weeks on studying coroanvirus, Dr. Jay Bhattacharya.

Yes, it's from the conservative Hoover Institution, but give it a chance anyways if you have time. Dr. Bhattacharya seemingly does a good job to distinguish when he's talking about the actual scientific data and when he's giving his opinion or interpretation of that data.

Thanks SOTT,
I watched the entire video. Great science, math and sociology. seemed politically unbiased and did not try to answer anything that there is no answer for. sometimes there is not an answer. At this point no one knows if there will be a CC season.

Dear Atalanta, Please please please let grown ups take over getting a handle on this Covid-19 crisis. Woodridge is bringing back a real strong CC team with a very good chance of winning a record setting state championship. Debbie Downer (billcarson) is posting Stories specifically meant to bring me down. Please let there be Cross Country in 2020 and let Bay finish a close second behind the Bulldogs like only 100 points behind or so. I know we don't know much about this virus, but any of us that have kids know that children don't ever go to school and bring home any illnesses. Let schools open! If kids don't go to school, they might grow up ignorant like all those football people on the other forum. Is cc609 OK? If you allow there to be School and a cross country season and if Woodridge is lucky enough to win a state championship, I'll only ask for 9 or 10 more championships. Please make billcarson make me laugh more with bone spur references and not this bad news he is putting on here. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
In contrast the University of South Carolina announced last week that they will have in person classes this fall.

In contrast the University of South Carolina announced last week that they will have in person classes this fall.
Now, that's better. And that's closer to home here where real people live. Go to bed mad, but wake up happy. On a side note: I lived in Columbia SC and took my final class to graduate from BGSU there. A physics class of some sort. Easiest class I ever had. Probably would have been less of a waste of time if I could have taken it online or a as a correspondence course or at a kindergarten, but that was 32 years ago. I'm sure it's gotten a lot better down there. Go Cocks!

In for a penny in for a pound. With private armies opening barbershops, and intimidating governors, Donny has the country by
the Access Hollywoods. Are fall sports worth 4 more years of this?

In for a penny in for a pound. With private armies opening barbershops, and intimidating governors, Donny has the country by
the Access Hollywoods. Are fall sports worth 4 more years of this?

You’re essentially presenting a false choice.

Seems with DeWine announcement today that starting 5/26 if a non OSHAA school board approved coach wants to start a running club they can get the kids together to run as long as it is not on school property.

Cross country is not yet listed as one of the allowed low/no-contact sports.

Effective May 26, the OHSAA’s No-Contact Period will be lifted for the following sports:

· Baseball*

· Golf

· Softball*

· Swimming & Diving

· Tennis

· Track & Field

Effective May 26, the OHSAA’s No-Contact Period will be lifted for the following sports:

· Baseball*

· Golf

· Softball*

· Swimming & Diving

· Tennis

· Track & Field
It's not obvious, but I believe this is because OHSAA is reverting to the rules for "individual sports", including XC, which permit coaching contact prior to the August 1st season start date (item c. below)... beginning June 1. That's the way I piece this all together... I am seeking clarification.

Previous Approvals of Adjusted General Sport Regulations
Each of the following were discussed and approved by the OHSAA’s Board of Directors:

7.5.1) Team Sports – Members of a school team’s coaching staff in the team sports of baseball, basketball, field hockey, football, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball and volleyball may coach students from their school teams from June 1 through August 31*, 2020, without restriction except that participation cannot be mandatory.

*Note: The extension of these dates through August 31 is valid only for the 2020 summer period. Beginning with the 2021 summer period, the period of unrestricted coaching for interscholastic team sports coaches with their student-athletes will return to the period from June 1-July 31.
a.) In the sport of football, only non-contact football is permitted.
b.) See General Sports Regulation 8.2.1 for regulations pertaining to out-of-season instruction, which is different than this regulation on coaching.
c.) Individual sports already had this permission of unlimited contact (non-mandatory).

My point being, all the XC kids are now Track kids. Just like back in the day when all softball and baseball players were pitchers and catchers when their season started earlier until they changed that rule. And by the way, what good does ending the no contact period for Spring sports on May 26th when the season is already over and Summer has started??

· Baseball*

· Golf

· Softball*

· Swimming & Diving

· Tennis

· Track & Field

So, in effect, starting on May 26, XC coaches can start hosting summer runs under the guise of a "track practice," assuming the coaches and athletes involved are also members of their school's track program.