Will Trotwood join the GCL-coed?

daytonsportsfan

With Purcell and Bacon leaving for all sports after the 20-21 season, McNick won't be near anyone in the league. Assuming McNick leaves, I think Trotwood would be a good fit for the coed, keeping the league at 6 teams. Thoughts?

Minus football and basketball, Trotwood is not competitive in anything else/cannot field frosh/jv teams. Soccer, volleyball, baseball, and softball are all awful.

Minus football and basketball, Trotwood is not competitive in anything else/cannot field frosh/jv teams. Soccer, volleyball, baseball, and softball are all awful.
Is this a fact or are you sensationalizing for affect on your post?

Is this a fact or are you sensationalizing for affect on your post?
That is a fact. The Trotwood boys soccer team showed up with only 8 players to their first round playoff game against Tipp this year. I have personally been at softball games where teams playing Trotwood illegally leadoff to create outs to stop the inning because Trotwood couldn't make outs and it was too early for mercy rule. As dominant as they are in some sports they are just as awful and uncompetitive in others. No one wants someone in their league where the competition is so lopsided either direction.

and yet not all the athletes that goes to those schools are catholic.

Right, and a lot of Catholic kids go to public schools. Many of them after 8 years in Catholic grade school. It’s the mission that makes them Catholic, not the clientele.
And, public school coaches can recruit with blessing of the OHSAA Catholic grade school athletes. The reverse is not true. Please don’t give me the Moeller argument. Some Catholic school coaches recruit, just like some public school coaches. Most do not.

Right, and a lot of Catholic kids go to public schools. Many of them after 8 years in Catholic grade school. It’s the mission that makes them Catholic, not the clientele.
And, public school coaches can recruit with blessing of the OHSAA Catholic grade school athletes. The reverse is not true. Please don’t give me the Moeller argument. Some Catholic school coaches recruit, just like some public school coaches. Most do not.

I can care less about the athletics and who recruits and who does not. They are private Catholic schools so the clientele better be catholic but because of sports things change. Basically, if you are a Catholic school then your teachers and students need to be Catholic..... pretty simple.

I can care less about the athletics and who recruits and who does not. They are private Catholic schools so the clientele better be catholic but because of sports things change. Basically, if you are a Catholic school then your teachers and students need to be Catholic..... pretty simple.

And a school like Wayne can poach athletes from St Peters?

And a school like Wayne can poach athletes from St Peters?

As long as they physically reside in the Huber Heights School District then yes. It is not like the Huber Heights School District can build elementary schools in Kettering and other cities like private schools can do to draw the best "students" cough cough Moe/LaSalle "athletes". Personally, I can care less about if a kid from St. Peters wants to go to Wayne or CJ. I no longer give a crap about Wayne in its current form. What I am saying that Catholic schools should have Catholic students but not every catholic student is required to go to a catholic school. We all know why they originally existed.

That is a fact. The Trotwood boys soccer team showed up with only 8 players to their first round playoff game against Tipp this year. I have personally been at softball games where teams playing Trotwood illegally leadoff to create outs to stop the inning because Trotwood couldn't make outs and it was too early for mercy rule. As dominant as they are in some sports they are just as awful and uncompetitive in others. No one wants someone in their league where the competition is so lopsided either direction.
They fielded a team, give me an example of when they have not fielded a team or had to forfeit because they didn't show because they didn't have a team.

They fielded a team, give me an example of when they have not fielded a team or had to forfeit because they didn't show because they didn't have a team.
Although I think it was for other reasons they didn’t have jv or freshman football this year. My thoughts are it is due to Tornado others have said that wasn’t the case. I think its bogus they are being based off softball, baseball, soccer etc. Not many schools in gwoc are overall competitive in those sports

As for Trotwood, I believe Trotwood should stay in the GWOC for all other sports except football. Once the GWOC can find another team or get rid of one then they should be in for football too. I do understand how having an odd number of teams would not work for football.

I never claimed they didn't field a team. If you think showing up with 8 for a tournament game in a sport that plays 11 is fielding a competitive team, then I'd like to bet you on the outcome of those games. Neither boys nor girls soccer fields a JV team. I can't speak to every sport but as bad as they are in many of the non-revenue sports I doubt many others do either. From an attendance aspect they also travel very poorly resulting in low gate receipts. What is the upside to having them in your league?

I never claimed they didn't field a team. If you think showing up with 8 for a tournament game in a sport that plays 11 is fielding a competitive team, then I'd like to bet you on the outcome of those games. Neither boys nor girls soccer fields a JV team. I can't speak to every sport but as bad as they are in many of the non-revenue sports I doubt many others do either. From an attendance aspect they also travel very poorly resulting in low gate receipts. What is the upside to having them in your league?
Read post #11 again by America in fact, read mine again top to bottom.

I did read both and don't see your point. They don't field freshman and JV teams in many sports that the other schools do. I gave you 2 examples. I also gave you an example where they showed up 3 players short of a full starting line up for a varsity tournament game. I empathize for what the community was and is going through with the tornado but these were issues going on before that. Merely showing up doesn't make you competitive. Most other schools are rarely going to be state contenders in basketball and football the way Trotwood has in recent years. Again, why would you want a school in your league that the games aren't competitive either direction? Not to mention the headache of trying to find alternate games for your JV and freshman teams. I still haven't heard a reason why you would want them.

According to gwoc website Trorwood had the following records in the final year the GWOC had 20 schools (2018-2019)
Boys soccer 0-15
Volleyball 0-18
Girls soccer 3-11-2 (2-7-1 league)
Boys cross country No team
Girls Cross Country No Team
Boys Golf No Team
Girls Golf No Team
Girls Tennis 2-11 (2-8 league)
Wrestling 17th out of 20 place league meet
Boys Swim Tied for last league meet
Girls Swim No team (only school to have a pool in your high school)
Boys Bowling 0-14
Girls Bowling 0-14
Baseball 3-17 (0-13 league)
Softball 3-19 (0-14 league)
Boys Tennis 6-13 (2-8 league)

That's 12 sports that either failed to field a team or failed to win a league game. 16 sports that you are at or near bottom of standings. No idea if any of those 132 losses were forfeited nor does it matter to me. You dominate in boys basketball and football. That leaves girls basketball and track that there are competitive competition on a regular basis.

All of that ^^^^^ is irrelevant. Many schools field a team, only a handful are competitive. The point is that they showed up, doesn't matter how they competed, THEY HAVE A TEAM!
Fielding a team competitive or not and not able to compete because of no team = 2 different components!

Then you are ignoring the 5 sanctioned sports that they failed to field a team. Those teams obviously "didn't show up". No other school is even close to that number. How bad do you have to be to not win a league game in 6 sports. They couldn't even pull off a win against another bottom dweller. Everyone wants to point to another reason they aren't in a league. The reason is they either don't have a team, are ridiculously bad, or are ridiculously good in 90% of the sports. PERIOD!!!! It may not matter to you how they compete but it apparently does to the schools that either voted them out or didn't invite them. The wins/losses don't lie. You can make your words bold and underline them all you want. It doesn't change the facts.

Last edited:
That's BS
I was curious about this so I decided to look at the sports this past fall in the GWOC. It appears that Trotwood did not have a boys soccer team, boys cross country team or a boys golf team this year. Making them the only team in the GWOC to not have a team in those sports. Unless I'm missing something, Trotwood was not listed in the season ending standings for those sports.