Will there be a Wrestling Season for 2020-2021?

Will there be a Wrestling Season for 2020-2021?

• Yes

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • No

Votes: 70 45.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 33 21.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ohsaa just sent out Return to Play guidelines to the ADs for all fall sports. Looks good for non-contact sports (golf, tennis and volleyball). The contact sports have not been given the okay to compete against other teams yet (and maybe won't be). The golf regulations was 2 pages the football was over 25 pages long.

Again, the problem is there aren't enough facilities to host Club Teams. Sure some will thrive but there simply isn't enough space. Clubs will select the top wrestlers to represent them and then the rest will be left out. I'm guessing pricing would also go way up based on how few spots are available.
Think outside the box. Lots of warehouse space available to lease. Might be a run on bag chairs.

There will be no wrestling in 20/21. It's extremely sad, but that's reality. This sport is on it's last leg period. There might be a opportunity for club wrestling but that's it. It was really dropping off to begin with, but with the era of covid, it's dead. imo. It makes me sad. I wrestled in college and coached for many years. This breaks my heart.

There will be no wrestling in 20/21. It's extremely sad, but that's reality. This sport is on it's last leg period. There might be a opportunity for club wrestling but that's it. It was really dropping off to begin with, but with the era of covid, it's dead. imo. It makes me sad. I wrestled in college and coached for many years. This breaks my heart.
The basketball forum is in the other room ...that's where you belong

TDS can be unhealthy. There will be wrestling in some form. MAGA

LOL! There's no one that wants wrestling more me, but you have to come to reality. 40 years ago this was a up and coming sport. It hit it's peak in the 90's and early 2000's. Then came the era of specialization and it destroyed the participation. No longer are gyms packed to capacity anticipating a great dual meet. I watched a st. eds vs graham dual a few years ago at graham and there were less than 50 people in the stands. I love every ones passion for this sport, but the era of covid may have destroyed or regressed it to a swimming meet. I hope the hell I'm wrong.

Covidsucks,
I'm afraid you've nailed it my friend. Especially the "era of specialization" making it no longer a sport for the simply good athlete to be competitive while also pursuing other sports & interests. To succeed today you have to be a "fanatic" and that relegates it to the fantastic few rather than the really good many.

I’d be supportive of moving seasons. I know not makes things tricky, but a little is better than nothing.

That's how Virginia public schools sports league just voted. Winter sports will be first season, condensed to Dec 14-Feb 20. That end date is not too far from their usual end date.

My thought for wrestling is, get it started early and give time for athletes to get past this.

This season will not happen. Wrestling has the most chance of viral transfer than any sport on the planet. If we won't allow a harmless case of ringworm, how in the heck are we going to bring in multiple wrestlers into a gymnasium and breath all over each other. Again, this thing sucks, but eventually you have to get a grip on reality. There are thousands of wrestlers that acquired herpes from wrestling, I was one. That virus will stay with me for the rest of my life. Covid is unknown. What's the long term consequences? Some experts say that it may effect the reproductive systems of young people sexual development. If you where a parent of a young child, do you want to take that risk? Hate on me all you want, my grand kids all wrestle, but the risk doesn't out way the reward.IMO.

This season will not happen. Wrestling has the most chance of viral transfer than any sport on the planet. If we won't allow a harmless case of ringworm, how in the heck are we going to bring in multiple wrestlers into a gymnasium and breath all over each other. Again, this thing sucks, but eventually you have to get a grip on reality. There are thousands of wrestlers that acquired herpes from wrestling, I was one. That virus will stay with me for the rest of my life. Covid is unknown. What's the long term consequences? Some experts say that it may effect the reproductive systems of young people sexual development. If you where a parent of a young child, do you want to take that risk? Hate on me all you want, my grand kids all wrestle, but the risk doesn't out way the reward.IMO.
You are in the wrong forum...basketball forum is on a different page ..bye

Should wrestling be cancelled until a vaccine can be found for Mat Herpes?

Well Toledo public schools just canceled fall sports its only a matter of time before winter sports follow suit. Hopefully there will be an opportunity to do club with ohsaa bailing out.

Today's update from the Ohsaa:
For Immediate Release – July 31, 2020
Contact – Tim Stried, OHSAA Director of Communications, tstried@ohsaa.org

OHSAA FALL SPORTS PRACTICES BEGIN SATURDAY
All fall sports can begin practice, while golf, tennis and volleyball have been approved by the Governor to have contests between schools

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association’s fall sports of girls tennis, girls and boys golf, field hockey, girls and boys soccer, girls and boys cross country, volleyball and football officially begin practice Saturday, August 1.

Earlier Friday, the OHSAA Board of Directors reaffirmed their position that the OHSAA fall sports seasons will go forward as planned. While all fall sports can practice, contests between schools in the sports of golf, tennis and volleyball have been approved by Governor Mike DeWine. The OHSAA continues to work with the Governor’s Office toward approval of contests in cross country, field hockey, soccer and football.

“It is important to keep athletic activity moving forward,” said Dan Leffingwell, president of the OHSAA Board of Directors and superintendent of the Noble Local Schools in Sarahsville. “And with that, we believe our member schools provide our student-athletes with the safest possible environment to return to play and that our school programs are the best avenue to help students learn lifelong lessons and provide social, emotional and physical benefits that other programs cannot. Moving forward allows those students to continue to be engaged with their school coaches and teammates. Membership data also supports this decision.”

Friday’s full memo sent to member schools at 2:00 PM is posted at: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/BulletinBoard/20200731AdministratorUpdate.pdf

Some schools across Ohio will not be able to begin practice Saturday. That situation and others are addressed in this OHSAA Question and Answer document: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/BulletinBoard/20200731QandA.pdf

Earlier this week, the OHSAA suspended scrimmages in the four fall contact sports that have not yet been approved by the Governor for school vs. school competition (field hockey, cross country, soccer and football). That memo is posted at: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/BulletinBoard/20200728Update.pdf

The OHSAA’s COVID-19 correspondence center is posted at: https://www.ohsaa.org/Home/OHSAA-COVID-19-Correspondence

“If we were to delay, our students will find opportunities to compete in sports through non-school programs that may not be focused on safety and are not education-based,” Leffingwell said. “Should data on COVID-19 change and/or the Governor’s Office makes changes to our plan, we have flexibility that would allow us to look at implementing other models for our seasons.”

Low/Non-Contact Sports (Golf, Girls Tennis, Volleyball)
• Official practices may begin on Saturday, Aug. 1.
• School vs. school scrimmages and/or contests will follow per their normal OHSAA permissible dates and regulations.
• Golf – 1 scrimmage permitted any time during season; first contest Aug. 5.
• Girls Tennis – 1 scrimmage permitted after practice begins and prior to first match; first contest Aug. 7.
• Volleyball – 5 scrimmages and 1 preview permitted after practice begins; first contest Aug. 21.

Football
• Official practices will begin on Saturday, Aug. 1, with the normal acclimatization period in place.
• No school vs. school scrimmages are permitted.
• School vs. school contests will follow per their normal OHSAA permissible dates and regulations with a target date of the week of Monday, Aug. 24 (Note: This date is subject to change and subject to the approval from the Governor’s Office/Ohio Department of Health and with the stipulation that COVID-19 testing will not be required).

Other Contact Sports (Soccer, Field Hockey, Cross Country)
• Practices will begin on Saturday, Aug. 1, with the normal acclimatization period in place for cross country.
• No school vs. school scrimmages are permitted in soccer or field hockey.
• School vs. school contests will follow per their normal OHSAA permissible dates and regulations with a target date of Friday, Aug. 21, for soccer and field hockey and Monday, Aug. 24, for cross country (Note: These dates are subject to change and subject to the approval from the Governor’s Office/Ohio Department of Health and with the stipulation that COVID-19 testing will not be required).

Additional Notes
• If contact sports are not approved for school vs. school competition by Friday, September 4, fall contact sports and remaining winter and spring sports will move to a condensed schedule that will take place between mid-December and the end of June. Fall non-contact sports would move forward as scheduled.
• If the fall seasons begin and, for some reason, are stopped but then resume, the OHSAA has plans to move to a modified fall sports season.
• If contact sports are approved for school vs. school competition, the OHSAA is prepared to set COVID-19-related requirements for schools to follow for competitions as requested by the Governor’s Office. The OHSAA will govern and issue consequences for the violation of these requirements as prescribed in OHSAA Bylaw 11, Penalties.
• Conversations with the Governor’s Office/Ohio Department of Health continue regarding the status of field hockey and/or cross country being placed into the low/non-contact category. The membership will be updated if that changes for either or both sports.
• The OHSAA continues with conversations with the Governor’s Office on its plans to ensure we are in concert.

Today's update from the Ohsaa:
For Immediate Release – July 31, 2020
Contact – Tim Stried, OHSAA Director of Communications, tstried@ohsaa.org

OHSAA FALL SPORTS PRACTICES BEGIN SATURDAY
All fall sports can begin practice, while golf, tennis and volleyball have been approved by the Governor to have contests between schools

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association’s fall sports of girls tennis, girls and boys golf, field hockey, girls and boys soccer, girls and boys cross country, volleyball and football officially begin practice Saturday, August 1.

Earlier Friday, the OHSAA Board of Directors reaffirmed their position that the OHSAA fall sports seasons will go forward as planned. While all fall sports can practice, contests between schools in the sports of golf, tennis and volleyball have been approved by Governor Mike DeWine. The OHSAA continues to work with the Governor’s Office toward approval of contests in cross country, field hockey, soccer and football.

“It is important to keep athletic activity moving forward,” said Dan Leffingwell, president of the OHSAA Board of Directors and superintendent of the Noble Local Schools in Sarahsville. “And with that, we believe our member schools provide our student-athletes with the safest possible environment to return to play and that our school programs are the best avenue to help students learn lifelong lessons and provide social, emotional and physical benefits that other programs cannot. Moving forward allows those students to continue to be engaged with their school coaches and teammates. Membership data also supports this decision.”

Friday’s full memo sent to member schools at 2:00 PM is posted at: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/BulletinBoard/20200731AdministratorUpdate.pdf

Some schools across Ohio will not be able to begin practice Saturday. That situation and others are addressed in this OHSAA Question and Answer document: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/BulletinBoard/20200731QandA.pdf

Earlier this week, the OHSAA suspended scrimmages in the four fall contact sports that have not yet been approved by the Governor for school vs. school competition (field hockey, cross country, soccer and football). That memo is posted at: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/BulletinBoard/20200728Update.pdf

The OHSAA’s COVID-19 correspondence center is posted at: https://www.ohsaa.org/Home/OHSAA-COVID-19-Correspondence

“If we were to delay, our students will find opportunities to compete in sports through non-school programs that may not be focused on safety and are not education-based,” Leffingwell said. “Should data on COVID-19 change and/or the Governor’s Office makes changes to our plan, we have flexibility that would allow us to look at implementing other models for our seasons.”

Low/Non-Contact Sports (Golf, Girls Tennis, Volleyball)
• Official practices may begin on Saturday, Aug. 1.
• School vs. school scrimmages and/or contests will follow per their normal OHSAA permissible dates and regulations.
• Golf – 1 scrimmage permitted any time during season; first contest Aug. 5.
• Girls Tennis – 1 scrimmage permitted after practice begins and prior to first match; first contest Aug. 7.
• Volleyball – 5 scrimmages and 1 preview permitted after practice begins; first contest Aug. 21.

Football
• Official practices will begin on Saturday, Aug. 1, with the normal acclimatization period in place.
• No school vs. school scrimmages are permitted.
• School vs. school contests will follow per their normal OHSAA permissible dates and regulations with a target date of the week of Monday, Aug. 24 (Note: This date is subject to change and subject to the approval from the Governor’s Office/Ohio Department of Health and with the stipulation that COVID-19 testing will not be required).

Other Contact Sports (Soccer, Field Hockey, Cross Country)
• Practices will begin on Saturday, Aug. 1, with the normal acclimatization period in place for cross country.
• No school vs. school scrimmages are permitted in soccer or field hockey.
• School vs. school contests will follow per their normal OHSAA permissible dates and regulations with a target date of Friday, Aug. 21, for soccer and field hockey and Monday, Aug. 24, for cross country (Note: These dates are subject to change and subject to the approval from the Governor’s Office/Ohio Department of Health and with the stipulation that COVID-19 testing will not be required).

Additional Notes
• If contact sports are not approved for school vs. school competition by Friday, September 4, fall contact sports and remaining winter and spring sports will move to a condensed schedule that will take place between mid-December and the end of June. Fall non-contact sports would move forward as scheduled.
• If the fall seasons begin and, for some reason, are stopped but then resume, the OHSAA has plans to move to a modified fall sports season.
• If contact sports are approved for school vs. school competition, the OHSAA is prepared to set COVID-19-related requirements for schools to follow for competitions as requested by the Governor’s Office. The OHSAA will govern and issue consequences for the violation of these requirements as prescribed in OHSAA Bylaw 11, Penalties.
• Conversations with the Governor’s Office/Ohio Department of Health continue regarding the status of field hockey and/or cross country being placed into the low/non-contact category. The membership will be updated if that changes for either or both sports.
• The OHSAA continues with conversations with the Governor’s Office on its plans to ensure we are in concert.

Two many unknowns of the disease to expose children. Can't see it happening.

I don't have a dog in the fight... but it seems most sensible, at least this year, to move the start date to Jan. 1st. While some feel the virus will simply disappear with the election, I think they may be failing to see that the rest of the world is also being affected by this and they don't give a rip who gets elected. At the end of the day, the goal is first and foremost to keep the kids safe... the schools will always fall back on the CYA approach. With the number up in the Cuyahoga Valley... do you really think that there aren't going to be AD's holding their schools team from competing at Ironman? This board is filled with the "crazies." Most of us are what makes wrestling such a passionate sport. However, I think that we are also putting our sport at risk proceeding like the "warriors" that some people describe. Last years canceled OHSAA tournament was devastating, round two will happen if we come out of the gate too quick and see a bunch of positive tests... Just my opinion.

Coach Root

Defending state champions in football (Trotwood) CANCELLING, not postponing all fall sports is not a promising sign. Sad for those kids.... Many who are scholarship worthy, and that's the only way they would go to college. Not a Trotwood fan nor hater, and this is not meant to be derogatory towards the community, just a fact

Politics is definitely at play. Sports is the conundrum for the educational community. If clubs get to be normal, good buy high schools sports. Football players seem to have no options. This could be a positive for wrestling. Offer club wrestling to those football players. No one has to wrestle that doesn't want to. JMO

Why can't there be wrestling? Flowrestling is showing that it can be done. Goodbye to the events where there's a lot of people. 2 kids on a mat, 1 coach in each corner, ref, trainer and a couple table workers.

I guess you've never been to a two day wrestling tournament. A lot of spitting, bleeding and sweating and that doesn't even come close to whats happening in the bleachers.

Status
Not open for further replies.