Will there be a season?

OHSAA has done the right thing so far not to outright cancel spring sports. It may come to that dependent on the health situation.

NCAA made the decision it did based on the academic, competitive climate that their teams have. They might have been rash, I don't know for sure but there are different circumstances surrounding college sports than Ohio high school.

I'm wondering if the OHSAA would consider pushing back the state championships, even into late June. I know that this is primetime for the travel teams and it would definitely be interesting to see which teams the kids pick. Regardless of who shows up, I think it would be great if they could complete the season with a champion.
I would think OHSAA would not change their schedule for a variety of reasons. They already have the season ending on 6/20 for Baseball with the tournament 6/11-12-13.
If they start back up in May that is enough time to get a modified season/tournament in.
I would also think most school districts/boards would not extend their year unless there was a government mandate and all indications are that may not happen.
At most schools seniors will graduate in late May early June. (this could be pushed back and seniors may not even have a ceremony). Late June through early August is a big time for administrators/teachers/coaches making moves to other positions and schools.
I would say if it cannot get done by the already posted dates they will cancel it...

They have talked about going past their deadline for the Winter sports. It would be unprecedented but not a major surprise to me if they extended the baseball and softball seasons. It really is going to depend on how long it takes this virus to run its course. There are some that are afraid the Falls sports are at risk too.

The writing is on the wall that schools will remain closed for the rest of the academic year, in which case there is no chance of even a shortened season happening.

Seems that is the direction that DeWine is heading in.

School teachers and admins that I have spoken with are already getting the "get ready" from those in the know.

DeWine already knows what he's going to do. He's implementing an incremental plan. (smart move)

Does anyone really believe that yesterday bars and restaurant patronage was acceptable and he changed his mind based on emails from the Mahoning Valley, Cleveland, and Southwest Ohio complaining about bars and restaurants being crowded? Of course not. This was coming and he stuck his foot in his mouth on national TV this morning (not a smart move) with the comments about restaurants and bars which forced him to call the briefing today (it wasn't scheduled). (please limit your TV time to your daily briefings)

Daycare is next up. He all but said it yesterday and repeated it today.

.....and there's more to come besides that.

Last edited:
CDC recommends cancelling or postponing events with 50 people or more for 8 weeks

“Large events and mass gatherings can contribute to the spread of COVID-19 in the United States via travelers who attend these events and introduce the virus to new communities,” the new guidance from the CDC said. “Examples of large events and mass gatherings include conferences, festivals, parades, concerts, sporting events, weddings, and other types of assemblies.”

The CDC recommended organizers “cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States.”

That would take us to May 11th. Obviously, alot will change between now and then. It will be interesting if they can hold off until late April to make any decisions. If things are clearing up at that point, they could begin the season in a limited way. Start the playoffs and at the same time let schools play their league schedules until school lets out.

Again, this is a long way off and things could look much better by then or much worse. Holding out for a little over a month would be the right decision by the OHSAA in hopes of having a Spring sports season this year.

School teachers and admins that I have spoken with are already getting the "get ready" from those in the know.

DeWine already knows what he's going to do. He's implementing an incremental plan. (smart move)

Does anyone really believe that yesterday bars and restaurant patronage was acceptable and he changed his mind based on emails from the Mahoning Valley, Cleveland, and Southwest Ohio complaining about bars and restaurants being crowded? Of course not. This was coming and he stuck his foot in his mouth on national TV this morning (not a smart move) with the comments about restaurants and bars which forced him to call the briefing today (it wasn't scheduled). (please limit your TV time to your daily briefings)

Daycare is next up. He all but said it yesterday and repeated it today.

.....and there's more to come besides that.

I figure almost all retail (sans grocery stores and gas stations) will happen soon.

Then he should say that. You can't be deceptive and expect people to trust you.

Having watched Governor DeWines announcements I have not seen anything deceptive?
He pretty much has stated from the beginning this was a very unique fluid situation changing daily and when he closed schools till April 3rd he said prepare to be out till April 30th. (Most schools are out until April 13th already). His verbiage has now changed to prepare to be out for the rest of the year.
Now with additional closures of eating and entertainment the writing on the wall is there is going to be additional closinging and extension of no contact limits. When School districts do return sports is not going to be a priority anyhow. OHSAA has wishful thinking and I guess they need to stay positive but their communication still has athletes and parents still thinking winter tournaments are going to start back up...

He has said that many times. He has said in his press conferences (my wife and I have watched them all) that the earlier moves are the larger moves (the precautions that have been taken so far), and each day could be additional, smaller, more targeted moves.

He can't say it all at once. (he needs to limit his comments to official briefings and not the Network TV News Tour)

The initial hysteria (hoarding of TP) is proof of that.

Then we have this little thing called the financial markets. (watch what happens in 2 minutes)

As much as I hate that you say that, you are correct. Unfortunately my son had some D1 coaches coming down to watch him pitch this spring. He is senior. He is looking at no prom(s) and maybe no graduation ceremony either. I hope they turn off the season soon. His club team has already reached out with some coaching/practicing ideas and plans to start once the high school season is terminated. I really hope this is all worth it. (And when I mean all I mean the economic consequence.) If this lasts more than 3 weeks, our economy will not recover for years. The world economy may never recover.

Little League just delayed the start of their season until at least May 11th. That is an 8 week break that the CDC recommended. It will be interesting to see where things stand at that time. It wouldn't surprise me if they allow some things to start back up but still limit the crowds.

As of now, we're voting tomorrow. The judge denied the request to postpone the elections.
Now seeing news that Dr. Acton has ordered the polls closed as a health emergency. No idea which side is going to win this skirmish by the time the polls are due to open in the morning.

As much as I hate that you say that, you are correct. Unfortunately my son had some D1 coaches coming down to watch him pitch this spring. He is senior. He is looking at no prom(s) and maybe no graduation ceremony either. I hope they turn off the season soon. His club team has already reached out with some coaching/practicing ideas and plans to start once the high school season is terminated. I really hope this is all worth it. (And when I mean all I mean the economic consequence.) If this lasts more than 3 weeks, our economy will not recover for years. The world economy may never recover.
Is it normal for D1 coaches to be looking at seniors in the Spring? Thought most D1 programs would completed their 2020 recruiting well before now. Must be one awesome player since it is "some D1 coaches", which indicates more than one. Surprised he wasn't committed this past Summer, when the recruiting is hot and heavy.

Is it normal for D1 coaches to be looking at seniors in the Spring? Thought most D1 programs would completed their 2020 recruiting well before now. Must be one awesome player since it is "some D1 coaches", which indicates more than one. Surprised he wasn't committed this past Summer, when the recruiting is hot and heavy.
He is a pitcher that throws hard. Pitching is always in demand. Guys get picked up after their senior year during the summer. Things may be changing because of the additional year of eligibility.

Typically, yes.

Most college programs have thrown in the towel for this season, so coaches would be available to watch unsigned seniors in their delayed HS season, if such a thing occured. If I was a talented junior, though, I'd ask my HS coach to release me as soon as summer games began if I played on a team signed up for top tournaments. When those events begin, no college coaches are likely to be watching an extended season HS game unless it is down the street on a Tuesday afternoon.

Typically, yes.

Most college programs have thrown in the towel for this season, so coaches would be available to watch unsigned seniors in their delayed HS season, if such a thing occured. If I was a talented junior, though, I'd ask my HS coach to release me as soon as summer games began if I played on a team signed up for top tournaments. When those events begin, no college coaches are likely to be watching an extended season HS game unless it is down the street on a Tuesday afternoon.
If there is a high school season, I can't imagine OHSAA would push tournament dates any farther into the summer than they already are. Players wouldn't need to choose between high school and summer teams. I think schools would favor a short baseball season compared to extending it into July or beyond and potentially conflicting with football.

If there is a high school season, I can't imagine OHSAA would push tournament dates any farther into the summer than they already are. Players wouldn't need to choose between high school and summer teams. I think schools would favor a short baseball season compared to extending it into July or beyond and potentially conflicting with football.
Heck, the stupid OHSAA has caved so fully to football that they may as well just start football practices as soon as the Wuhan Corona scare subsides.

There is not a chance that money would enter into the equation with regard to spring sports being played or not. The OHSAA is about the student-athletes. Always and forever.
now in this case, Ill buy what you are selling.
But to say OHSAA is about the student athlete. Not a chance. It is about money. Playoff football games. Tickets are $10. $9 goes to OHSAA. lets say 3000 fans x $9 = 27000. Officials do not cost that much. Take that times every playoff game in the state.
But at the end of the year, they limit the amount of rings they will buy for the champion team. I believe it is 40 rings. Im sure they can afford it

But at the end of the year, they limit the amount of rings they will buy for the champion team. I believe it is 40 rings. Im sure they can afford it
OHSAA buys the rings for football champions? They did not buy the rings for the baseball champions.

OHSAA buys the rings for football champions? They did not buy the rings for the baseball champions.
I'm not 100% sure but I dont think the ohsaa buys rings. I know in my day we had to get sponsors to donate money. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I'm right.