Will The Minerva Lions ROAR in 2020!!!!

The Infidel

Will the Lions finally put it all together and ROAR in 2020!? New decade, new program, No 0-40 BS, solid experience back from last year. Chance Martineau is a good back along with Speedster Garrison Markins. Can’t forget about the Common boy too. People have criticized the Wing T but I think with all these backs and having a Costea at QB with multiple years of experience I think something is brewing off Almeda Ave! Let’s get it started baby!!!

Sadly I think they aren't done, but nothing like they were. The 0-40 changed the mentality. It will take a while to get it back. Hope they do.

2019 Record 1-9. Minerva stopped the streak with a 30-20 win over West Branch in week 5. The final five weeks were all lopsided losses to River View (28-0), Marlington (56-7), Salem (42-13), Alliance (55-21) and Carrollton (28-7). I don't really feel 2019 was much different than the previous four years. No improvement was made in the passing game, and the running game is by committee with no real stud. I think 3-7 in 2020 would be an incredible achievement.

Will the Lions finally put it all together and ROAR in 2020!? New decade, new program, No 0-40 BS, solid experience back from last year. Chance Martineau is a good back along with Speedster Garrison Markins. Can’t forget about the Common boy too. People have criticized the Wing T but I think with all these backs and having a Costea at QB with multiple years of experience I think something is brewing off Almeda Ave! Let’s get it started baby!!!
The answer to this is we need to get numbers up, first and foremost. Then change the offensive scheme. I don’t care what anyone says Wing T or Veer offense is not fitting in any form. I like the triple option better. At this point we need to continue with culture change and also consider either changing conferences or taking our 4 OOC games and making them very winnable, honestly I would rather change conferences. 2020 will be interesting but if we don’t mix it up more and get complex with discipline in some form we will easily be 1-9 or 0-10 again next year. I never liked the one game win goal hype. They won a game then quit and that fell on the HC. Need more aggressiveness on Defense too. Need to learn how to hit and make tackles with grit. We have the athlete’s and talent, just need to put the formula together as a program to WIN!!

Hate to say it, but I don t see it being their year to "ROAR". Congrats on finally winning a game but I foresee a 0 to 2 win season next year for the Lions. Hope I am wrong.

The answer to this is we need to get numbers up, first and foremost. Then change the offensive scheme. I don’t care what anyone says Wing T or Veer offense is not fitting in any form. I like the triple option better. At this point we need to continue with culture change and also consider either changing conferences or taking our 4 OOC games and making them very winnable, honestly I would rather change conferences. 2020 will be interesting but if we don’t mix it up more and get complex with discipline in some form we will easily be 1-9 or 0-10 again next year. I never liked the one game win goal hype. They won a game then quit and that fell on the HC. Need more aggressiveness on Defense too. Need to learn how to hit and make tackles with grit. We have the athlete’s and talent, just need to put the formula together as a program to WIN!!
Could you explain to me why you prefer the triple option over the veer? There must be some subtle differences I’m missing because when I watch the boys play some ball these are identical concepts?

The Lions have some really good football players, but do they have enough. Jarrett Burress is a 6'2" 285 lb Jr lineman that is an extremely good lineman on both sides of the ball, rumor is the kid benches over 400 lbs. Logan Williams is a very good 230 lb offensive guard and Linebacker, he is a very good athlete. Both of them are very good wrestlers. Jimmy Common is a 205 lb running back and linebacker and played very well in both spots (he runs hard). These 3 kids live in the weight room and expect all 3 to be bigger, stronger and faster next year. Garrison Markins and Chance Martineau, along with Common, are as fast as anyone they play.

The key for the Lions will be developing the other kids, especially linemen. Hanley and Hurst both are 250-260 lb kids that started and can develop as very good linemen. Levi Monter is a 280lb freshman that has a lot potential. Will Benedict is another 250 lb freshman that played on Fridays late in the year. The O-Line could be the biggest we had here in along time.

There were of sophomores that played on Friday nights the probably weren't ready but hopefully the experience will help them. They Lions should have mostly Seniors and Juniors in the lineup next year. If they dedicate themselves to the off season program 2020 can be a pretty good year. I don't foresee a league championship but they will not be a pushover either.
2019 Record 1-9. Minerva stopped the streak with a 30-20 win over West Branch in week 5. The final five weeks were all lopsided losses to River View (28-0), Marlington (56-7), Salem (42-13), Alliance (55-21) and Carrollton (28-7). I don't really feel 2019 was much different than the previous four years. No improvement was made in the passing game, and the running game is by committee with no real stud. I think 3-7 in 2020 would be an incredible achievement.

Good points. I really think it starts with the line and depth. I think we had a back that could have been that stud (Common) but with basically a 22 man roster its hard to give 1 kid 20 carries. The one time he got more than 15 carries he had about 180 yards and a win. Also, the passing game needs a lot of work in all aspects. As a diehard Lions fan i think 3-7 is a good starting point but i think they can get 5 or 6.

What is the current schedule for 2020?

PS. You do realize “The Veer” Inside and Outside Veer along with Midline are the fundamental plays of the Triple Option right? LOL

I agree with you about the Wing T, but with the RB’s Minerva has at their disposal I think it’s the best way for Minerva to succeed. Look no further than Perry. They had two elite RB’s and ran literally 4-5 basic plays.

The wing T works if your coaches know how to coach it and demand discipline. Doesn’t take a bunch of talent to be good at it but what it does take is a bunch of tough kids and a good strength and conditioning program. St Mary’s and wapak run the wing T to perfection and look at there records over the past 5-7 years.

What is the current schedule for 2020?

PS. You do realize “The Veer” Inside and Outside Veer along with Midline are the fundamental plays of the Triple Option right? LOL

I agree with you about the Wing T, but with the RB’s Minerva has at their disposal I think it’s the best way for Minerva to succeed. Look no further than Perry. They had two elite RB’s and ran literally 4-5 basic plays.

great points.

The wing T works if your coaches know how to coach it and demand discipline. Doesn’t take a bunch of talent to be good at it but what it does take is a bunch of tough kids and a good strength and conditioning program. St Mary’s and wapak run the wing T to perfection and look at there records over the past 5-7 years.
you hit the nail on the head - good strength and conditioning is the key and I did see a difference this season. I really don't think the offense is going to be a problem in 2020. Defense disappeared from Minerva about 6 years ago and hasn't come back yet. In order for the "Lions to Roar" again the defense needs to be a focal point. Gave up way too many big plays in 2019 because other team were still physically superior. Hopefully the Lions close that gap but getting serious about the off season training program. Again, there 5 or 6 are good core football players. The others need to step up and we need a bigger roster..,

I have to think Alliance is going to run away with the EBC. I heard the schedule flipped next year so Minerva will get Alliance and Marlington early in the season. I think that will help by getting through that part of the schedule early.

i did start at 2020 EBC thread somewhere, would like to see what other EBC teams have coming back.

How many Lions are playing Basketball and Wrestling this winter? Offseason weight lifting should start ASAP. If Hundley is worth a damn he will have those Lions busting their tails

How many Lions are playing Basketball and Wrestling this winter? Offseason weight lifting should start ASAP. If Hundley is worth a damn he will have those Lions busting their tails

I know that few kids stopped playing basketball and a handful of kids wrestle (and do so extremely well).. I heard that Hundley's strength program is very good, not only in the off season but during the season as well. He actually teaches a strength and conditioning class during school. the workout for the team will begin as soon as the OHSAA allows it. I was told that his workouts are intense and he also has a nutrition plan. I personally saw some improvements in that area already. So hopefully the team will be physically better once he has an entire year under his belt.

I hope to see continued growth. Not having the weight of the losing streak should help. Is there optimism that their numbers will increase?

I know a lot of kids say that they are playing again but you know how that goes. The Lions have to have more than 22 kids in grades 10-12 like they did the last 2 years. If everyone comes back there will be 31 on the roster (not including freshmen) with 16 seniors in 2020. The rumor is 5 or 6 sophomores are playing as juniors next year. I would be nice to the roster up to 40 so we can play a full freshmen and JV schedule in 2020..

The key for Lions- not matter how many kids are on the roster they must fall in love with the weight room and get bigger, stronger and faster.. As a whole the opposing teams also seem to have physical advantage over the last 5 years, Coach Hundley has to put that to an end..

I know coach hundley ran the same offensive system at Jerome so its no surprise he's sticking to it. As far as the one game one win mentality i'm not sure why thats even a thing to preach to the kids

I know coach hundley ran the same offensive system at Jerome so its no surprise he's sticking to it. As far as the one game one win mentality i'm not sure why thats even a thing to preach to the kids
Hundley doesn't preach that to the kids. The win at West Branch was very special but the kids and coaches had bigger expectations so as far as wins and losses, the 1 win season was disappointing. But as far as discipline, work ethic and just being in more games it was a promising season. The fact that they are losing only 2 seniors starters is encouraging. I personally saw progress and expect to see a solid team in 2020.. I said it a few times, there are some very good football players coming bank and this off season is crucial for other kids to step up and morph into football players.

Hundley doesn't preach that to the kids. The win at West Branch was very special but the kids and coaches had bigger expectations so as far as wins and losses, the 1 win season was disappointing. But as far as discipline, work ethic and just being in more games it was a promising season. The fact that they are losing only 2 seniors starters is encouraging. I personally saw progress and expect to see a solid team in 2020.. I said it a few times, there are some very good football players coming bank and this off season is crucial for other kids to step up and morph into football players.

Sounds like a good base coming back, I expect a good season. My worry with Hundley is that he struggles to maximize the potential out of his teams, the good thing though is that he knows how to develop character.

Minerva just needs to get numbers back out. I think that’s what hurt them against Carrollton and couple other “winnable” games. From getting blown out in scrimmages to D7 East Canton to beating west Branch anyone with half a brain can see the coaching impact he’s made.

What I didn’t understand is the change in philosophy against the Dukes in the first half. Minerva also needs to be more sound on defense and I’m telling you they can win some games next year. The three backs Markins, Common, Martineau are all good players

Last edited:
Could you explain to me why you prefer the triple option over the veer? There must be some subtle differences I’m missing because when I watch the boys play some ball these are identical concepts?
Lion 86 for Minerva OC!!!

in reality, I am sure the coaches are running the offense they think best fits their personnel. I don't think most coaches try to fit the player in a scheme, they fit the scheme to their players.

CaptainA I also quoted you here because you made a valid point!

Minerva just needs to get numbers back out. I think that’s what hurt them against Carrollton and couple other “winnable” games. From getting blown out in scrimmages to D7 East Canton to beating west Branch anyone with half a brain can see the coaching impact he’s made.

What I didn’t understand is the change in philosophy against the Dukes in the first half. Minerva also needs to be more sound on defense and I’m telling you they can win some games next year. The three backs Markins, Common, Martineau are all good players
You are exactly right, the program made progress. If the Lions can add depth and help 2 extremely good returning linemen, Burress and Williams, they have the potential to be a very good team. But building quality depth is so important and something the Lions haven't had in years. Now is when Coach Hundley starts earning his money. Off season training is huge for Minerva. I think the entire EBC will be better in 2020 we they have some ground to gain.. I really think Minerva will make a big jump in 2020. I am NOT saying league champions or playoffs, but the Lions can be much more competitive next year. It's going to be interesting to hear hare the boys progress in the off season..

You are exactly right, the program made progress. If the Lions can add depth and help 2 extremely good returning linemen, Burress and Williams, they have the potential to be a very good team. But building quality depth is so important and something the Lions haven't had in years. Now is when Coach Hundley starts earning his money. Off season training is huge for Minerva. I think the entire EBC will be better in 2020 we they have some ground to gain.. I really think Minerva will make a big jump in 2020. I am NOT saying league champions or playoffs, but the Lions can be much more competitive next year. It's going to be interesting to hear hare the boys progress in the off season..

Knowing Hundleys past, I think developing depth will fall more on the assistants, especially the strength staff