Will the 2020 Season Be Played This Year?

Will the 2020 Season Be Played This Year?

• Yes - complete season with no interuptions

Votes: 96 39.3%
  • Yes - but there will be games missed due to local Coronavirus issues

Votes: 33 13.5%
  • Yes - season will start late but we will finish it playing fewer games than normal

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • No - season will start but get interrupted and cancelled

Votes: 33 13.5%
  • No - season will be completely cancelled

Votes: 52 21.3%
  • Other - post below

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

This is not a positive sign.

All the folks on this board preaching the importance of football can sign up to be officials

To be fair GLAT this is about more then football. It's about extracurricular activities in general. And IMO there is no doubt they are beneficial.

But as others have noted maybe its time to change the education paradigm with respect to extracurricular activities. When kids are in elementary school their artistic, musical & athletic activities are handled outside the school system through private clubs and operations. Why not go back to that? Focus Junior and Senior High School on education.

These private groups would have much more flexibility in managing risk. I could see them even drawing paying crowds to watch a game or a concert or a dance recital. Especially if they're community based.

I thought the same thing when I saw the news. Ohio State announced that any class greater than 100 students will be held online. I am sure other schools are considering the same thing. If that is the case how do you bring 85-100 guys together for football?

Bowdoin (a DIII) school cancelled the fall sports season. Money is driving the big Power 5 schools but if you program loses money whats the reason for playing?

What was the reasoning? They were all very vague other than some statement on heat?

I thought the same thing when I saw the news. Ohio State announced that any class greater than 100 students will be held online. I am sure other schools are considering the same thing. If that is the case how do you bring 85-100 guys together for football?

Bowdoin (a DIII) school cancelled the fall sports season. Money is driving the big Power 5 schools but if you program loses money whats the reason for playing?
University of Akron is switching to the blended learning for most classes.

Bowdoin is hardly a bellwether for how fall sports will go across the nation. There are many high schools in Ohio that have higher attendance than most D3 programs.

Very easy for schools that lose money on football to decide not to play football.

Bowdoin is hardly a bellwether for how fall sports will go across the nation. There are many high schools in Ohio that have higher attendance than most D3 programs.
Im not suggesting they are a bellweather, just pointing out they are one of the first of what I believe will be many schools making a similar decsion. The money at the Power 5 level (even if most schools still operate in the red) will provide them the incentive to find a way to play. But I think DII, DIII and even some DI will pull the plug on fall sports

Im not suggesting they are a bellweather, just pointing out they are one of the first of what I believe will be many schools making a similar decsion. The money at the Power 5 level (even if most schools still operate in the red) will provide them the incentive to find a way to play. But I think DII, DIII and even some DI will pull the plug on fall sports
Some will conviently use covid to cut costs for athletic programs that consistently run in the red, yes. Especially when they have other unusual budget issues tied to covid. I don't think this is the breaking news you believe it to be.

I don’t disagree with this, but I’d be more personally convinced if John Carroll or Wittenberg canned football this upcoming season. Bowdoin? Eeeeehhhh they probably do just fine without football.

I don’t disagree with this, but I’d be more personally convinced if John Carroll or Wittenberg canned football this upcoming season. Bowdoin? Eeeeehhhh they probably do just fine without football.

Dont underestimate the 80+ students the football teams bring to D3 schools. That is a big deal. Same with the 30 man basketball rosters in D3. That is not a number if removed from these small schools that would go unnoticed.

Add the College of New Jersey and Morehouse cancelling fall FB to Bowdion. Both Ivy and Patriot Leagues under discussion for playing or not playing this fall.

D-III Williams College announces cancellation of fall sports.

Dartmouth College announces only half student body can return for fall classes. Others online. No FB decision as discussion is underway for possible spring FB season, possible cancellation in fall.

Dartmouth College announces only half student body can return for fall classes. Others online. No FB decision as discussion is underway for possible spring FB season, possible cancellation in fall.
See earlier comments about D3 schools.

This is good news:

School kids don’t appear to transmit the new coronavirus to peers or teachers, a French study found, weighing in on the crucial topic of children’s role in propagating Covid-19.

The whole NESCAC will end up skipping the season. It's not surprising. These places are ultra liberal and sports aren't extremely high on the priority list. It would just be easier to shut down than deal with the hassle. Same with the Ivies but they would be more resistant to shutting down because they actually make money from T.V. contracts. And before I get called any names I am not political in the least, just calling it as it is.

This is good news:

School kids don’t appear to transmit the new coronavirus to peers or teachers, a French study found, weighing in on the crucial topic of children’s role in propagating Covid-19.

Those were primary school students. The high school in that town had an outbreak among students, teachers and staff.

Last edited:
Those were primary school students. The high school in that town had an outbreak among students, teachers and staff. A 60-year-old teacher died.

Do you have a link? I would love to see the details.

Of course the longer we keep the schools closed the greater the collateral damage. And I suspect that the damage has already passed what the covid would have done. Keep the schools closed or at best only reopen them part time with no extracurricular activities and the long term damage will be profound.

Do you have a link? I would love to see the details.

Of course the longer we keep the schools closed the greater the collateral damage. And I suspect that the damage has already passed what the covid would have done. Keep the schools closed or at best only reopen them part time with no extracurricular activities and the long term damage will be profound.
Most of the rest of the world calls it primary and secondary schools. What most in the US call elementary and high school. Cutoff is a bit different for ages but it's generally like that. Canada, oddly, uses both names, high school and secondary school. Depending on province, location and which grades are the cutoff.

Thanks. Though the article didn't conclude that the 60 year old who died was infected by a high school student. The teacher may have contracted the virus anywhere. Also this study wasn't designed to look at covid transmission dynamics. It was a survey study designed to determine infection rates as a way to assess community immunity.

The primary takeaway that herd immunity had not been achieved in the community or school was important but didn't address transmission dynamics.

Institut Pasteur, along with other public health agencies recruited students, teachers, non-teaching staff, parents and siblings of students for the study.

The high school used in the study was in Crépy-en Valois, the same town where a 60-year-old teacher was diagnosed with coronavirus in late February, before dying.

Among the 661 participants, the study found that only 171 were diagnosed as positive – 25.9 percent.

The students, teachers and non-teaching staff of the school, tested at a higher rate of 40.9 percent compared to only 10.9 percent of parents and siblings.