Will the 2020 Season Be Played This Year?

Will the 2020 Season Be Played This Year?

• Yes - complete season with no interuptions

Votes: 96 39.3%
  • Yes - but there will be games missed due to local Coronavirus issues

Votes: 33 13.5%
  • Yes - season will start late but we will finish it playing fewer games than normal

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • No - season will start but get interrupted and cancelled

Votes: 33 13.5%
  • No - season will be completely cancelled

Votes: 52 21.3%
  • Other - post below

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Had a thread about this a couple months ago. Curious what everyone's opinions are now with the Summer starting soon...

Unless we see a tremendous spike in numbers there will be fall sports. If Kings Island and Cedar Point can open in July, we will have high school sports the following month.

Unless we see a tremendous spike in numbers there will be fall sports. If Kings Island and Cedar Point can open in July, we will have high school sports the following month.
They’re not opening up under the same safety protocols in place for visitors as they would have in their previous years. Mandated masks, distancing etc. So, I’m not sure how relevant that is to this topic.

A band director told me that if the season was to start today the games would be played with no fans. I think this is his school's plan based on advice from doctors from a prominent hospital.

A band director told me that if the season was to start today the games would be played with no fans. I think this is his school's plan based on advice from doctors from a prominent hospital.
I think that there will be at lest the parents of the players in the stands. There really wouldn't be ay reason there couldn't be. Social distancing measures could be met at most places. Personally I believe it will be mostly all clear by the time the season starts.

I think that there will be at lest the parents of the players in the stands. There really wouldn't be ay reason there couldn't be. Social distancing measures could be met at most places. Personally I believe it will be mostly all clear by the time the season starts.
If the season started right now they’d probably let parents in the stands.

I think we’d be well served to just be patient for the next month and a half and wait to make any decisions until at least the end of July.

Yes, this season will 1000% be played. Full stop. Recent weeks' data have shown that prolonged lockdowns were nowhere near necessary, and if football will be played at NFL and college levels with significant numbers in stadiums (as is the plan), then it can certainly happen at the local level.

So we can have protests, and riots of thousands of people, with no social distancing, but they won't let people in the stands to watch high school football games?

Maybe we can protest at football games to assure everyone who wants in can get in.

The criminal MSM is starting the round two propaganda! Watch out 2020 fall sports!

Spineless Jerry Snodgrass does whatever he's told by his lying government, people. I continue to say, winter sports 2020 are in jeopardy.

Maybe we can protest at football games to assure everyone who wants in can get in.
Not a bad idea. Have thousands of fans outside the gate protest in the parking lots, and with signs that say HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL FANS MATTER

Greetings from the Palmetto State

Early May - businesses begin to re-open slowly
Memorial Day Weekend - Myrtle Beach was PACKED all weekend
Late May - public water parks given the green light to open at limited capacity
Early June - public water parks given green light to open at FULL capacity
Early June - South Carolina High School League allows members schools to decide for themselves when to open up campus facilities for athletics under NFHS guidelines
Tuesday, June 9th - Greenville County School District (largest in the state / 80,000 students) makes decision to start sports under NFHS guidelines on June 15th
Wednesday, June 10th - City of Greenville and Greenville County receive HOT SPOT designation from CDC, DHEC, additional health governing bodies
Thursday, June 11th - Mayor of Greenville has press briefing (watching right now) with health officials and says if numbers don't go down then the CITY (not the county nor metro area) will need to be shut down again.

We (fall sports head coaches at my school) met with our AD yesterday after he had his district AD's meeting on Tuesday. Two BIG questions were asked. Is following all these guidelines really worth it??? Are we going to get our fall sports athletes ready over the next 6 weeks for a season that never happens???

District general counsel gave every AD a covid waver for kids to sign prior to actually taking part in work outs. HOWEVER, sports physicals which normally become null and void from the previous school around June 1st are being granted an extension until August 1st.

Not a bad idea. Have thousands of fans outside the gate protest in the parking lots, and with signs that say HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL FANS MATTER

Actually, there was a car race in North Carolina last week where the governor said they could only have 25 fans. So they posted a sign that said PROTEST FOR EQUALITY AND LIBERTY and let in 2500 people.

I think before we ask if there will be a 2020 fall season, we need to ask when will contact be allowed in practices. I have not heard anything yet as far as a time line goes for when contact will be allowed, heck football cant even throw the ball at their skills training in our district. I would hate to see the product put on the field if football goes from you cant touch anyone(stay 6 feet away) to play games. maybe someone on here is a little more in the know about when contact would be allowed at practices.

I want it to happen so bad. But I give it 0% chance. Too many things must be in place and then if even 1 athlete or coach gets corona, it's quarenteen, contact trace, contact future teams, etc., etc., etc.... And the biggest reason is that there is no way to social distance in football. Contact and social distancing: it CAN NOT be done. 0%. So rules would have to change. Now with that being said, I am just expressing what I believe. I also will respect what others believe and leave it at that. But I also KNOW that we ALL want the same thing. They may decide to start, then have to stop. They may not start at all. But if it rears it's ugly head at schools or to a player, it's all over. But I TRULY hope they start on time and get all 15 weeks in. (MAYBE a waiver would be the ONLY way to attempt to pull this off). I'm trying to think positively about it.

Last edited:
I think the next two weeks will tell us alot. With all the protests and riots the last two weeks, if there is not a significant increase in cases, hospitalizations, ICU admissions, and/or deaths, most will start to see the US out of the pandemic. Based on prior projections, we should have a major spike, not just a minor bump that is nothing more than variability.

I think the next two weeks will tell us alot. With all the protests and riots the last two weeks, if there is not a significant increase in cases, hospitalizations, ICU admissions, and/or deaths, most will start to see the US out of the pandemic. Based on prior projections, we should have a major spike, not just a minor bump that is nothing more than variability.
Plus 4th of July to get through as well. So 2 weeks after that I think too.

Kids are and have been gathering in groups, now participating in summer league baseball and organized team workouts for fall sports, and are a known low risk group. Their parents and adult relatives (the people that would be making up the group of individuals attending sporting events) are almost entirely all back to work and congregating together. Where is the logic in even strongly considering not allowing kids to go back to school in the fall and for sports to resume WITH fans in attendance? Everyone is well aware of the “risks” involved and can make their own decisions on wether to attend or not.

Kids are and have been gathering in groups, now participating in summer league baseball and organized team workouts for fall sports, and are a known low risk group. Their parents and adult relatives (the people that would be making up the group of individuals attending sporting events) are almost entirely all back to work and congregating together. Where is the logic in even strongly considering not allowing kids to go back to school in the fall and for sports to resume WITH fans in attendance? Everyone is well aware of the “risks” involved and can make their own decisions on wether to attend or not.
Drove by a little league field yesterday and 2 teams were playing and there were probably 50 people sitting in the bleachers and in lawn chairs.

Contact football is a whole different animal than summer baseball. Just saying. Lol.

Recently COVID-19 just mutated and is indicating a possiblity of weakening get ready for this season see you in august