Will the 2020 Season Be Played This Year?

Will the 2020 Season Be Played This Year?

• Yes - complete season with no interuptions

Votes: 96 39.3%
  • Yes - but there will be games missed due to local Coronavirus issues

Votes: 33 13.5%
  • Yes - season will start late but we will finish it playing fewer games than normal

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • No - season will start but get interrupted and cancelled

Votes: 33 13.5%
  • No - season will be completely cancelled

Votes: 52 21.3%
  • Other - post below

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
why didn’t the country shut down for this car crash pandemic then...why don’t schools not allow kids to drive and mandate taking the bus....COVID-19 is a lil different

Great questions!

But the real question is why are we responding to the threat of covid19 in a way completely different to how we responded to threats of a similar or even greater magnitude. Seems like we had a general societal agreement on how we would balance risk/benefit ratios. But that cultural consensus fell apart the moment covid19 came along. I wonder why that is?

I can't help but think back to 2001 when terrorists murdered all those people in the Twin Towers. The cultural consensus was to kill the terrorists and those that supported them but not do much beyond that. Then Bush and company decided to break that consensus and nation build in Iraq & Afghanistan. How has that worked out for us? I see a similar thing now where the response to covid19 has been over the top with a lot of lies being told to get us to go along.

I believe Bush had our best interests in mind but he screwed up the response. I think the same could be said of those currently in power, particularly in public health departments and in Governors/Mayors offices.

Again it’s not just about the kids..it’s about the teachers and workers at the schools of older age as well as their coaches..

Teachers under 50 and most under 65 will be fine. Those older than that, particularly those with other underlining health issues, may have to take a year or two off from teaching. This is preferable to cancelling all extracurricular activities IMO.

What do people think these kids do when they aren’t at football? Not a lot of social distancing or mask wearing I can tell you that. And I’m sure 35,000 high school football players will be perfectly well behaved all fall without football. More data, declining death rates, another 6-7 weeks before a decision has to be made. They will play.

I’m certainly hoping for a season for all the seniors. But it seems like a second wave is gonna do us in imo. I think our governor would pull the trigger quick on closing certain parts of society again.

It is sad. But that is what covid does. It may kill, it may result in other consequences. Hence the post about these 2 kids. I'm sure there are more than those 2 cases. Serious virus, not a mild flu.
If may kill. It may not. It might not do anything to you other than make you sick for a couple of weeks. Like other viruses.

That's a great step. I'm glad to see you are practicing social distancing. That deserves an attaboy!! I'm surprised, but proud of you.
Lol. Great step? I have been doing that since March. I do it normally during flu season. Again, staying healthy isn't some great secret.

I know. You do the best you reasonably can but then you just have to roll the dice at some point.
Right I try not to spread anything to anyone else and I try not to be infected but I have a 2 1/2 year old grandson and he loves me. I stayed away from him for 10 weeks but with everybody else acting like they have I’m not doing that anymore.

Anyone want to try and guess when Fall Sports are officially cancelled? My guess is July 10th. Friday afternoon so it gives OHSAA the weekend to figure out a response.

Teachers under 50 and most under 65 will be fine. Those older than that, particularly those with other underlining health issues, may have to take a year or two off from teaching. This is preferable to cancelling all extracurricular activities IMO.
Optimistically it will only be a year or two.

What percentage of teachers can afford to go a year or two without a paycheck?

I do think there will be some older teachers who retire rather than go back to work. Teachers take a financial hit if they retire during the summer. That might be better than the daily fear of dying, but they will lose some money.

Last edited:
I wish some of you would examine the bigger picture and understand the importance of the vaccine. So we miss out on a football season or two, and have to forgo some superfluous activities in the meantime. It will all be worth it. Just imagine what life will be like in the future once the much anticipated vaccine will be administered to us all. Here is a glimpse:

Welcome to the future. Columbus, Oh, 2720, and I'm telling you it's great here. The air is clean. The water's clean. Even the dirt is clean. Bowling averages are way up. Mini-golf scores are way down. And we have more excellent water slides than any other planet we communicate with. I'm telling you this place is great. But it almost wasn't. You see, 700 years ago, the two great ones, Mike Dewine and Amy Acton, ran into a few problems. So now I have to travel back in time to help them out. If I should fail to keep these two on the correct path, the basis of our society will be in danger.

I wish some of you would examine the bigger picture and understand the importance of the vaccine. So we miss out on a football season or two, and have to forgo some superfluous activities in the meantime. It will all be worth it. Just imagine what life will be like in the future once the much anticipated vaccine will be administered to us all. Here is a glimpse:

Welcome to the future. Columbus, Oh, 2720, and I'm telling you it's great here. The air is clean. The water's clean. Even the dirt is clean. Bowling averages are way up. Mini-golf scores are way down. And we have more excellent water slides than any other planet we communicate with. I'm telling you this place is great. But it almost wasn't. You see, 700 years ago, the two great ones, Mike Dewine and Amy Acton, ran into a few problems. So now I have to travel back in time to help them out. If I should fail to keep these two on the correct path, the basis of our society will be in danger.
Are you stewie griffith or bill and ted?

Again it’s not just about the kids..it’s about the teachers and workers at the schools of older age as well as their coaches..

And they have a choice to work or not. Just like I have choice to do my job, I assume you do too, just like everyone else. If they feel they are at risk and are not safe then that is on them and that SHOULD NOT be put on the kids. And before remote learning gets brought up, it was/is an unequivocal and unacceptable failure.

Because they can't sell you a vaccine for car crashes.
That's just it. They could not allow kids to drive but the powers that be said the risk is acceptable. We lose like 500k people each year due to smoking that could be prevented but that is acceptable too.

That's just it. They could not allow kids to drive but the powers that be said the risk is acceptable. We lose like 500k people each year due to smoking that could be prevented but that is acceptable too.
With our freedoms we also have risks.
We allow hundreds of thousands of babies to get aborted each year, but that is ok to alot of people...

With our freedoms we also have risks.
We allow hundreds of thousands of babies to get aborted each year, but that is ok to alot of people...
Yea, I left the abortions out on purpose so this thread wouldn't get locked down but you're right.

What do people think these kids do when they aren’t at football? Not a lot of social distancing or mask wearing I can tell you that. And I’m sure 35,000 high school football players will be perfectly well behaved all fall without football. More data, declining death rates, another 6-7 weeks before a decision has to be made. They will play.

This is one example of a long list of repercussions to not having extracurricular activities that those making the decision will ignore. From the moment they decided to shut down the country in response to covid19 there has been a single minded focus on the virus to the exclusion of every other factor.

I'm not as confident as you that we'll have football or any extracurricular activities this fall. My reasoning is that the bureaucrats in charge know that the safest path forward for THEM is to cancel. That's a powerful incentive not to reopen.

I truly believe that given what we know today and considering ALL the factors impacting whether to close back down or to keep reopening that the path leading to the least damage is to reopen as much as possible. But considering the current MSM meltdown that's unlikely to happen.

Optimistically it will only be a year or two.

What percentage of teachers can afford to go a year or two without a paycheck?

I do think there will be some older teachers who retire rather than go back to work. Teachers take a financial hit if they retire during the summer. That might be better than the daily fear of dying, but they will lose some money.

I suspect that between early retirement and districts finding alternative work for the teachers to do that doesn't involve close contact with students - most schools will still have to handle remote teaching for those kids in quarantine, only a small # of teachers will be financially impacted.

I appreciate the sarcasm and I would add that in the future our great/great/great grandchildren will be tearing down the Acton & DeWine statues as the historical truth of the great covid pandemic is revealed to them.

Again this morning I awoke to the shrill screams of the MSM noting that cases are shooting up and the end of the world is near. So being a science & numbers nerd I looked at the data again. It's clear that the media is ignoring the biggest covid story out there - which is the significant drop in deaths - to focus on the less important jump in cases.

When the reopening started in early May and then around Memorial Day the protest/riots put a million Americans out in the streets and in close proximity there have been two questions:

1) The first was easy - how big would the jump in new cases be after these two events. EVERYONE expected cases to go up, how could they not. The only question was by how much.

2) The 2nd question was the critical one and the real unknown - how many more people would die because of all the extra cases brought about by the reopening & protests/riots?

The answer was as unexpected as it was good news:

May 31 - June 6: 7 day average # of US deaths per day = 912

June 21 - June 27: 7 day average # of US deaths per day = 594

So here we are 7 weeks after the reopening began and 4 weeks after the protests/riots shattered the concept of social distancing and deaths have been dropping like a rock. This is in spite of a big jump in cases. This is great news yet do they even talk about it?

And this is the kind of data that should give the powers that be confidence that the right thing to do in August is to open the schools back up completely, including extracurricular activities.

Devils advocate to “Death Count Matters”, if that is the real statistic that matters, why are even states with Republican Governors reversing reopening decisions which in turn cripples their state economy?

Why is Europe banning American Travelers and NE US banning the rest of the country from heading there unless of a 14 day quarantine.

I just think we don’t know enough and for the 120th time admins at all levels will proceed with caution and only worry about CYA. Which in turn means a major change to specifically sports and entertainment this Fall.

I have said it before and I will say it again; high school football (as well as the other sports) are 100% happening. While recent data has shown a spike in the number of cases, the numbers no one are really paying attention to are the positives as a percentage of tests, as well as the number of hospitalizations/deaths as a similar percentage. Life involves risk, as has been mentioned here aplenty, and we've learned in recent weeks that the deleterious effects of keeping people locked down FAR exceed what the virus would've done, especially given that its effects on healthy young people are generally minimal.

I haven't been in high school for a while, but if I was, and sports were cancelled (and other activities were restricted), I guarantee myself and many others would be doing things far less constructive; that alone should frighten parents. Also, if sports are cancelled in the fall, there could be significant public backlash that could affect the people pulling the strings (granted, this would apply more if the sports cancelled were pro and college, but you get my drift).

Football, at all levels, is happening this fall. I'd bet my life savings on it. If you want to stay home, that's on you.

I have said it before and I will say it again; high school football (as well as the other sports) are 100% happening. While recent data has shown a spike in the number of cases, the numbers no one are really paying attention to are the positives as a percentage of tests, as well as the number of hospitalizations/deaths as a similar percentage. Life involves risk, as has been mentioned here aplenty, and we've learned in recent weeks that the deleterious effects of keeping people locked down FAR exceed what the virus would've done, especially given that its effects on healthy young people are generally minimal.

I haven't been in high school for a while, but if I was, and sports were cancelled (and other activities were restricted), I guarantee myself and many others would be doing things far less constructive; that alone should frighten parents. Also, if sports are cancelled in the fall, there could be significant public backlash that could affect the people pulling the strings (granted, this would apply more if the sports cancelled were pro and college, but you get my drift).

Football, at all levels, is happening this fall. I'd bet my life savings on it. If you want to stay home, that's on you.

You're certainly being sensible about the situation until the last statement. I wouldn't bet my life savings that some beef-witted government officials will do the right thing.

You're certainly being sensible about the situation until the last statement. I wouldn't bet my life savings that some beef-witted government officials will do the right thing.

Not sure where the earlier post mentioning “7/10” as the date, but I have now heard of three school districts telling their teachers “the plan for Fall” on that date the past week. I think this upcoming week’s numbers will be a heavy determination in everything.

DeWine, our governor, “we don’t want another Florida or Texas situation in our state” just Friday. To me, personally, is hinting we are going to take some steps back as Florida has for the 7/4 weekend. There is way too many uncertainties to have a prediction one way or the other. Our higher ups who actually make the decisions are clueless, and so are we. It’s not looking promising.