Will baseball season be normal again?

Hoping it will be normal again but not real confident. Is suspect they will be able to play the games but there will be extra rules. Probably no out of state trips either.

Maybe no out of town trips but with the summer experience, I expect the season to go off without a hitch.
If the hoops season finishes with no issues there should be NO REASON baseball can start their practices as normal this spring. Sucks for awhile being in doors, but it should work.

Last summer proved just how idiotic it was to cancel the season last spring.

I hope that the high school season will be ok. I'm sure some leagues will be scaled down, and no spring trips in 2021 should be expected.

Interesting that yesterday Dictator DeWine changed the quarantine rules for the Classroom but kept the rules as is for extra curriculars/Sports. He claimed Mask and Distancing are the reasons for the in classroom changes. Not gonna be many Mask on the Baseball Field and Distancing obviously a problem in just about every sport. I’m afraid under this Clown Governor Mask and Distancing will be around at least as long as he is??

Fauci said today that in the New Year they will be going full steam ahead on Vaccinations and Social Distancing. Hopefully be back to normal or close by Fall of 2021?. I don’t know who I can’t stand more, Fauci or Dictator DeWine!

Last edited:
It's not the summer thing I was highlighting, it's the fact that the season can occur this year — and should have occurred last year — with some adjustments.

Believe us, this topic was discussed thoroughly last spring on these boards. They certainly could have had the season especially with the protocols instituted by the summer tourneys and leagues. But you had the OHSAA and the schools rushing to show how safe they were and they were many administrators that were extremely risk averse. Some of those admin types lost their jobs. Some of the "elite" travel teams went to their tourneys down south. Some programs were extremely truncated. I can guarantee you that is not going to happen this Spring. Things will be wide open. Vaccines will be offered and people will be expected to be responsible for themselves. By the end of the summer, things will be some what back to normal.

Better and should happen without a hitch! OHSAA and the state have let Football, baskeetball, and even wrestling continue. All are extremely high contact sports in comparison. No reason baseball cant be played. I would understand no out of town trips, however no reason not to play. What happened last season was ridiculous. Summer ball went off perfectly fine, no reason to mess with high school baseball.

Totally agree, no need to worry about out of town trips (although not quite sure what that means? Out of county? State?) Wrestling teams are going everywhere, including out of state, shouldn’t matter much at all, Play Ball!

when you're talking "out of town" trips in baseball, I presume the conversation is about those week long trips to warm weather climates during a school's spring break week.

I would guess the last thing any school district would want to deal with is their entire team on a spring break trip to play baseball. Many of the small collegiate programs have suspended those trips for the 2021 season. I would think most would just want to get their season underway and play as many games as possible. Last year's group missed an entire season and unlike the college programs they did not get a second chance. Kids work their "rears" off for that senior season. A tough pill to swallow in 2020.

I would guess the last thing any school district would want to deal with is their entire team on a spring break trip to play baseball. Many of the small collegiate programs have suspended those trips for the 2021 season. I would think most would just want to get their season underway and play as many games as possible. Last year's group missed an entire season and unlike the college programs they did not get a second chance. Kids work their "rears" off for that senior season. A tough pill to swallow in 2020.
It was miserable on several levels. Several schools handled it better than others. Badin being one.

That's not an entirely true statement.

Yes, My point was lets play ball locally and in state. My son is a senior this year, lost his junior year for no reason. Typically they have gone "out of town" over spring break 2 seasons ago to Myrtle, season before that was Ft. Lauderdale. No need for that this year. Play in state and get the season in. Bottom line, like I previously said, OHSAA has allowed football, basketball and wrestling, baseball is zero contact in comparison. I dont want to hear "cases are surging" in March and April. No possible way to justify not playing baseball. I feel horrible for last years seniors, and it was unnecessary to cancel last season. I will be interested to see what restrictions OHSAA puts on baseball since it is an outdoor sport regarding spectators. Not sure about a lot of other schools, but my sons school is typically just parents anyways even though they have a good program they do not draw many spectators until the tournament comes around.

Will it not be difficult to put a number on the spectators allowed to watch a HS baseball game? Not too many venues charge admission or are able to monitor the number of people to watch a game.

Will it not be difficult to put a number on the spectators allowed to watch a HS baseball game? Not too many venues charge admission or are able to monitor the number of people to watch a game.
Honestly, by then Biden will have been in office long enough they can credit him for the immense slowdown in cases and not put restrictions on baseball games.

Truth.

My son's college team plays in Tennessee in the third week of February, followed by going to Missouri and then Illinois over the bext two weekends. Tennessee is allowing spectators, the other two states are not. Ohio seems to be on the less strict side with spectators comparably, so I am optimistic that there will be a normal high school season. Besides, lots of room for social distancing down the foul lines.

My kid plays for a JUCO in Illinois. I just hope they start the d#$@ season. Practice has already been delayed. I don't get it at all.

Taylor University(Upland, Ind), an NAIA school, played three games last weekend in Arizona.
My son's program is supposed to open up the middle of February, we shall see.

One of the worst states to currently be in. Restrictions there are awful
My son's school in Michigan has been full go since Fall, except only inter-squad scrimmages in Sept and Oct. First games on Feb 20th. Can tell you one thing, college baseball players have to work their tails off.