Why was "Meaningless Games" shut down?

Talk some sense

4GX got his say (and wow does he write a lot but not read the responses very closely) but now replies are shut down? Should probably either leave it open or remove the thread completely.

4GX got his say (and wow does he write a lot but not read the responses very closely) but now replies are shut down? Should probably either leave it open or remove the thread completely.
Actually read the responses quite closely-- even responded to them, point by point.

Actually read the responses quite closely-- even responded to them, point by point.
Not going to go back over all of your posts. You made some good points about whether games were meaningless or not, then seemed to veer off into convincing people of your view on the virus and it's impact. Debating the virus with all of it's implications is a dark hole and I would guess that not many on either side change their minds, even when presented long lists of opinions and debates about which are the true facts. I'll give you credit for trying though. Have a great day.

BTW, epidemic and pandemic are not interchangeable as when you suggest that pandemic is just more popular for some reason these days. An epidemic is more focused while a pandemic is widespread, so we do indeed have a pandemic on our hands. Root words for the prefixes should give that away.

Reactions: 4GX
Not going to go back over all of your posts. You made some good points about whether games were meaningless or not, then seemed to veer off into convincing people of your view on the virus and it's impact. Debating the virus with all of it's implications is a dark hole and I would guess that not many on either side change their minds, even when presented long lists of opinions and debates about which are the true facts. I'll give you credit for trying though. Have a great day.

BTW, epidemic and pandemic are not interchangeable as when you suggest that pandemic is just more popular for some reason these days. An epidemic is more focused while a pandemic is widespread, so we do indeed have a pandemic on our hands. Root words for the prefixes should give that away.
I understand the difference— I don’t like using the trendier word— so I don‘t; as I noted, those who study both call themselves epidemiologists... a pandemic is composed of one or more epidemics spreading globally (out of control)— it could be argued that the original epidemic (in China— which was ALSO called a pandemic, by some, who like to use the trendier word, even BEFORE it spread to the rest of the world) has been largely confined/controlled/shut down (for now— we will see what this winter brings)— as have several other outbreaks in places like South Korea, Viet Nam, etc.— so, it could be argued that we are no longer dealing with a pandemic, but back to isolated epidemics— in countries that don’t seem able to carry out basic public health good practices (e.g.- the US)— a pity that we are performing much more poorly than many countries that are much more poor than we are (e.g.- Viet Nam)...

In any event, your summary above is spot on— I know that it is probably pointless to try to get people to look at the actual facts of this crisis, when they are willfully choosing to ignore them (in other words, it is not an oversight, it is studious ignorance)— so, the digression was going to be fruitless from the get-go— but the original poster’s contention did not hold water, so I did not regret the digression.

I understand the difference— I don’t like using the trendier word— so I don‘t; as I noted, those who study both call themselves epidemiologists... a pandemic is composed of one or more epidemics spreading globally (out of control)— it could be argued that the original epidemic (in China— which was ALSO called a pandemic, by some, who like to use the trendier word, even BEFORE it spread to the rest of the world) has been largely confined/controlled/shut down (for now— we will see what this winter brings)— as have several other outbreaks in places like South Korea, Viet Nam, etc.— so, it could be argued that we are no longer dealing with a pandemic, but back to isolated epidemics— in countries that don’t seem able to carry out basic public health good practices (e.g.- the US)— a pity that we are performing much more poorly than many countries that are much more poor than we are (e.g.- Viet Nam)...

I would argue that no epidemic is ever totally controlled. There are many factors that go into this. The bottom line is that the media has so abused the word epidemic that they needed to come up with another scare word. They picked pandemic, and it stuck. It also shows that we should just get rid of "public health departments" altogether. They serve no purpose.

In any event, your summary above is spot on— I know that it is probably pointless to try to get people to look at the actual facts of this crisis, when they are willfully choosing to ignore them (in other words, it is not an oversight, it is studious ignorance)— so, the digression was going to be fruitless from the get-go— but the original poster’s contention did not hold water, so I did not regret the digression.

It also shows the outright failure of democracy. I don't care if 90% want to wear masks. I have no interest in wearing one because I realize it does no good whatsoever. If 90% want to shelter in place, let them shelter in place. Democracy is the systemic glorification of ignorance, and that was proven again in 2020.

This isn't even about football anymore.
Take this to the Yappi debate forum.
tenor.gif