Why do individuls and teams hate Massillon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancermania

Lancers lead the way!
Post your points here. Here is story told by one woman who drove up to Canton last year. She will not be named because Massillon crazies will attempt to get her name, email, adress and go after her.

"Last year, I drove up to the state final game by myself. I was cursed at and threatened by Massillon fans when I pulled up to our game, and I was completely by myself. A single woman threatened by multiple of their fans, to the point I was afraid to get out of my car, until one of our Freshman Coaches and his family pulled up. Then during the game,Massillon fans booed and spit on our players, and then booed our band when they took the field."

This is from another female who drove to the game last year.

" We we warned after the game to stay in a group and to be careful walking to our car!! Disgusting!!!"

Last edited:
This from the mother of a cheerleader

"last year their band members called our cheerleaders “sluts” and even worse."

My dislike stems from those 24 paper "titles" BS that are ingrained in their minds from their grandfathers and fathers.
The paper titles have created a false sense of pride in accomplishment. They are not the only ones who have done such things, but they really stand out in this area.

Also, we visited the area when one of my sons was considering attending a university in the area. Not since walking the streets in Pittsburgh have I felt the similar dislike for those coming from outside the community. Arrogant and firecly protective of their culture and pride. Not a welcoming group.

Obnoxious fan base that is living on titles given to them 50 years ago. At the '05 championship game half seemed drunk before the game.. not tipsy or buzzed, drunk. This included the trashy 40+ year old woman who managed to get a seat on the X side, and would randomly shout E-R-S when there was no chant happening. And why the pride in Stark County, the place is a rust belt hole?

Obnoxious fan base that is living on titles given to them 50 years ago. At the '05 championship game half seemed drunk before the game.. not tipsy or buzzed, drunk. This included the trashy 40+ year old woman who managed to get a seat on the X side, and would randomly shout E-R-S when there was no chant happening. And why the pride in Stark County, the place is a rust belt hole?
Might be other things in play. Hence, my oft cracks about Doritos.

You had me until the Stark County knock. But, that's for another conversation. Funny thing is, many in the area don't consider Massillon a part of Stark County anyway. It's like they exist in their own little world.

My only contact with anyone from Massillon was at Otterbein college in 58. Jack Patilla, at this late date I'm not sure of the spelling. He played football and commented on the fact that the football facilities at Otterbein were really bad compared to what he was used to at Massillon.

Post your points here. Here is story told by one woman who drove up to Canton last year. She will not be named because Massillon crazies will attempt to get her name, email, adress and go after her.

"Last year, I drove up to the state final game by myself. I was cursed at and threatened by Massillon fans when I pulled up to our game, and I was completely by myself. A single woman threatened by multiple of their fans, to the point I was afraid to get out of my car, until one of our Freshman Coaches and his family pulled up. Then during the game,Massillon fans booed and spit on our players, and then booed our band when they took the field."
This from the mother of a cheerleader

"last year their band members called our cheerleaders “sluts” and even worse."

If any of the above happened that is atrocious. Were the police not involved?
I used to have season tickets on the 50-yard line of the visitor's side of PBTS, and I can tell you from experience that big games bring out the worse type of people. The high school football equivalent of the "Easter & Christmas" churchgoer. People with no real interest in either team or town beyond an excuse to be obnoxious and intoxicated show up for these games and can't name anyone on either team they're not related to.

Last edited:
Ahhh the age old "they spit on us and called us names" shtick huh? Yeah sure Lancer. This thread says more about you and and other lancermaniacs than anyone else. And Yappi for allowing it.

Btw LaSalle has a GREAT program and sorry you lost but you weren't getting past Hoban this year, get over it.

I also ran into some LaSalle fans last year. They were very intoxicated and foul mouthed. I said not around the children please, and the one lifted his shirt and brandished a weapon, and said come get some.

There, happy? Oh yeah, they were spitting on people too I almost forgot.

Ahhh the age old "they spit on us and called us names" shtick huh? Yeah sure Lancer. This thread says more about you and and other lancermaniacs than anyone else. And Yappi for allowing it.

Btw LaSalle has a GREAT program and sorry you lost but you weren't getting past Hoban this year, get over it.
Ahhh... apparently you are the host for the away team and can guarantee that this has never happened. It has, I’ve experienced it personally, you’re not wrong Lancer. He didn’t say “TigerPaw” spits on people, it’s numerous drunk idiots that Massillon has allowed at their games for decades. You guys had fans on here talking about sneaking alcohol into games. It’s a HS football game, not a concert.

This TigerPaw attitude that all this stuff is made up to make the Tigers look bad is nonsense and plays into why people don’t care for the fan base as a whole.

Hate is too big a burden and way too much of a word for a high-school fan base.

But in 20+ years of covering high-school football, the behavior I saw in the 2005 state title game and a 2017 state semifinal went totally beyond anything I've seen in two decades. In fact, the words coming out of the stands at Winton Woods players in 2017 were especially memorable. That's a pretty big reason I was OK with not being able to take my son the the state final last year on a school night ... no bad behavior to explain when watching on TV.

Between the abundance of security, fan hotline, school administrators, how many incidents were reported? Oh, zero? Ok thanks.

The weekend went without a hitch. Ditto every playoff game I've ever attended the past several years. Not that I expected a 3rd grade dance recital. PBTS and the Massillon community graciously hosted the games exceptionally well as they always do and have for years. You are welcome.

Ahhh... apparently you are the host for the away team and can guarantee that this has never happened. It has, I’ve experienced it personally, you’re not wrong Lancer. He didn’t say “TigerPaw” spits on people, it’s numerous drunk idiots that Massillon has allowed at their games for decades. You guys had fans on here talking about sneaking alcohol into games. It’s a HS football game, not a concert.

This TigerPaw attitude that all this stuff is made up to make the Tigers look bad is nonsense and plays into why people don’t care for the fan base as a whole.
It's all part of their deflection and denying the truth. They can't man up to it. When their administration chose to initiate a hotline to notify authorities of unruly fans (yes, at a high school game) they put all the blame for the trouble on the visitors.

I also ran into some LaSalle fans last year. They were very intoxicated and foul mouthed. I said not around the children please, and the one lifted his shirt and brandished a weapon, and said come get some.

There, happy? Oh yeah, they were spitting on people too I almost forgot.
At the end of the day you are looking at people who hate a school and community they have no real affiliation with making up anecdotal stories nobody can verify one way or the other. Pretty sad existence if you ask me.

Between the abundance of security, fan hotline, school administrators, how many incidents were reported? Oh, zero? Ok thanks.

The weekend went without a hitch. Ditto every playoff game I've ever attended the past several years. Not that I expected a 3rd grade dance recital. PBTS and the Massillon community graciously hosted the games exceptionally well as they always do and have for years. You are welcome.

Ya, I’m sure people call that hotline all the time. What would that do?

Operator: “Massillon fan hotline, what is your emergency?”

Fan: “A drunk fan wearing his HS letterman’s jacket just spat a loogie on me.”

Operator: “Ma’am, what did this person look like...”

Fan: “Long, scraggly hair, unkempt, dirty, wearing a 30 yr old letterman’s jacket.”

Operator: “Ma’am, they all look like that, I need more...”

Yeah, Massillon should be hailed as state heroes for “stepping up” to host the past weekend games. They stood to benefit nothing from hosting. It’s awesome they hosted, amazing facilities and place to play. However, if they would’ve declined (I’m sure they were one of the first, if not the first contacted) someone else would’ve “stepped up”. Not like anyone had to worry about being able to have enough seating this year. So quit acting like Massillon did something no one else would.

Those stories you shared, Lancer, are terrible and clear examples of terrible sportsmanship (at best) and sexism or violence (at worst). As someone who grew up as a WBL fan (west central Ohio), I am not affiliated in any way with Massillon or their rivals. I have seen what you've described within WBL rivalries. I don't think it's unique to Massillon or the WBL, it's an... in general some sports fans are trash and have caveman like tendencies. It's completely disrespectful and one would hope their school/parents would teach them differently.

As a long-time Yappi reader and now a somewhat often poster, I will say that I avoid MOST Massillon discussion threads. Avoid it as much as I can. While I'm curious about the football talk (i.e. how they match up with their playoff opponent), I know that only a post or two in the discussion will devolve into non-Massillon folks jabbing them about their paper titles. It's a never-ending, entirely predictable squabble that, in my opinion, brings out the worst in Yappi. Are some Massillon posters obnoxious? Sure. Are they living in the past (i.e. Michigan or Notre Dame), yeah probably. Is it their fault that there wasn't a playoff system pre-1972 (or whenever)? No, it isn't. The media is the one who named champions, take your issue up with them. It's just weird I see folks complain about Massillon's media titles, when Ohio State also claims media titles. Are y'all outspoken about that too? Or not because you actually like OSU? If so, seems like your issue isn't about the paper titles.

While I hear the point that many folks find Massillon fanbase annoying and disrespectful, from an outsider point of view I can't help but think that many of the anti-Massillon people act the same way on here. To some degree, it's embarrassing. The constant jabbing... the folks laughing about how Massillon lost another state title this weekend... it reads pretty clearly like some Yappi posters are openly rooting for a bunch of 15-17 year old kids to fail on the football field. That's just sad. I simply find both sides to be intolerable, and to some degree, find the anti-Massillon folks to be the more childish ones. Just my two cents.

What everyone hates about Massillon fans is the same thing actual Massillon fans hate about Massillon fans! There is a few that give the rest of us a bad name. The problem is the bad ones stick out like a sore thumb
Unfortunately, I suspect it's much more than a few.

Those stories you shared, Lancer, are terrible and clear examples of terrible sportsmanship (at best) and sexism or violence (at worst). As someone who grew up as a WBL fan (west central Ohio), I am not affiliated in any way with Massillon or their rivals. I have seen what you've described within WBL rivalries. I don't think it's unique to Massillon or the WBL, it's an... in general some sports fans are trash and have caveman like tendencies. It's completely disrespectful and one would hope their school/parents would teach them differently.

As a long-time Yappi reader and now a somewhat often poster, I will say that I avoid MOST Massillon discussion threads. Avoid it as much as I can. While I'm curious about the football talk (i.e. how they match up with their playoff opponent), I know that only a post or two in the discussion will devolve into non-Massillon folks jabbing them about their paper titles. It's a never-ending, entirely predictable squabble that, in my opinion, brings out the worst in Yappi. Are some Massillon posters obnoxious? Sure. Are they living in the past (i.e. Michigan or Notre Dame), yeah probably. Is it their fault that there wasn't a playoff system pre-1972 (or whenever)? No, it isn't. The media is the one who named champions, take your issue up with them. It's just weird I see folks complain about Massillon's media titles, when Ohio State also claims media titles. Are y'all outspoken about that too? Or not because you actually like OSU? If so, seems like your issue isn't about the paper titles.

While I hear the point that many folks find Massillon fanbase annoying and disrespectful, from an outsider point of view I can't help but think that many of the anti-Massillon people act the same way on here. To some degree, it's embarrassing. The constant jabbing... the folks laughing about how Massillon lost another state title this weekend... it reads pretty clearly like some Yappi posters are openly rooting for a bunch of 15-17 year old kids to fail on the football field. That's just sad. I simply find both sides to be intolerable, and to some degree, find the anti-Massillon folks to be the more childish ones. Just my two cents.

There are two teams, someone has to be rooted against, due to mostly the adult behaviors, Massillon is typically rooted against by people outside of Massillon.

If I root for Massillon, I’m rooting for the other group of 15-18 year old kids to lose.

Rooting for one team against the other, or rooting against a particular team is the definition of fandom.

Status
Not open for further replies.