Who's sending their kids to class?

Stow78alum

I don't have any school aged children (graduated 2006-2014), so I don't have to make the decision myself.

But who is planning on sending their children to classrooms when their kid's school buildings open in Aug/Sept?

My district opened the registration window for parents who want their kids to do the semester / year long district virtual school on June 27th. The deadline is July 27th. I'll be curious to see what the numbers are. The rub is that if you sign your kid up for say a semester of virtual school you're locked in even if we go back to in person 5 days a week.

My district opened the registration window for parents who want their kids to do the semester / year long district virtual school on June 27th. The deadline is July 27th. I'll be curious to see what the numbers are. The rub is that if you sign your kid up for say a semester of virtual school you're locked in even if we go back to in person 5 days a week.
My 5 kids have graduated from Mason, which has over 10,500 kids in the district schools, and only 25% of the parents have registered for either back to school full-time or online classes at home with a deadline of July 15th---my wife and daughter coach volleyball so it's very much still up in the air what the other 75% of families will choose for their kids for the new school year. Lots of discussions on how safe kids, teachers, bus drivers, custodians, secretaries, cafeteria workers will be with school re-opening in August.

My 5 kids have graduated from Mason, which has over 10,500 kids in the district schools, and only 25% of the parents have registered for either back to school full-time or online classes at home with a deadline of July 15th---my wife and daughter coach volleyball so it's very much still up in the air what the other 75% of families will choose for their kids for the new school year. Lots of discussions on how safe kids, teachers, bus drivers, custodians, secretaries, cafeteria workers will be with school re-opening in August.

What percent of the district signed up for online? (if you know). Just curious.

What percent of the district signed up for online? (if you know). Just curious.
They haven't revealed the %'s yet--I imagine after Wednesday a tweet will come out letting us know how the break down is between going back and on-line---I think the online is going to be significant--those who choose online are doing it for the 1st semester.

They haven't revealed the %'s yet--I imagine after Wednesday a tweet will come out letting us know how the break down is between going back and on-line---I think the online is going to be significant--those who choose online are doing it for the 1st semester.

Gotcha. Keep us posted. Will be interesting to see what develops. Thank You.

The Canton Rep still does a pretty decent job of covering the local school board meetings. Many have been reporting the results of the surveys that nearly every school did to gather parent input into the matter. I have yet to see one that favored home learning. I think one was as high as 78% in favor of in school learning.

I'll send my child who's still in high school - no reservations.

As much interaction as she has had with her older siblings, her mom, stepdad, friends, grandparents, cousins, coworkers, customers (she works at a grocery store), and me over the past 2-1/2 months, I would be a little surprised if she hasn't already been exposed to the virus.

Same for nearly every other student as well.

Last edited:
I'll send my child who's still in high school - no reservations.

As much interaction as she has had with her older siblings, her mom, stepdad, friends, grandparents, cousins, coworkers, customers (she works at a grocery store), and me over the past 2-1/2 months, I would be a little surprised if she hasn't already been exposed to the virus.

Same for nearly every other student as well.
ditto for my grandkid. i think he’s had it at least once. but quite honestly i think schools will switch back to remote or hybrid fairly quickly. he will be going back to school in person but not really sure what to expect. school has yet to release protocol if one student tests positive.

The sad part with this is parents on the whole don't actually care about their kids education, all they want is an affordable day care for their kids to come back as soon as possible. So take these surveys with a grain of salt and remember that many are going to answer yes to in person education simply because there's no other option they can think of

The sad part with this is parents on the whole don't actually care about their kids education, all they want is an affordable day care for their kids to come back as soon as possible. So take these surveys with a grain of salt and remember that many are going to answer yes to in person education simply because there's no other option they can think of

Parents as a whole, really? I agree that there are some that view it as affordable daycare and there might even be districts where this is a real problem, but the majority of parents care about their child's education. I will absolutely send my son back to school and I will 100% support my daughter leaving for college in the fall. Virtual learning was a complete waste of time for my kids in the spring. My son was knocking out a full day of school work in less than an hour. At the time my wife was home so she was able to do some enrichment activities to supplement what he was missing out on. That will not be the case in the fall since she is back to work.

School districts are in an all time pickle. Would not want to be a school admin right now.

Yes and no. They're getting paid. Their workday is affected almost not at all and there will be almost no responsibility for district performance = no one looking over their shoulder, if there even was. $ to friends and family.

If they haven't been, this is a time for communities to be very vigilent on what dollars are coming into the district from state and fed (as well as their own) and how they are being dispensed. It's the supplemental contracts and hiring that communities need to keep very close eye on that are normally ignored with political concentration on aggragate salaries instead of the little rocks and pepples. These all go through Admin and Union leadership.

Last edited:
Yes and no. They're getting paid. Their workday is affected almost not at all and there will be almost no responsibility for district performance = no one looking over their shoulder, if there even was. $ to friends and family.

If they haven't been, this is a time for communities to be very vigilent on what dollars are coming into the district from state and fed (as well as their own) and how they are being dispensed. It's the supplemental contracts and hiring that communities need to keep very close eye on that are normally ignored with political concentration on aggragate salaries instead of the little rocks and pepples. These all go through Admin and Union leadership.
Your district may be different. They all are. Regardless...

The state has offered very little in terms of guidance. Why? Because no one really knows how to handle this situation yet there is giant pressure to open schools. There is no right answer here. Do you stagger kids and have them attend different days in order to abide by social distancing? Most schools do not have sufficient space to social distance. If you stagger parents will complain in regard to daycare, When you bring kids back are they all required to wear masks? Older kids perhaps but can you picture a class of 2nd graders wearing masks without fidgeting with the thing every 5 seconds? Are you going to take temps every day? If a kid has a sniffle do you send him home? If a kid tests positive for Covid-19 do you quarantine his class? Teacher? His grade? The first kid who gets Covid-19 at school and dies because he has some undiagnosed heart condition will open a whole other can of worms and probably a lawsuit. We live in an age of liability. We also live in a world where everyone complains and casts stones but has no skin in the game. No matter how this situation is handled most will find fault. Not an easy position to be in for anyone.

Meanwhile, in my wife's district, the teachers went with full negotiations on their contract. MOST teacher's unions in the state whose contract was up, agreed to forgo negotiations and simply roll last years contract forward one more year. Duh, uncharted territory, bigger fish to fry, lets negotiate a year from now when this storm is hopefully over. Most teachers have not lifted a finger since March 18 and yet want raises in a district that has 20% unemployment. Talk about supplementals? Every coach, AD, assistant AD, demanded that they get their full coaching stipend for Spring Sports even though there was no season.

Talk about being out of touch? The district has laid off 68 non essential staff. Not easy to do.

Good luck and God Bless to ANY admins at any school trying to figure this ordeal out.

How much are kids or all people for that matter really social distancing?

I see a bunch of people preaching to stay inside, wear masks etc. on a Monday or Tuesday night when they have nothing to do, but then get amnesia on the weekend.

A BGSU student told me that he knows 4 of his friends who tested positive and were out partying that same night.

I don't know the answer, but I can tell you that most parent's actions do not match their words. If 3% of families are following the recommendations to the letter I have some swamp land to sell. I don't think any steps the schools take will do much to limit exposure, because of what will be brought in from outside, especially from asymptomatic students and staff.

From all reports my kids will be attending classes in person. With the risk/information that I have I think that is the correct approach. But things change.

Parents as a whole, really? I agree that there are some that view it as affordable daycare and there might even be districts where this is a real problem, but the majority of parents care about their child's education. I will absolutely send my son back to school and I will 100% support my daughter leaving for college in the fall. Virtual learning was a complete waste of time for my kids in the spring. My son was knocking out a full day of school work in less than an hour. At the time my wife was home so she was able to do some enrichment activities to supplement what he was missing out on. That will not be the case in the fall since she is back to work.

Go ask around your district how many parents the teachers see at student teacher conferences all year, you'll be able to count on one hand how many get to double digits. Wanting your kid to learn =/= caring about their education

How much are kids or all people for that matter really social distancing?

I see a bunch of people preaching to stay inside, wear masks etc. on a Monday or Tuesday night when they have nothing to do, but then get amnesia on the weekend.

A BGSU student told me that he knows 4 of his friends who tested positive and were out partying that same night.

I don't know the answer, but I can tell you that most parent's actions do not match their words. If 3% of families are following the recommendations to the letter I have some swamp land to sell. I don't think any steps the schools take will do much to limit exposure, because of what will be brought in from outside, especially from asymptomatic students and staff.

From all reports my kids will be attending classes in person. With the risk/information that I have I think that is the correct approach. But things change.
I agree 100%.

However, you are pretty level headed. In most districts there will be a good chunk of people who will complain no matter what. This is the day and age we live in. The blame game will be rampant even though the parent does not have one solution. Just wait and see how many Admins get blamed because Lil' Johnny got Covid-19 because some "Karen" who sits on her arse and watches The View all day has inadvertently learned that the blame game is really easy.

And again, what is the answer when a kid or teacher tests positive? By the time it is realized it is usually too late and other already have it. Shut down for awhile? Then what? Go longer at the end of the year? How many of these "shut-downs" will happen? Lots of unknowns in uncharted territory. I can assure you Admins have their hands full like never before at this point.

Last edited:
Maybe a hybrid like we are going to do in NC - unless something hits the fan. Then, back to all online. Feel for the vulnerable kids; feel for all kids.