Who's got the biggest - and smallest - roster in each division for week 13?

CJK84

Which teams need lots of buses if they're bringing everybody? Anyone dress 100 or more?

Any teams still playing with 40 or fewer on the roster (including frosh)?

You would be assuming wrong, in fact, I'm pretty sure that doesn't include all of their jv's

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thats pretty impressive for D7. Thats bigger than many D3 rosters

DSJ fans, please correct me if I am wrong, but in 2000 DSJ played McComb in Lima. McComb dressed around 35 and DSJ dressed 104. They came out single file while McComb was warming up and surrounded the entire field. The game was over right then.

I'm assuming this includes freshmen?

Nope. Actually it only includes a handful of sophomores. If St. Xavier dressed all their sophomores, juniors and seniors they would have over 180 kids on the sidelines. If they dressed freshman they would have over 250 kids on their sideline. That would be a little crowded. St. Ignatius is about the same.

Their roster is on their website, you can go there and count for yourself.

I do not know the numbers from last year’schampionship team, but the championship team prior had over 70 seniors, did they not?

You would be assuming wrong, in fact, I'm pretty sure that doesn't include all of their jv's

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DSJ fans, please correct me if I am wrong, but in 2000 DSJ played McComb in Lima. McComb dressed around 35 and DSJ dressed 104. They came out single file while McComb was warming up and surrounded the entire field. The game was over right then.

I think our roster, 9-12, around then was about 110. We were in the midst of the 57 game winning streak and back to back to back state titles and kids wanted to be a part of it whether they were athletic or not.
It was pretty cool to see them to see them circle the field and then line up on their end, 10 wide from midfield into the endzone.

Nope. Actually it only includes a handful of sophomores. If St. Xavier dressed all their sophomores, juniors and seniors they would have over 180 kids on the sidelines. If they dressed freshman they would have over 250 kids on their sideline. That would be a little crowded. St. Ignatius is about the same.

What percent of the student body would 250 represent? I would guess about 15-20%?

I think our roster, 9-12, around then was about 110. We were in the midst of the 57 game winning streak and back to back to back state titles and kids wanted to be a part of it whether they were athletic or not.
It was pretty cool to see them to see them circle the field and then line up on their end, 10 wide from midfield into the endzone.

Thanx for the confirmation. Seen so many games over the years my mind doesn't always get things in order. :thumb:

There are only 8 sophomores that dress with varsity

St. X has 1600 boys. Senior night ceremony takes a long time. Post game handshakes are 2 lines for X and usually 1 for the opponent.

It seems like roster size contributes noticeably to success on the field.

For a team to reach the state finals requires 15 games. It's very difficult to get that far if guys are going both ways every Friday for what is essentially a season and a half.

And it's really difficult to replace starters when only a few warm bodies are on the sideline to choose from.

The teams with big rosters have a definite advantage. That's why it's impressive when squads with small numbers - like Hardin Northern 10-15 years ago - go deep in the playoffs.

Marion and Coldwater have been dominant small schools for the past 20 years - and, not surprisingly, their rosters are nearly always considerably bigger than their opponents'. As a Marion fan, I'm certainly not complaining - just an observation (and an obvious one I know).

It seems like roster size contributes noticeably to success on the field.

For a team to reach the state finals requires 15 games. It's very difficult to get that far if guys are going both ways every Friday for what is essentially a season and a half.

And it's really difficult to replace starters when only a few warm bodies are on the sideline to choose from.

The teams with big rosters have a definite advantage. That's why it's impressive when squads with small numbers - like Hardin Northern 10-15 years ago - go deep in the playoffs.

Marion and Coldwater have been dominant small schools for the past 20 years - and, not surprisingly, their rosters are nearly always considerably bigger than their opponents'. As a Marion fan, I'm certainly not complaining - just an observation (and an obvious one I know).

It's a chicken or the egg situation: Do these programs win because they have more players on the roster, or do they have more players on the roster because they win?

A larger roster makes it more possible to have depth and also makes it more possible to have a chance of having a handful of players who are well above average. It also makes it more possible to have a few that are special (like major DI college special).

However, it's also easier to get more players out for the team when a program is successful. Winning is fun, and everyone wants to be a part of a winner. It's amazing how many non-freshmen have joined my school's team in the last couple years after making multiple trips to the finals. The possibility of winning something was a big draw for them and makes their friends' sales pitch more effective. It's also amazing how quickly numbers can decrease in programs that start losing consistently. It takes a special coach to reverse that trend and get kids excited about the program and get them to come out for the team when things aren't going well.

Last edited:

Here's your answer for small division schools having bigger than expected rosters.

Here's your answer for small division schools having bigger than expected rosters.

Exactly, our small D6 school had a run of 4 straight league titles and back to back 10-0 season in 08-09. Those 10-0 teams had 64 and 59 kids on the team. The year after in 2010 had 24 seniors on roster which was like 70% of the entire class playing. A lot of the kids just wanted to be apart of the winning. After that large class graduated there was some lean years and participation fell to around 35, then some successful seasons and it's back up with a large JR and Soph classes.