Who wins Region 4?

Who will emerge from Region 4 and represent SWO in the semis?

• St. Xavier

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Fairfield

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Colerain

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Elder

Votes: 40 39.2%
  • Lakota West

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Princeton

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Hamilton

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mason

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But how did McClain get hurt? A swarming Colerain defense probably contributed to the injury. Now I'm not promoting injury to opponents of Colerain, but a stout defense sometimes causes that.

Actually Colerain was prepared for McClain. Fairfield scored all 10 of their points right after McClain got hurt and left the game. I think Colerain might have lost some of their defensive momentum after the star left the game and it took a while to get it back.

Actually Colerain was prepared for McClain. Fairfield scored all 10 of their points right after McClain got hurt and left the game. I think Colerain might have lost some of their defensive momentum after the star left the game and it took a while to get it back.
I thought both Colerain and Fairfield's defense were great all game. Both squads hit a few big plays offensively but were stout otherwise. Colerain had 3 goal line stands and each time Fairfield had the ball at the 1. You have to tip your hat to the Colerain defense because I was 100 percent sure Fairfield was going in each of those drives but nothing. The Colerain defense has to be on cloud 9 right now and good luck scoring on them now after this past weeks game. Colerain had to defend 9 plays in overtime and still was able to hold strong.

The Fairfield defense was also stout all game. They lost the qb a couple of plays and lost contain one play. In a game like last week, that is all it takes. Fairfield's offense had it's chances. The ball didn't bounce in their favor. I would have tried to score just like they did from the 1. You have to be able to get in there.

To be fair, those fumbles show the issues they have had at center and not a QB. Every high/low or bad snap goes against the QB and a fumble doesn't mean a lost fumble. So it's not 17 turnovers....

West has been 2-8, 2-8 and 4-6 previous three years so 7-3 with and playoffs seems pretty good. Coach Bolden left Colerain in a great place and that's wonderful, but I'd be careful saying it wasn't him. This year Colerain scored 278 points...526, 485, 389 last three years. 278 is lowest point total in 15 years.

Elder is a good team, no doubt about that....and coverage of that above.

Honestly that's NOT true. Majority of fumbles went right thru Mitch's hands, more an issue with QB than center however center(s) took blame from Bolden just like receiver(s) did for INT's (bad route running) and linemen for sacks. Yes.....center was not always perfect but your QB has to catch a snap if it's snapped little to his left, right, up or down.....when QB gets TWO hands on it he has to CATCH IT! I never said "turnovers", I said fumbles. Even when a fumble takes place and it's not a turnover it's a monument/drive killer for the offense. Yes.....West has been down past few years but as someone pointed out on 2019 GMC thread Cox had this year circled on his calendar, he knew this was going to be an up year and so did West parents in stands this year. 2009 was actually lowest points scored by Colerain at 273 under Bolden and anyone who has been around Colerain football knows Bolden never likes to win by score or two, he wants to crush teams, reflection of scores you noted above past three years. Unfortunately this year with his freshman son at QB he was not able to repeat crushing of teams, INT's, fumbles did not help plus having Afari running east to west in triple where he's best running downhill north to south. It was interesting though to see Bolden call two defensive timeouts last week on Middletown's last drive just before half last week to try and get another score in before half. With :59 seconds on clock West got ball back Bolden put in senior QB and West moved ball in close enough for FG score. Curious why he'd took Mitch out? Was it because Bolden doesn't have confidence in his son he can move offense against a defense that knows you're throwing ball on every play since West had no timeouts left at that point? For not playing since week one, senior QB looked poised in pocket, has a strong arm and would of liked to seen him run offense in second half. Against Elder hopefully West defense can keep it close for little but ultimately Elder would pull away, West offense will not be able to keep up with Elder's ability to put LOTS of points on the board. West had was the LOWEST scoring team with a winning record in GMC this year.

Honestly that's NOT true. Majority of fumbles went right thru Mitch's hands, more an issue with QB than center however center(s) took blame from Bolden just like receiver(s) did for INT's (bad route running) and linemen for sacks. Yes.....center was not always perfect but your QB has to catch a snap if it's snapped little to his left, right, up or down.....when QB gets TWO hands on it he has to CATCH IT! I never said "turnovers", I said fumbles. Even when a fumble takes place and it's not a turnover it's a monument/drive killer for the offense. Yes.....West has been down past few years but as someone pointed out on 2019 GMC thread Cox had this year circled on his calendar, he knew this was going to be an up year and so did West parents in stands this year. 2009 was actually lowest points scored by Colerain at 273 under Bolden and anyone who has been around Colerain football knows Bolden never likes to win by score or two, he wants to crush teams, reflection of scores you noted above past three years. Unfortunately this year with his freshman son at QB he was not able to repeat crushing of teams, INT's, fumbles did not help plus having Afari running east to west in triple where he's best running downhill north to south. It was interesting though to see Bolden call two defensive timeouts last week on Middletown's last drive just before half last week to try and get another score in before half. With :59 seconds on clock West got ball back Bolden put in senior QB and West moved ball in close enough for FG score. Curious why he'd took Mitch out? Was it because Bolden doesn't have confidence in his son he can move offense against a defense that knows you're throwing ball on every play since West had no timeouts left at that point? For not playing since week one, senior QB looked poised in pocket, has a strong arm and would of liked to seen him run offense in second half. Against Elder hopefully West defense can keep it close for little but ultimately Elder would pull away, West offense will not be able to keep up with Elder's ability to put LOTS of points on the board. West had was the LOWEST scoring team with a winning record in GMC this year.

I agree, even a recovered fumble can kill a drive. You implied the QB was responsible, I'm saying the center has a lot to do with it. A bad snap is also a drive killer. Whether or not a majority went through his hands I don't know. My mistake on the 273 points for Colerain in 2009....I always assume them at top of standings and didn't look at teams.

I find it odd Cox had this season circled as special; there was a lot of talent on those 2-8 teams if I recall....some of them playing of rother teams around the area. I didn't see that post in the GMC thread (and I didn't go back and look).

Maybe senior QB played because it was senior night?

West scored 90 points last year......90!

Good luck to all GMC teams this weekend!

You mean the West senior QB that went 2/10 passing in Week 10 and 6/27 on the season? Clearly a great QB is being wasted on the bench.

Regardless, Mitch Bolden gives West their best chance of winning; however, the turnovers/fumbles have been a problem. That is what you get with a freshmen QB.

Fairfield offense was different with McClain in the game though.

But how did McClain get hurt? A swarming Colerain defense probably contributed to the injury. Now I'm not promoting injury to opponents of Colerain, but a stout defense sometimes causes that.
He rolled his ankle as he was tackled after ripping off a long run. Nothing to do with a swarming defense. Just a freak occurrence.

You mean the West senior QB that went 2/10 passing in Week 10 and 6/27 on the season? Clearly a great QB is being wasted on the bench.

Regardless, Mitch Bolden gives West their best chance of winning; however, the turnovers/fumbles have been a problem. That is what you get with a freshmen QB.

those are facts and I’m not sure they matter to some people.....

I agree, even a recovered fumble can kill a drive. You implied the QB was responsible, I'm saying the center has a lot to do with it. A bad snap is also a drive killer. Whether or not a majority went through his hands I don't know. My mistake on the 273 points for Colerain in 2009....I always assume them at top of standings and didn't look at teams.

I find it odd Cox had this season circled as special; there was a lot of talent on those 2-8 teams if I recall....some of them playing of rother teams around the area. I didn't see that post in the GMC thread (and I didn't go back and look).

Maybe senior QB played because it was senior night?

West scored 90 points last year......90!

Good luck to all GMC teams this weekend!

Agree......good luck to all the GMC teams tonight. Looking forward next week to Colerain/Fairfield re-match!

I will be heading to the Pit for the first time in my life tonight. Looking forward to the experience. Any tips or recommendations?

Park in the garage on the Seton lot. It's worth the price to pay and a short walk over to The Pit.

If you park on the street, get there a bit early as it will fill up fast. Try to find a spot on Gilsey, Vincent, Regina or Academy. These are the streets that surround Elder and Seton and are a short walk to the field. Gilsey runs parallel with the football field. There is also a gate on the south end of the stadium off of St. Lawrence. St. Lawrence is a convenient street to park on as well.

You can even find parking on Suire and Harris (south of the stadium), off of St. Lawrence. If you find a spot toward the north end of either of these streets, you will be a very short walk to the south gate of The Pit.

Last edited:
I will be heading to the Pit for the first time in my life tonight. Looking forward to the experience. Any tips or recommendations?
If you get over ther early enough you can park on the street for free. Seton High School has a parking garage right next door, should be $10 or so if you'd rather park close. Concessions/bathroom lines get pretty long and that should be compounded by the cold as people try to stay warm, so if you need to grab a drink or break at restroom, I'd suggest going early before game starts and definitely well before half. The visitor stands aren't as high as the home side, so for best view grab seats on the top 2-3 rows. The concrete can get quite cold this time of year, may want a cushion to sit on. Otherwise, hope you enjoy your first time, though I do hope your Firebirds end up on the wrong side of the scoreboard.

If you get over ther early enough you can park on the street for free. Seton High School has a parking garage right next door, should be $10 or so if you'd rather park close. Concessions/bathroom lines get pretty long and that should be compounded by the cold as people try to stay warm, so if you need to grab a drink or break at restroom, I'd suggest going early before game starts and definitely well before half. The visitor stands aren't as high as the home side, so for best view grab seats on the top 2-3 rows. The concrete can get quite cold this time of year, may want a cushion to sit on. Otherwise, hope you enjoy your first time, though I do hope your Firebirds end up on the wrong side of the scoreboard.

I am not a West or Elder fan. Just going to enjoy the experience of the Pit. Thanks for all of the info on parking. I will be heading that way and hoping to arrive by 5:30.

... The visitor stands aren't as high as the home side, so for best view grab seats on the top 2-3 rows. ...
Yes. If you are in the first few rows behind the team, then you will HAVE to stand to see the game. Then, all the Elder fans on the side who are not blocked by the players but are blocked by you standing will complain the whole game. They should block off those seats and sell less tickets.

Mason moving the ball at will on X. They lead 13-7. Only drive where Mason was stopped was an INT in the end zone. This is the game to keep an eye on as tonight wears on. The Mason offense has struggled this season, but did find their stride at the end of the year. The defense is the strength of their team.

Mason moving the ball at will on X. They lead 13-7. Only drive where Mason was stopped was an INT in the end zone. This is the game to keep an eye on as tonight wears on. The Mason offense has struggled this season, but did find their stride at the end of the year. The defense is the strength of their team.

X is going to be able to control the air though. Mason DBs have made some solid plays but they are going to have to be perfect to win this. X offense was moving with ease.

X is going to be able to control the air though. Mason DBs have made some solid plays but they are going to have to be perfect to win this. X offense was moving with ease.
True. It’s actually interesting how similar in style the teams are. I guess you get that when the Mason coach is a former Specht assistant.

Elder is the only team in control. The other three are ballgames. Is it possible that Krause gets upset in the 1st round yet again?

Mason put too much faith in their defense to pull this game out. They needed to be more aggressive on offense and treat the whole field 4th down territory.

Everybody in control.

Colerain leads Princeton 30-7

X leads Mason 34-20

Elder leads Lakota West 35-10

Fairfield leads Hamilton 30-13.

Mason put too much faith in their defense to pull this game out. They needed to be more aggressive on offense and treat the whole field 4th down territory.
I’m surprised X was able to run the ball on them like they have.