Who wins Region 4?

Who will emerge from Region 4 and represent SWO in the semis?

• St. Xavier

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Fairfield

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Colerain

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Elder

Votes: 40 39.2%
  • Lakota West

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Princeton

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Hamilton

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mason

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He didn't say they were going to.
He said he could see an upset, my question wasn't meant to be an attack. I honestly want to know what he has seen that makes him think that they might upset colerain. I was at the Lakota West game and I watched a team that was talented but extremely undisciplined. at least 3 unsportsmanlike penalties not even close to the play sometimes. there were at least 6 personal foul penalties. That was the only game that they won against a team that had a winning record if I am correct. The young QB for Lakota turned the ball over several times and Princeton barely eeked out the win despite being up big early.

He said he could see an upset, my question wasn't meant to be an attack. I honestly want to know what he has seen that makes him think that they might upset colerain. I was at the Lakota West game and I watched a team that was talented but extremely undisciplined. at least 3 unsportsmanlike penalties not even close to the play sometimes. there were at least 6 personal foul penalties. That was the only game that they won against a team that had a winning record if I am correct. The young QB for Lakota turned the ball over several times and Princeton barely eeked out the win despite being up big early.

High school football is not a beauty contest, a win is a win. Trust me being a Viking can be frustrating watching this team with the undisciplined stuff, but that still doesn't take away from there talent level. Princeton will most likely lose by 2 or 3 TD's, but Princeton's faithful still has some faith that they can pull out an upset. There is nothing wrong with that

High school football is not a beauty contest, a win is a win. Trust me being a Viking can be frustrating watching this team with the undisciplined stuff, but that still doesn't take away from there talent level. Princeton will most likely lose by 2 or 3 TD's, but Princeton's faithful still has some faith that they can pull out an upset. There is nothing wrong with that

Totally agree with this. Coming into the season Princeton was a chic pick to make some noise when this time of year rolled in. Well here we are and while the season did not go as many on Chester Road had hoped, they did still win enough to punch a postseason ticket.

The win over West was their highwater mark IMHO for the season. However, I do wonder how strong their desire to play and continue is after seeing the results of the Mason game. They appeared to come out hot and hungry and continuing the momentum from the win over West, only to fade and fold as the game wore on. I'd have a lot more faith in the team had they strung together a set of solid wins against teams they have not had much successs against in recent times.

However, the second season is upon them and everything is there for the taking. Will be interested to see if Colerain comes out focused and ready to go or exhausted and drained from the Fairfield game.

Like a few others have mentioned, I think the game is close to halftime and Colerain wins by two scores or so.

I agree, I would expect nothing less from a fan of the program. I was just wondering if he had seen something or knew something tangible that was giving him a reason to think that Princeton would pull of the upset other than just love for the team and hope.

Just curious as to what you have seen from Princeton that makes you think they are going to upset Colerain?
Different Qb for starters which the team has shown a bigger pep in their step since he been starting, Healty bigger Rb which didn’t play much first game , I didn’t see the Mason and it was a step backwards, The West game the coaching wasn’t bad , and really the score made it closer then what it was , refs made a bad call on first on side kick and gave west the ball back on short field , if you take a look at first game the Vikes Control the run the first few series and it took a half back pass to get colerain going , if Princeton makes adjustment on D I think they win ,They are a better offense team then they was in week 4 have more options now with new starting Qb then with Horton

I’m a faithful and probably seen more Princeton games then anyone on this site, I’m a former player that still have pride in the program , just remember if Mattress don’t call a audible in 88 we go back to back state championship and probably starts a dynasty that could of been special, the school board screw the program up when they went outside of the program to find a coach when Mancuso retired , there was 3 well deserving assistant on that staff , they let Leach stick around to long , Croley was a disaster as a Head coach and Ad but he did higher the Lasalle coach which started the Turn around 6-4 in his only year, Daniels has improved some still needs a better coaching staff that can make halftime adjustments, the program is better now then it was 5 years ago , Freshman was 6-2 this year and reserves went 9-1 , if the kids continue to grow and the programs continue to get transfers they will be ok ,

And the school needs the transfers , Sharonville eagles program is defunct,Lincoln height tigers are defunct, the community is a older community and not a lot of new housing development, or younger kids sticking around for 12 years , lil Vikes program is ok but I doubt it’s as big as Sharonville or Lincoln Hts program was .

While the top 4 teams are solid favorites my order of potential upsets are:

1A) Mason over X. Mason has gone 5 - 2 since losing 3 straight games to open the season. Both losses since then were to playoff teams by a TD or less. X has been a bit up & down.

1B) Hamilton over Fairfield. I do buy into the possibility that FF will be flat after that ferocious battle with Colerain last Friday. Earlier this season the Indians only beat Big Blue 34 - 27.

2) Princeton over Colerian. Don't see it happening.

3) West over Elder. Don't see it happening - especially at the Pit.

Now to be clear I do expect X, FF, Colerain & Elder to all win but since it's high school football you just know that one of them won't.

While the top 4 teams are solid favorites my order of potential upsets are:

1A) Mason over X. Mason has gone 5 - 2 since losing 3 straight games to open the season. Both losses since then were to playoff teams by a TD or less. X has been a bit up & down.

1B) Hamilton over Fairfield. I do buy into the possibility that FF will be flat after that ferocious battle with Colerain last Friday. Earlier this season the Indians only beat Big Blue 34 - 27.

2) Princeton over Colerian. Don't see it happening.

3) West over Elder. Don't see it happening - especially at the Pit.

Now to be clear I do expect X, FF, Colerain & Elder to all win but since it's high school football you just know that one of them won't.

lotr10, I hope Jutan McClain is healthy. That could be a huge factor in your game. The Hamilton defense is not bad.

And the school needs the transfers , Sharonville eagles program is defunct,Lincoln height tigers are defunct, the community is a older community and not a lot of new housing development, or younger kids sticking around for 12 years , lil Vikes program is ok but I doubt it’s as big as Sharonville or Lincoln Hts program was .
Lincoln Heights program is not defunct. Actually, two teams won the Super Bowls in their leagues. Not getting the exposure since the advent of the Lil Vikes.

What's the status on McClain? My $0.02...if he can benefit from a week off, give it to him. Don't even think about it. Hamilton is not a bad little team, but there is no way they should be able to hang with Fairfield for 4 quarters even WITHOUT McClain playing. Rest him up and get him ready for week 12 against Colerain, assuming the Cards take care of business against a seemingly resurgent Princeton team on Friday night.

lotr10...what are you hearing? What's the scuttlebutt in Butler County?

-CardinalsFan

What's the status on McClain? My $0.02...if he can benefit from a week off, give it to him. Don't even think about it. Hamilton is not a bad little team, but there is no way they should be able to hang with Fairfield for 4 quarters even WITHOUT McClain playing. Rest him up and get him ready for week 12 against Colerain, assuming the Cards take care of business against a seemingly resurgent Princeton team on Friday night.

lotr10...what are you hearing? What's the scuttlebutt in Butler County?

-CardinalsFan

Its his senior Season. My guess is he will want to play this game because there are no more guaranteed. FF offense needs him on the field to be as productive as they have been in the regular season regardless of his injury.

I'm going with Elder. They are the one team that can consistently score. Their season low of 25 points led to their two losses against Ed's and Lasalle, very likely the D1 and D2 state champions this year. Luebbe is probably the best dual-threat QB in the state. Even though he only went 4/14 for 60 yards in the game against X, he ran 21 times for 236 yards. He's thrown for over 2,064 yards at 8.6 ypa and ran for 1,099 yards at 8.2 ypa. The fewest yards Elder has gained in a game this season has been 305 against Indy Cathedral. Meanwhile, Fairfield's offense stalled out for only 16 points against Springfield, 20 against Lakota East, and 10 against Colerain. Colerain only put up 14 against X, 17 against Hamilton, and 16 against Fairfield. X had 21 against Colerain, 15 against Lasalle, and 13 against Iggy. Yes, Elder's defense isn't that good, particularly in the secondary, but I have a hard time seeing the other teams keep up with them on the scoreboard. X may have the best chance because their passing offense (with yet another D1 QB) matches up well against Elder's weakness.

On another note, I would be STUNNED if the 1st round is not all chalk, with X, Fairfield, Colerain, and Elder all winning, setting up Elder-X and Fairfield-Colerain 2nd round games. And please please please let this doubleheader be played at Nippert.

Agreed. La Salle had the defense to at least slow the Panthers down. West does not.
West is actually very good on defense, particularly in the front seven. You can hit big plays on them though, and Elder will. West, like a lot of other teams, simply doesn't have the offense to keep pace with Elder. I can see West holding Elder in check early, but Elder will hit enough big plays to make it comfortable.

Who do you think is better? Hoban, Massillon, or Toledo Central Catholic? I would take Lasalle over them because of their defense. Plus, they are going to cruise through Region 8, whereas Hoban and Massillon will have to play each other in Region 5, and Central Catholic has a couple of tricky games in their region.

Who do you think is better? Hoban, Massillon, or Toledo Central Catholic? I would take Lasalle over them because of their defense. Plus, they are going to cruise through Region 8, whereas Hoban and Massillon will have to play each other in Region 5, and Central Catholic has a couple of tricky games in their region.

I guess I've been susceptible to the "Hoban is unbeatable" Kool Aid. But I'm very hopeful for La Salle. This could be a fun month or so.

I also don't think the Region 4 champ is going to win the state this year. Mentor and Ed's are a cut above.

I'm going with Elder. They are the one team that can consistently score. Their season low of 25 points led to their two losses against Ed's and Lasalle, very likely the D1 and D2 state champions this year. Luebbe is probably the best dual-threat QB in the state. Even though he only went 4/14 for 60 yards in the game against X, he ran 21 times for 236 yards. He's thrown for over 2,064 yards at 8.6 ypa and ran for 1,099 yards at 8.2 ypa. The fewest yards Elder has gained in a game this season has been 305 against Indy Cathedral. Meanwhile, Fairfield's offense stalled out for only 16 points against Springfield, 20 against Lakota East, and 10 against Colerain. Colerain only put up 14 against X, 17 against Hamilton, and 16 against Fairfield. X had 21 against Colerain, 15 against Lasalle, and 13 against Iggy. Yes, Elder's defense isn't that good, particularly in the secondary, but I have a hard time seeing the other teams keep up with them on the scoreboard. X may have the best chance because their passing offense (with yet another D1 QB) matches up well against Elder's weakness.

On another note, I would be STUNNED if the 1st round is not all chalk, with X, Fairfield, Colerain, and Elder all winning, setting up Elder-X and Fairfield-Colerain 2nd round games. And please please please let this doubleheader be played at Nippert.
I will add a please onto that.

I know I sound like a homer, but Colerain has improved vastly in the past few weeks and the way they played at Fairfield last friday looked like the Colerain I'm used to watching. The GCL teams look strong, but seem up and down from week to week. I think it's a coin toss, but I'm betting my Cardinals will emerge on top...time will tell!
I only watched a bit of the second half on the YouTube broadcast and they obviously got the win, but do you think things turn out differently if McClain doesn't get hurt? I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have at least put one more TD on the board if he was 100%. Makes me a little concerned.

lotr10, I hope Jutan McClain is healthy. That could be a huge factor in your game. The Hamilton defense is not bad.
Yep he did not play much after the injury...If he is not playing or see limited action an upset is possible...

I think the back end defense is better than they get credit for. Plus if the front can get pressure it will make their job a lot easier.

I'm not sure about he QB and 3 fumbles/picks per game stat (maybe you are combining all three QBs that have started this year?) GMC site has him with 5 INTs this year overall, so I think this is a stretch. Plus, O line is better now that they have finally made a change at center permanent.

No clue what you mean with sword comment......you are expecting an offensive change in week 11? And every game matters.....not going 10-0 is underachieving.

Defense gave up some big plays against Princeton also.....and a very winnable game.

Last two games Princeton passed for 228 yds and Middletown for 159 yds against West. I believe with Elder's balanced offense, Luebbe averaging 206 passing yds per game against better opponents then West has played this year he will expose pass defense. I agree "if" front can put pressure on Luebbe it will help make DB's job easier. GMC website have Mitch with 5 INTs and 17 fumbles in 8 games, that's a lot for one QB, way more than any other QB in GMC.......not too many coaches would look the other way? An 8-2 record was very realistic this year for talent this team has. I agree defense gave up some big plays against Princeton but the offense set the tone for that game early with Mitch throwing INT and fumble, both leading to early TD's for Princeton in first qtr. At halftime West only TD score was a pick six. Late in 4th qtr. West did score two offensive TD's to make it close, making final score a little deceiving (close game). Going forward West will keep winning at 7 games or more per year with Bolden but I do not see West getting over hump with Colerain. They proved this year it wasn't Bolden why they win, it's their culture/system. Just like when Combs left, Colerain will continue their winning tradition without Bolden plus passing of their LEVY last night helped to secured that!

Last two games Princeton passed for 228 yds and Middletown for 159 yds against West. I believe with Elder's balanced offense, Luebbe averaging 206 passing yds per game against better opponents then West has played this year he will expose pass defense. I agree "if" front can put pressure on Luebbe it will help make DB's job easier. GMC website have Mitch with 5 INTs and 17 fumbles in 8 games, that's a lot for one QB, way more than any other QB in GMC.......not too many coaches would look the other way? An 8-2 record was very realistic this year for talent this team has. I agree defense gave up some big plays against Princeton but the offense set the tone for that game early with Mitch throwing INT and fumble, both leading to early TD's for Princeton in first qtr. At halftime West only TD score was a pick six. Late in 4th qtr. West did score two offensive TD's to make it close, making final score a little deceiving (close game). Going forward West will keep winning at 7 games or more per year with Bolden but I do not see West getting over hump with Colerain. They proved this year it wasn't Bolden why they win, it's their culture/system. Just like when Combs left, Colerain will continue their winning tradition without Bolden plus passing of their LEVY last night helped to secured that!

To be fair, those fumbles show the issues they have had at center and not a QB. Every high/low or bad snap goes against the QB and a fumble doesn't mean a lost fumble. So it's not 17 turnovers....

West has been 2-8, 2-8 and 4-6 previous three years so 7-3 with and playoffs seems pretty good. Coach Bolden left Colerain in a great place and that's wonderful, but I'd be careful saying it wasn't him. This year Colerain scored 278 points...526, 485, 389 last three years. 278 is lowest point total in 15 years.

Elder is a good team, no doubt about that....and coverage of that above.

I only watched a bit of the second half on the YouTube broadcast and they obviously got the win, but do you think things turn out differently if McClain doesn't get hurt? I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have at least put one more TD on the board if he was 100%. Makes me a little concerned.
But how did McClain get hurt? A swarming Colerain defense probably contributed to the injury. Now I'm not promoting injury to opponents of Colerain, but a stout defense sometimes causes that.