Who wins Region 4?

Who will emerge from Region 4 and represent SWO in the semis?

• St. Xavier

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Fairfield

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Colerain

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Elder

Votes: 40 39.2%
  • Lakota West

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Princeton

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Hamilton

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mason

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spille

Please use this thread to discuss all things Region 4. Include thoughts, analysis, predictions and game updates.

Does anyone see any upsets in round 1? I think Fairfield and Elder roll. X and Colerain could be pushed. But in the end, I see all home teams winning next week.

Does anyone see any upsets in round 1? I think Fairfield and Elder roll. X and Colerain could be pushed. But in the end, I see all home teams winning next week.
What is McClain’s status? FF may get all that they want, especially after the physically and mentally tough game that they just lost.

What is McClain’s status? FF may get all that they want, especially after the physically and mentally tough game that they just lost.
I agree with home team winning in round 1. Round 2 may be much different, X & FF will push hard to overturn earlier losses! I will still go with Elder and their wake up call Friday night to win R4.

I’m honestly not sure who wins the region. More wide open than it’s been in a long time.

For this week, I think Elder wins easily against West. I could definitely see FF suffering from the Colerain hangover especially if McClain isn’t 100%. Mason can throw the ball which is X’s biggest weakness on defense so that could get interesting. And you never know which Princeton team will show up.

Do they still split the divisions to play on Friday and Saturday or all the games played on Friday now?

After watching the FF-Colerain game it amazes me that neither team can throw the ball effectively and that neither team is very imaginative in their play calls. This may work against average teams that dont have the same athleticism, but probably explains why neither team makes it out of the region very often. For instance, FF threw a nice pop pass to their big TE early in the game and never went back to that again. Second half was like the same two plays ran over and over by both teams. That being said, I think the winner of their round two matchup has a good chance because their defenses are better than X Or Elder.

Honestly...flip a coin. It's going to be very exciting either way. If I had to rank them in likely order of winning, without looking too deeply into anything, I'd say....

St. Xavier
Fairfield
Colerain
Elder
Mason
Princeton
Hamilton
Lakota West

-CardinalsFan

-X beats Mason by 3 TDs
-Fairfield gets all it can handle with Hamilton but wins by a score
-Colerain wins by 2-3 scores after an extremely tight/competitive 1st half
-Elder beats West by 2-3 scores, tight 1st Qtr, Elder puts it out of reach in the 3rd

After that, pick out of a hat, any of the 4 could come out of the region at that point.

Lakota West

As much I as I would love to see this happen West strength all year has been it's defense against the run. Against passing teams their defense has been exposed. With Elder's high power passing game complimented with a rushing game they will move ball at will and West defense will tire early due to lack of production from their offense. I expect Elder defense to force multiple turnovers, freshman QB Bolden is averaging 3 fumbles/picks per game. I'm hoping West can keep this interesting till at least halftime but I do not expect change with current offensive scheme/personnel so this will be a blow out! Live by the sword die by the sword will be Bolden's game plan as he doesn't need this game, he's already a winner in eyes of West administration with just getting West a playoff game. Congrats to Coach Bolden for turning program around this year but West did under achieve this year. They should have finished 8-2 instead of 7-3. Three fumbles and a pick in Princeton game was the different, a game West should have won giving them one victory over a team with winning record this year. The lost against FF was legit however five offensive fumbles didn't help that one and the lost against LaSalle was legit also with one offensive fumble and one pick. West needs to clean up fumbles and picks to make this game remotely close.

I know I sound like a homer, but Colerain has improved vastly in the past few weeks and the way they played at Fairfield last friday looked like the Colerain I'm used to watching. The GCL teams look strong, but seem up and down from week to week. I think it's a coin toss, but I'm betting my Cardinals will emerge on top...time will tell!

This is such a weird year in the region. I thought Elder was the class of the region, but after the Lasalle loss, not so sure. X has been very good at times (Mostly in the second half of games), but they have been beat by the big play all year, just not a lot of sustained drives against them. From what I’ve seen of Hamilton they have a good defense, and of Fairfield is that one dimensional, especially if McLain is hurting, that could be an upset. Colerain can be best, especially if they get down early like they did against X.
Unless they’re very talented, one dimensional teams don’t last in November. If Elder’s defense can hold up, they have the most balance. If they ended up against Mentor in the final, I’d take the over.

I voted Elder, but really any of Elder, X, Colerain appears to be a toss-up. I am curious to know: If your team wins R4, who are you hoping you face from R1 in the state finals--Ed's or Mentor?

As much I as I would love to see this happen West strength all year has been it's defense against the run. Against passing teams their defense has been exposed. With Elder's high power passing game complimented with a rushing game they will move ball at will and West defense will tire early due to lack of production from their offense. I expect Elder defense to force multiple turnovers, freshman QB Bolden is averaging 3 fumbles/picks per game. I'm hoping West can keep this interesting till at least halftime but I do not expect change with current offensive scheme/personnel so this will be a blow out! Live by the sword die by the sword will be Bolden's game plan as he doesn't need this game, he's already a winner in eyes of West administration with just getting West a playoff game. Congrats to Coach Bolden for turning program around this year but West did under achieve this year. They should have finished 8-2 instead of 7-3. Three fumbles and a pick in Princeton game was the different, a game West should have won giving them one victory over a team with winning record this year. The lost against FF was legit however five offensive fumbles didn't help that one and the lost against LaSalle was legit also with one offensive fumble and one pick. West needs to clean up fumbles and picks to make this game remotely close.

I think the back end defense is better than they get credit for. Plus if the front can get pressure it will make their job a lot easier.

I'm not sure about he QB and 3 fumbles/picks per game stat (maybe you are combining all three QBs that have started this year?) GMC site has him with 5 INTs this year overall, so I think this is a stretch. Plus, O line is better now that they have finally made a change at center permanent.

No clue what you mean with sword comment......you are expecting an offensive change in week 11? And every game matters.....not going 10-0 is underachieving.

Defense gave up some big plays against Princeton also.....and a very winnable game.

Just curious as to what you have seen from Princeton that makes you think they are going to upset Colerain?

As a Viking I haven't seen much that I would pick them over Colerain. Princeton has the talent to compete with any team in the region, but the coaching has been suspect and they sat their best QB most of the season for whatever reason. I think Durham would of made the 1st game agaisnt Colerain a lot closer because of his passing. But you never know