• Sycamore Mohawk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Patrick Henry

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jackson Center

Votes: 10 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I tend to think the favorite is "too talented" to have anyone come within 15-20 points here, but I'm also old enough to remember the prior times where the supposed overwhelming favorite whether Richmond Heights or Cornerstone Christian came up short in the last handful of years.

It's really hard to win state titles against good teams that are really well coached, and in hostile environments. Make no mistake there is an enormous advantage for schools that bring the whole town having the games at UD Arena as compared to at the cavernous Schott. The atmosphere is a lot rowdier and Richmond Heights judging by the bracket is going to see two opponents (Jackson Center/Russia and Crestview/Marion Local) that will have a few thousand fans in a packed lower bowl at UD Arena.

Last edited:
You must have seen Hess on an off night. He has handled the press just fine his entire career and with his penetration and passing, has picked apart defenses his entire career. Very few teams press Marion Local when he is on the court. When they do press, he typically sends about a 3/4 court pass down the court for a lay up or a 2 on 1 fast break opportunity. He leads the MAC in assists and is about a 75% free throw shooter averaging about 9 points per game. He is definitely a true point guard. If the MAC Coaches just thought he was only an athlete, I am guessing that hey wouldn't have voted him first team All MAC as there were plenty of good guards to choose from this year.
Easy to lead a conference in assists when you have a 6’8 and 6’9 guy. Who was the third tellest in the conference? Was the player even 6’5?

Easy to lead a conference in assists when you have a 6’8 and 6’9 guy. Who was the third tellest in the conference? Was the player even 6’5?
iT’s EaSy To PaSs To TaLl GuYz
Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Lazy take. Nobody else on the squad has more than 50 assists. Hess runs the offense for ML. If you watched the games, you would see the disfunction and lackluster motion when he’s not in.

Richmond Heights outscored CCA 38-12 in the third quarter....38 points.....that is a game total for some teams.
Russia 41 Troy Christian 33

They outscored TC by 5 in a quarter. Russia and JC are really good defensively, but neither of them are slowing down RH.

MAC Player of the Year Conner Stonebreaker from Versailles is 6'8. The MAC scoring leader, Ft. Recovery's Cale Rammel is 6'5. Every MAC team outside of DSJ had a starter that was at least 6'4 or 6'5. ML played 3 games at the end of the season without their leading scorer Knapke and he was very limited physically until last night against Patrick Henry with a shoulder and ankle injury.

I think JC's style of play will give them the best shot against Richmond Heights.

They have good guards with Fark and Mullenhour and they have a 6'5 kid who can handle it some. They will make Richmond Heights defend for long periods of time, and grind things out.

Russia wants to run up and down. Their guards are not as good as JC, however they do have more size than JC and overall are more athletic. I just don't see them hanging in there with Richmond Heights.

Marion Local has a bunch of size, but they don't have a true point guard. Hess kid is athletic, but doesn't handle it well. Mescher is a great shooter, but doesn't handle it much. They don't have a third guard to handle pressure.

Regardless if anyone can stay within 15 points I think it is a positive for d4 basketball this year.
A good accurate post.

You must have seen Hess on an off night. He has handled the press just fine his entire career and with his penetration and passing, has picked apart defenses his entire career. Very few teams press Marion Local when he is on the court. When they do press, he typically sends about a 3/4 court pass down the court for a lay up or a 2 on 1 fast break opportunity. He leads the MAC in assists and is about a 75% free throw shooter averaging about 9 points per game. He is definitely a true point guard. If the MAC Coaches just thought he was only an athlete, I am guessing that hey wouldn't have voted him first team All MAC as there were plenty of good guards to choose from this year.
Drake Ahrens a frosh for Versailles led the MAC in assists, Hess was 2nd.

Winner of Russia ve Richmind Heights wins it all . I do not think Russia can hold RH to 25 like they did Jackson Center tonight.

I will say 52- 24 RH.
Great story for Russia! They lost their head coach Dave Borchers in a car accident before the season started. So glad they were able to make it to the final four. A true “community” school. It’s a shame the Cuyahoga County all-stars are next. Let’s hope for a miracle!

Great story for Russia. Unfortunately I do not think their style of play will work with Heights. Once they fall behind they will be forced to come out of their comfort zone. Heights is long and quick and very explosive. It will be interesting.

Winner of Russia ve Richmind Heights wins it all . I do not think Russia can hold RH to 25 like they did Jackson Center tonight.

I will say 52- 24 RH.
It’s not going to to happen
Richmond Heights is blowing teams out

It’s not going to to happen
Richmond Heights is blowing teams out
Only Mogadore minus their 2 bigs (out with injuries) managed to stay close. Down 8 early 4th yet Heights still won by 20. That's as close as anyone has got in this D4 tournament. Heights will roll to title I believe but go Russia!

Great story for Russia. Unfortunately I do not think their style of play will work with Heights. Once they fall behind they will be forced to come out of their comfort zone. Heights is long and quick and very explosive. It will be interesting.
If Russia holds the ball out top will Heights go after them or stay back near the key?

I recall a sectional game just a couple years ago where Russia held the ball while still being down. I dont think Russia has much of a shot at beating them but holding the ball and keeping them limited to 40 -50 seems possible.

They will come after them. Heights is long and quick. I'm sure they will force Russia to pass a lot to avoid the 5sec call. Once Heights gets the lead Russia can hold all they want.

If Russia holds the ball out top will Heights go after them or stay back near the key?

I recall a sectional game just a couple years ago where Russia held the ball while still being down. I dont think Russia has much of a shot at beating them but holding the ball and keeping them limited to 40 -50 seems possible.
If RH is at talented as some posters claim they are I expect them to pressure Russia once the frogs cross the HC line if not FC pressure.