Who will Cincinnati get for head coach?

Feels like they should’ve had someone by now. Feel like the AD should’ve kept a running list of candidates that he could’ve called as soon as Fickell told him. Include the internal guys you believe deserved a shot. This couldn’t have been a huge surprise

This job opening has once again illustrated the increasing dividing line between the Southeast and the North in college football.

We’ve seen two presumptive top candidates — Tom Herman and Alex Golesh — take lesser jobs than UC to live and work in the South. Part of it probably has to do with the probability that the new coach might struggle early on to cut the mustard in the New Big 12.

But more so I believe it’s so these guys can get intimate knowledge of the Southern recruiting scene, and hopefully amass a good enough record in the meantime, to ultimately be a prime candidate for a future SEC head coaching job.

By coaching UC, are coaches resigning themselves to the fact that their next post-UC step will have to be to the north? Mark Dantonio, Brian Kelly and Luke Fickell all left UC for a Midwest job. Butch Jones was the only one who went South to a desperate, flailing Tennessee program at the time — and it didn’t really go well for him there.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

This job opening has once again illustrated the increasing dividing line between the Southeast and the North in college football.

We’ve seen two presumptive top candidates — Tom Herman and Alex Golesh — take lesser jobs than UC to live and work in the South. Part of it probably has to do with the probability that the new coach might struggle early on to cut the mustard in the New Big 12.

But more so I believe it’s so these guys can get intimate knowledge of the Southern recruiting scene, and hopefully amass a good enough record in the meantime, to ultimately be a prime candidate for a future SEC head coaching job.

By coaching UC, are coaches resigning themselves to the fact that their next post-UC step will have to be to the north? Mark Dantonio, Brian Kelly and Luke Fickell all left UC for a Midwest job. Butch Jones was the only one who went South to a desperate, flailing Tennessee program at the time — and it didn’t really go well for him there.

Fun post if you make up facts lol. Neither Herman nor Golesh were offered.

Cunningham doesn’t know what he’s doing then.

A retread who flamed out at a school in the same league the Bearcats are going to but with superior in state talent, history, money, support, facilities, stadium, etc?

I think Golesh can be a good coach but he doesn’t even call plays at Tenn. Kind of hard to evaluate what he does. Good recruiter it seems. How much is supplemented by NIL?

A retread who flamed out at a school in the same league the Bearcats are going to but with superior in state talent, history, money, support, facilities, stadium, etc?

I think Golesh can be a good coach but he doesn’t even call plays at Tenn. Kind of hard to evaluate what he does. Good recruiter it seems. How much is supplemented by NIL?
I think it would be reasonable to suggest Herman marginally underperformed in his short stay at Texas but was a victim of outsized expectations at the same time. He put them into the top 10 in 2018 and beat UGA, but couldn’t get them into the elite club in the time he was given there. He still won every year (and won all four bowl games).

Given that he has family connections here and should know Ohio from his time at Ohio State, plus his overall coaching record and relatively young age still, I think Herman would have been a fine choice to lead UC with a promising chance for Big 12 success.

I am much less enthusiastic about Satterfield’s chances.

Wow. Scott Satterfield? Lol. He was nearly run out of Louisville early in the year, but finished stronger. Seems like a reach to me. It’s almost as if they didn’t move fast enough on other candidates and had to panic hire. Or perhaps it’s not as attractive a job as some thought moving into the Big 12. Hope he surprises, as Ohio CFB is better when the Bearcats are good.

Don’t think a move to the Big 12 will be easy. WVU had a much better program, facilities and support than UC and they have struggled in the Big 12, largely due to it being a terrible cultural fit for their Florida-centric recruiting.

Word is that Louisville is flipping a gasket as they see UC a step down and they will be looking to make a big splash. Not that they were thrilled with the job Satterfield has done but they would have preferred to fired him then him leave for a program 100 miles away. The bank is now being opened for Jeff Brohm and he either gets a big bump at Purdue again or goes home. By the way the economics for Louisville football require a successful football team, their football stadium is new and seats 65K so they need that revenue stream as the ACC media rights is not that great. Might end up being a Deion situation where they make the deal then figure out how to pay for it later.

Word is that Louisville is flipping a gasket as they see UC a step down and they will be looking to make a big splash. Not that they were thrilled with the job Satterfield has done but they would have preferred to fired him then him leave for a program 100 miles away. The bank is now being opened for Jeff Brohm and he either gets a big bump at Purdue again or goes home. By the way the economics for Louisville football require a successful football team, their football stadium is new and seats 65K so they need that revenue stream as the ACC media rights is not that great. Might end up being a Deion situation where they make the deal then figure out how to pay for it later.
Not sure why Brohm turned them down the first time. Seems even less likely now that he would leave Purdue. Would certainly get a pay raise out of it, one would think

Not sure why Brohm turned them down the first time. Seems even less likely now that he would leave Purdue. Would certainly get a pay raise out of it, one would think
While I like Brohm at Purdue, he would also have to weigh the impacts of the 'new' Big Ten. His path to the playoffs is likely much easier at Louisville.

Wow. Scott Satterfield? Lol. He was nearly run out of Louisville early in the year, but finished stronger. Seems like a reach to me. It’s almost as if they didn’t move fast enough on other candidates and had to panic hire. Or perhaps it’s not as attractive a job as some thought moving into the Big 12. Hope he surprises, as Ohio CFB is better when the Bearcats are good.
Definitely feels like this.

While I like Brohm at Purdue, he would also have to weigh the impacts of the 'new' Big Ten. His path to the playoffs is likely much easier at Louisville.
What are his career goals? If it is to win titles and move up the coaching ladder then maybe Louisville is a better option as I think the ACC big boys are not as scary as the B1G big boys after adding USC. Now if his goals are quality of life and to have a less stressful gig then getting paid while at Purdue could be a great gig. Brohm is currently in the $5 million range with bonuses, Satterfield is leaving Louisville at $4 million including bonuses. I have to think it will take $6-$8 million for Louisville to get Brohm, I can see Louisville doing that and will Purdue match?

Wonder how much UC will pay Satterfield? I think Louisville has a much better financial picture so this may be a comfort move on his part...

What are his career goals? If it is to win titles and move up the coaching ladder then maybe Louisville is a better option as I think the ACC big boys are not as scary as the B1G big boys after adding USC. Now if his goals are quality of life and to have a less stressful gig then getting paid while at Purdue could be a great gig. Brohm is currently in the $5 million range with bonuses, Satterfield is leaving Louisville at $4 million including bonuses. I have to think it will take $6-$8 million for Louisville to get Brohm, I can see Louisville doing that and will Purdue match?
The competition for D1 jobs has never been more fierce. Even getting a MAC or Sun Belt job is a big deal now. I suspect some coaches are looking at Kirk Ferentz, Mike Gundy and a few others and thinking maybe it’s not such a dumb idea to coach 30 years in a lower expectation location and be valued than it is to chase those “destination” jobs where anything less than a natty and you are a bum? I’m starting to think Matt Campbell might be thinking that way, as he’s the man in Ames, IA and has seemingly not pursued greener pastures when they were there for him.

Having listened to some people who cover the sport, it’s not that uncommon. What is uncommon is saying that out loud.

He's not expected to get the program into play-offs unless he switches to b-ball. He's expected to win 7-8 games, a historically rare thing at Purdue. Purdue being one of the few programs that operates in the black makes keeping Brohm economically happy pretty easy.

He's not expected to get the program into play-offs unless he switches to b-ball. He's expected to win 7-8 games, a historically rare thing at Purdue. Purdue being one of the few programs that operates in the black makes keeping Brohm economically happy pretty easy.
So you're saying we'll never see the 'World's Largest Bass Drum' gracing the sidelines of a CFP sideline?