Who will Cincinnati get for head coach?

I love Prime as much as the next guy, but UC would run into the huge risk of a possible Tuberville 2.0 with him.
There's a big risk for sure, but Tuberville's biggest problem was his complacency. I don't see that with Deion. Definitely a risk though as he likely would recruit the south moreso than the areas around Cincinnati since that's what he knows right now. So in that sense, yes it could be like Tuberville.

I love Prime as much as the next guy, but UC would run into the huge risk of a possible Tuberville 2.0 with him.
I was really being facetious here. Lol. But they would seem to have a fair amount of options available to them. I do think Tom Herman is an intriguing name. I mean, he was born there - FWIW. But I would argue that this is a more attractive job than Colorado right now.

1. Kerry Coombs should be the coach. It wouldn't be a stepping stone for him. That guy may be the best recruiter in the nation, and absolutely loves Cincinnati. He would keep the job for 8+ years.

2. Jesse Minter would do great. He also has Cincy connections with his dad coaching at UC and Jesse played D3 at Mount St. Joseph University in Cincy. He would bring in some other great Cincy coaches too that recruit this area well..... P.J. Volker who is LB coach at Navy and played with Jesse at MSJ. They have also coached at the college level together. I could also see him bring in Jim Hilvert, HC at D3 Baldwin Wallace, another excellent recruiter. The downside is I would see this as a stepping stone for Minter.

3. Tom Herman, I don't think he would be here 3 seasons before moving on so I don't necessarily like it, though I think he would win.

4. Vince Kehres..... The current DC at Toledo. He's done a decent job at a place that is next to impossible to win at in Toledo, and he was the previous HC at D3 Powerhouse Mount Union. He can definitely recruit Ohio. In his 7 seasons as HC he amassed a winning percentage of .941 which is the most of any college coach that has at least 50 games coached.

5. Deion - No chance. Deion did not have a great time when he played in Cincy. He tried to kill himself by driving into the Ohio River and also dragged a police officer on his motor scooter. I don't think he wants any of that to come back up.

6. Urban Meyer.....Just don't even entertain this idea, I could see this going south very fast, think Tuberville.

1. Kerry Coombs should be the coach. It wouldn't be a stepping stone for him. That guy may be the best recruiter in the nation, and absolutely loves Cincinnati. He would keep the job for 8+ years.

2. Jesse Minter would do great. He also has Cincy connections with his dad coaching at UC and Jesse played D3 at Mount St. Joseph University in Cincy. He would bring in some other great Cincy coaches too that recruit this area well..... P.J. Volker who is LB coach at Navy and played with Jesse at MSJ. They have also coached at the college level together. I could also see him bring in Jim Hilvert, HC at D3 Baldwin Wallace, another excellent recruiter. The downside is I would see this as a stepping stone for Minter.

3. Tom Herman, I don't think he would be here 3 seasons before moving on so I don't necessarily like it, though I think he would win.
In regards to Coombs, I understand he's gone through the ranks and bid his time so to speak, but just because he would stick around (I agree that he would) and because he loves the city doesn't mean you just hand it to him. If he does get the job, would like to see some really solid coordinators come in to handle the offense and defense, allowing Coombs to continue coaching DBs or STs. Maybe that's not fair based on his time as DC at OSU, but just some thoughts.

I don't have a problem with guys potentially leaving. UC isn't going to be that type of spot right now or in the near future. When they've gone that route, they've had success - Dantonio, Kelly, Jones, and now Fickell. UC can succeed in football just the same as XU basketball has when their coaches have moved on. I would prefer an up-and-coming coach like Minter to a guy like Herman who flamed out at Texas, but I agree Herman would likely find a way to win here. Also agree that he wouldn't be here very long if he does win.

In regards to Coombs, I understand he's gone through the ranks and bid his time so to speak, but just because he would stick around (I agree that he would) and because he loves the city doesn't mean you just hand it to him. If he does get the job, would like to see some really solid coordinators come in to handle the offense and defense, allowing Coombs to continue coaching DBs or STs. Maybe that's not fair based on his time as DC at OSU, but just some thoughts.

I don't have a problem with guys potentially leaving. UC isn't going to be that type of spot right now or in the near future. When they've gone that route, they've had success - Dantonio, Kelly, Jones, and now Fickell. UC can succeed in football just the same as XU basketball has when their coaches have moved on. I would prefer an up-and-coming coach like Minter to a guy like Herman who flamed out at Texas, but I agree Herman would likely find a way to win here. Also agree that he wouldn't be here very long if he does win.
Kerry has been successful in every position he's had except for his short time as DC in Columbus. We don't know that whole story though. Maybe Coach Day was telling him what types of schemes to run, or what he wanted to see. It's been very apparent he doesn't game plan well, and Coombs became the easy scapegoat. Or maybe Coombs learned a lot from that experience. All I know is the guy is a winner, period. He has coached big time college ball and in the NFL with success. Lastly, whoever is brought in will need solid coordinators, I don't know why that keeps being said only with Coombs. That's a no brainer. UC coordinators were not that impressive this season.

Kerry has been successful in every position he's had except for his short time as DC in Columbus. We don't know that whole story though. Maybe Coach Day was telling him what types of schemes to run, or what he wanted to see. It's been very apparent he doesn't game plan well, and Coombs became the easy scapegoat. Or maybe Coombs learned a lot from that experience. All I know is the guy is a winner, period. He has coached big time college ball and in the NFL with success. Lastly, whoever is brought in will need solid coordinators, I don't know why that keeps being said only with Coombs. That's a no brainer. UC coordinators were not that impressive this season.
We do. He didn’t. Great DB coach, it’s the only coaching spot he’s had success behind HS. It isn’t a coincidence no one else has tried to make him anything other than a DB coach.

Because he’ll be a first time HC with no experience on the offensive side and was a failure as a DC. No one else listed has that resume.

4. Vince Kehres..... The current DC at Toledo. He's done a decent job at a place that is next to impossible to win at in Toledo, and he was the previous HC at D3 Powerhouse Mount Union. He can definitely recruit Ohio. In his 7 seasons as HC he amassed a winning percentage of .941 which is the most of any college coach that has at least 50 games coached.

5. Deion - No chance. Deion did not have a great time when he played in Cincy. He tried to kill himself by driving into the Ohio River and also dragged a police officer on his motor scooter. I don't think he wants any of that to come back up.

6. Urban Meyer.....Just don't even entertain this idea, I could see this going south very fast, think Tuberville.
Meyer is not going to coach UC. However, he would win right now as he has done wherever he has gone people might not like Meyer the person, but he is a great HC.

I disagree, Cincinnati is going to need a coach that can nationally recruit. You are going from playing cupcakes, like USF, Temple, Navy to playing schools like Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas State. Cincinnati cannot just hope to be successful by tapping into Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. They need someone who can tap into Texas and the midwest. This is going to be a difficult transistion, one that might stunt the program for many years because I think they made this decision believing they would have Fickell long term.

We do. He didn’t. Great DB coach, it’s the only coaching spot he’s had success behind HS. It isn’t a coincidence no one else has tried to make him anything other than a DB coach.

Because he’ll be a first time HC with no experience on the offensive side and was a failure as a DC. No one else listed has that resume.
So in 4 seasons, Ryan Day is on his 6th Defensive Coordinator. That to me screams that Day doesn't know what he wants on the defensive side of the ball. It shouldn't be that difficult to find and keep a coordinator at OSU. Seems like a leadership problem and not a defensive coordinator problem.

I disagree, Cincinnati is going to need a coach that can nationally recruit. You are going from playing cupcakes, like USF, Temple, Navy to playing schools like Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas State. Cincinnati cannot just hope to be successful by tapping into Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. They need someone who can tap into Texas and the midwest. This is going to be a difficult transistion, one that might stunt the program for many years because I think they made this decision believing they would have Fickell long term.
I agree that the transition may be difficult, especially if they don't get the right hire. But it is going to very hard getting Texas recruits. UC should continue to build it's foundation on locking up local talent within a 150 mile radius around Cincy...... Tons of talent there. Keep those kids from going to OSU, UK, etc. Getting kids from the rest of the midwest shouldn't be that hard since Cincinnati as a city has a lot to offer that most of the midwest does not.

This and this might have been why Fickell jumped ship. Big dog in AAC to an also ran in big 12.

I cannot imagine Urban Meyer would be a good hire, anywhere. His time has come and gone. He's left every job with issues on character and off field stuff. You'd have to really be desperate to bring him in.
LOL SEC schools give coaches 2nd, 3rd chances. Just look at Bruce Pearl at Auburn in bball. Meyer has never had any serious NCAA investigations regarding recruiting might not like Meyer the person, but he is an excellent football coach just look at his overall record including 7 - 0 vs TTUN and 2 - 2 vs saban and 3 national championships. Meyer could have almost any football opening he would want.

LOL SEC schools give coaches 2nd, 3rd chances. Just look at Bruce Pearl at Auburn in bball. Meyer has never had any serious NCAA investigations regarding recruiting might not like Meyer the person, but he is an excellent football coach just look at his overall record including 7 - 0 vs TTUN and 2 - 2 vs saban and 3 national championships. Meyer could have almost any football opening he would want.
You're not wrong, heck Hugh Freeze just was hired by Auburn, a pretty good job in an elite conference. Read up on his past. I just think Urban's ship has sailed, he's not a young guy and I just don't know that he is into the NIL, transfer portal kids.
I'll spare my typical rant on WHY Urban was 7-0 vs. Michigan and dominated the big ten. Two of his natty's were in Florida, a much, MUCH more difficult task. He left both jobs amid controversy. And what ever happend to his "health" issues?

This and this might have been why Fickell jumped ship. Big dog in AAC to an also ran in big 12.
We can say all kinds of things about why Fickell left, but he got about a 60% pay increase going to Wisconsin. There is no way any human could turn that down. Now, the MAJOR job for Fickell is can he somehow change Wisconsin from a standard grind it out offense to a passing offense. In 2022, you simply HAVE to be able to throw the football to have ultimate success. Wisconsin football is that solid investment, not high risk, not bottom out, between 6-10 wins a seasons, but they simply don't have the horses to matchup with the top 10 programs in the country. Can Fickell recruit the athletes needed to get that going at Wisconsin?

I probably would not understate the playoff expansion as being a factor in Fickell jumping ship now, although I'm sure pay was a major factor.

He probably could have had a couple better jobs (namely Notre Dame) last year, but admirably stayed to coach UC in the playoff. Though the available jobs this year (Auburn, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc.) are not as good as what was on the market last year, IMO they're good enough to be playoff caliber in an expanded playoff if you're good.

In the near future that's quickly coming 10-2 and possibly 9-3 (under the right circumstances) in the Big Ten will get you in the playoff. The Badgers have won anywhere from 9-11 games in 13 of the last 18 seasons counting bowls. Even in a "better" Big Ten with USC I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that if you ran a good program at Wisconsin you could go 9-3/10-2 regular season every few years and get on the playoff bubble.

I probably would not understate the playoff expansion as being a factor in Fickell jumping ship now, although I'm sure pay was a major factor.

He probably could have had a couple better jobs (namely Notre Dame) last year, but admirably stayed to coach UC in the playoff. Though the available jobs this year (Auburn, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc.) are not as good as what was on the market last year, IMO they're good enough to be playoff caliber in an expanded playoff if you're good.

In the near future that's quickly coming 10-2 and possibly 9-3 (under the right circumstances) in the Big Ten will get you in the playoff. The Badgers have won anywhere from 9-11 games in 13 of the last 18 seasons counting bowls. Even in a "better" Big Ten with USC I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that if you ran a good program at Wisconsin you could go 9-3/10-2 regular season every few years and get on the playoff bubble.

With the Badgers' recent "Buffalo Bills-like" track record in the Big Ten title game, I'm sure a playoff berth (even in an expanded field) would light a fire under that program that could sustain them for a long time.

It'll be interesting to see if they can regain the edge they used to have on the rest of the Big Ten West.

So in 4 seasons, Ryan Day is on his 6th Defensive Coordinator. That to me screams that Day doesn't know what he wants on the defensive side of the ball. It shouldn't be that difficult to find and keep a coordinator at OSU. Seems like a leadership problem and not a defensive coordinator problem.
I mean if we’re including the guys who got a co- title for a pay bump, sure. But it does not change the fact he gave Coombs free reign and he was awful. There’s a reason he’s only ever been a DB coach beyond HS.

We can say all kinds of things about why Fickell left, but he got about a 60% pay increase going to Wisconsin. There is no way any human could turn that down. Now, the MAJOR job for Fickell is can he somehow change Wisconsin from a standard grind it out offense to a passing offense. In 2022, you simply HAVE to be able to throw the football to have ultimate success. Wisconsin football is that solid investment, not high risk, not bottom out, between 6-10 wins a seasons, but they simply don't have the horses to matchup with the top 10 programs in the country. Can Fickell recruit the athletes needed to get that going at Wisconsin?
Fickell struck while the iron was hot however it's easier to win in the Big Ten west even with the addition of UCLA and USC than with UC in Big 12.

Bingo.

I mean if we’re including the guys who got a co- title for a pay bump, sure. But it does not change the fact he gave Coombs free reign and he was awful. There’s a reason he’s only ever been a DB coach beyond HS.
Again, not true. He's been a Special Teams coordinator multiple times.

And has the defense really improved that much without him? I mean 7-5 Maryland didn't seem to have that much trouble with the Bucks defense.

Yep. Doesn't appear to have a sound, concrete philosophy let alone system defensively. I think a large part of Coombs issue is he was tasked with running a system he didn't really grasp at the needed level (i.e. should not have been the DC with what was expected), a system not predicated on defensive beliefs but on what Ryan Day personally thought was hard to scheme against offensively.

Que @irish_buffalo "it's all about his passing schemes" lol. Increasingly looks to have at least some truth to it.

Last edited:
Tom Herman would be a good candidate for this job based on results and recruiting philosophy at Houston. He would understand the "backyard" recruiting strategy as being tantamount to maintaining a solid backbone for the program.

Again, not true. He's been a Special Teams coordinator multiple times.

And has the defense really improved that much without him? I mean 7-5 Maryland didn't seem to have that much trouble with the Bucks defense.
Secondary duties to his job as a DB coach. Does that somehow prove he has what it takes to be a competent DC, let alone HC?

If you have to ask, you clearly didn’t watch OSU this year, last year or both. If you didn’t, how can you have an informed opinion? If you don’t have an informed opinion, why are you voicing it? If you did watch both years, I question what you were watching.

Maryland doesn’t have 5 losses because of their offense. Let’s not even touch on the subject of using a one game sample to prove a point.

It’s very telling you’re arguing semantics instead of making the case for why he’d be a quality HC at a P5 program.

edit: to be clear I’m a huge Coombs fan. He just has a place in college football. He’s where he currently is. He’s hit his ceiling and that’s okay. He’s really, really good at what he does.

Last edited:
Tom Herman would be a good candidate for this job based on results and recruiting philosophy at Houston. He would understand the "backyard" recruiting strategy as being tantamount to maintaining a solid backbone for the program.
heard he took his name off the board for this job

Tom Herman is headed to FAU, per Bruce Feldman and Brett McMurphy.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …