Medina v St Ignatius

X v New Albany

D2

Lima Shawnee v Howland

Tipp City v Albany Alexander

D3

Ottawa Hills v Mooney

Mariemont v Wheelersburg

The safest picks are Tipp and Mariemont. Southeast district teams in regional and above play have historically struggled to win against teams from other districts.

Ignatius is in their seventh straight state semi, and for the fifth straight time they are meeting Medina. Medina has given up an absurd four total goals from 21 games; St. Ignatius has their own absurdity in that they have scored multiple goals in all but one of their 19 contests. (and it's 4+ in 14 of them)

Looking at the other D2 semi, Howland is undefeated and has given up six total goals in 21 games. The fact they beat Bay in the regional semi speaks for itself; clobbering Aurora and Chagrin in the post-season is also impressive.

Last edited:
I think the State Finals are (bold on who I think wins state):

D1
IGGY vs. St X

D2
Howland vs. Tipp City
- I am impressed with how well Tipp City has played this postseason. They had a weaker regular season because of conference only play, but have stepped up big time.

D3
Ottawa Hills vs. Mariemont
- Mariemont is definitely the best team in D3 this year. I think the toughest game they had all postseason they have already won. I streamed the Troy Christian game and I think if a team was going to get them it would have been Troy Christian.

D1 Iggy and X. Iggy wins

D2 Tipp and Shawnee. Tipp wins.

D3 Mariemont and Ottawa. Mariemont wins.

D3
Ottawa Hills vs. Mariemont
- Mariemont is definitely the best team in D3 this year. I think the toughest game they had all postseason they have already won. I streamed the Troy Christian game and I think if a team was going to get them it would have been Troy Christian.

I agree TC is likely the best team mariemont faced since districts but don't forget CCD took them to overtime a week before.

I have only really paid attention to D3 (and primarily the SW region), and Mariemont played phenomenally in the regional. But as I've watched videos from around the state, I'm impressed by the improvement in all Ohio areas. Wheelersburg deserves credit as an underrecognized team this season. Undefeated and untied as they prepare for the state semifinals is a major accomplishment, and I'm very curious to see how compete against a Mariemont team that has won 3 of its last 4 games by a single goal. Up north, Ottawa Hills have arguably been the best (non-Summit) D3 program over the past however many years (I was going to say 5, but they've really been strong for over a decade, reaching back to before the 2008 state title). Mooney is also really interesting to me, because they were a powerhouse in the first decade of this century...then seemed to have a rough time in the 2010's. There's a lot of confidence in Mariemont on this thread (my pick, too, and they're playing great; would take a tremendous effort by a strong team to beat them), but I still believe this is as open a D3 tournament as there's ever been. Really looking forward to the games this week.

Some funky stuff goin on with Mooney off the field too.

Mooney's been up in D2 more often than not in the 2010's, which could easily be the cause for them being less successful in terms of regional/state play.

Mooney's been up in D2 more often than not in the 2010's, which could easily be the cause for them being less successful in terms of regional/state play.
That's a good point, Bucksman, though they were in D2 for most of their great run in the early 2000's as well. 2002 state championship was in D2. The return to D3 probably is a major factor in reaching the state semis again (maybe a greater distinction between D2 and D3 in NE Ohio than other areas).

That's a good point, Bucksman, though they were in D2 for most of their great run in the early 2000's as well. 2002 state championship was in D2. The return to D3 probably is a major factor in reaching the state semis again (maybe a greater distinction between D2 and D3 in NE Ohio than other areas).
They were the D2 Runner-Up in 2004 and D3 Runner-Up in 2005 as well. So they have obviously had talent/coaches in the past. The GK in 2005 (may have been in 2004 as well because he was senior in '05) was lights out in the goal for them. Zach Hernan was a fabulous forward that went on to Louisville if I remember correctly.

Halftime scores:

St. Ignatius 0, Medina 0
St. Xavier 1, New Albany 0

Howland 1, Lima Shawnee 0

Mariemont 2, Wheelersburg 0 (late 1st)
Ottawa Hills 0, Mooney 0

Some funky stuff goin on with Mooney off the field too.

Still no decision but the kid is still playing

Stay tuned