Who is Probably THE best program to never win a playoff title?

It’s Massillon

Both historically- Most playoff wins without a title

And recently- 2 runner ups and 11 playoff wins the last 3 seasons.

Is there another team in the state with 11 playoff wins and no titles in any 3 year span? That would be interesting data.

It’s Massillon

Is there another team in the state with 11 playoff wins and no titles in any 3 year span? That would be interesting data.

Good points. Mentor being mentioned first is more Recent top division division bias I guess . That’s a lot of knocking on the trophy’s door . You would think Mr. Trophy would have become so exasperated he might have answered to make the noise stop at some point . Damn . The Chicago Cubs have even broken through .

I'd say:

1. Mentor
2. Huber Heights Wayne
3. Massillon Washington
4. Licking Valley
5. Cuyahoga Heights
6. Avon (home town bias pick)
Definitely Licking Valley and Cuyahoga Heights for smaller schools. Honorable mentions to Trimble and Thornville Sheridan.

Big schools: Dublin Coffman? Maybe Centerville?

Per the OHSAA website, here is the teams I saw with the most playoff appearances without a Playoff State Title:
***Team, Playoff Appearances, Playoff W-L-%, Playoff Runner Ups, Playoff Semifinalist***
Massillon Washington: 26 appearances, 39-26 60.00%, 5 Runner Up's - 13 Semifinalist
Akron Manchester: 25 appearances, 21-25 45.65%, 1 - 2
Covington: 23 appearances, 17-23 42.50%, 1 - 3
Solon: 22 appearances, 23-22 51.11%, 1 - 2
Cuyahoga Heights: 22 appearances, 29-22 56.86%, 2 - 4
Shadyside: 21 appearances, 32-21 60.38%, 2 - 4
Wayne Huber Heights: 21 appearances, 24-21 53.33%, 4 - 4
Thornville Sheridan: 20 appearances, 17-20 45.95%, 1 - 2
Dover: 20 appearances, 15-20 42.86%, 0 - 1
Licking Valley: 19 appearances, 34-19 64.15%, 3 - 8
Mentor: 19 appearances, 38-19 66.67%, 4 - 6
Dublin Coffman: 19 appearances, 22-19 53.66%, 0 - 2

The three on here that stick out to me is Akron Manchester, Licking Valley and Mentor. Each has/had a coach who either made the program and/or taken the program to another level. Two of them (Manchester & Mentor) the coach retired at the end of 2019 and the third (Licking Valley) lost in the state championship game in 2019. Hopefully the Licking Valley coach hangs in there and the Panthers get a state title.
Uniontown Lake is another one that should be on that list.

18 Appearances
20-18 playoff record
6 Time State Semi-Finalist
3 Time State Runner-ups

Reactions: bcw
It’s Massillon

Not exactly in keeping with the thread title of having never won a title but as soon as I saw your question I thought of this team. They won 12 playoff games in a three year span without winning a title in any of those three years. Can you name them?

Not really that tough a question since prior to 1999 it was impossible to win 11 playoff games in a thee year span without winning a title.

Glenville had some superior talent, but they won on superior athletic ability, which doesn't win DI, especially during those years. By the time they dropped to DII, the number of athletes had drastically lowered.

Not exactly in keeping with the thread title of having never won a title but as soon as I saw your question I thought of this team. They won 12 playoff games in a three year span without winning a title in any of those three years. Can you name them?

Not really that tough a question since prior to 1999 it was impossible to win 11 playoff games in a thee year span without winning a title.
Coldwater?

Coldwater?

That is correct. Good job.

The Cavaliers lost in the D5 final three consecutive years, in 2009 & 10 to Ursuline and in 2011 to Kirtland, so they posted a 12-3 playoff record in those 3 seasons but no title. Of course they won the title the next 4 years in a row.

Had there been a playoff pre 1972, Troy would have at least 1 or 2 state titles IMO. But they still sit at zero.
Mentor has gotta be the clear cut answer. Although some area teams to throw out include Wayne and Centerville.

I have Avon at:

13 appearances
23-13
5 state semifinals
1 state runner up

11 of the appearances have been since 2008. The other two were 1996 and 2004.

Avon has made the playoffs in D5, D4, D3, D2.

Anyone have statistics to back this up? Most playoff wins without a title? Best playoff win pct without a title? Most runners-up or final four and no title?

Anyone have statistics to back this up? Most playoff wins without a title? Best playoff win pct without a title? Most runners-up or final four and no title?
Here's the quick view of Tiger futility.
Per the OHSAA website, here is the teams I saw with the most playoff appearances without a Playoff State Title:
***Team, Playoff Appearances, Playoff W-L-%, Playoff Runner Ups, Playoff Semifinalist***
Massillon Washington: 26 appearances, 39-26 60.00%, 5 Runner Up's - 13 Semifinalist
Akron Manchester: 25 appearances, 21-25 45.65%, 1 - 2
Covington: 23 appearances, 17-23 42.50%, 1 - 3
Solon: 22 appearances, 23-22 51.11%, 1 - 2
Cuyahoga Heights: 22 appearances, 29-22 56.86%, 2 - 4
Shadyside: 21 appearances, 32-21 60.38%, 2 - 4
Wayne Huber Heights: 21 appearances, 24-21 53.33%, 4 - 4
Thornville Sheridan: 20 appearances, 17-20 45.95%, 1 - 2
Dover: 20 appearances, 15-20 42.86%, 0 - 1
Licking Valley: 19 appearances, 34-19 64.15%, 3 - 8
Mentor: 19 appearances, 38-19 66.67%, 4 - 6
Dublin Coffman: 19 appearances, 22-19 53.66%, 0 - 2

But they DID win the "Most Hated Team" poll that was held here. It was a runaway.
That should count for something.

Here's how pathetic your life is loser. You actually put credence in, and reference this idiotic poll on HERE, a high school web-site that I believe you actually started. For Christ's sake GROW UP and be a man. Oh, and get a job.

Here's how pathetic your life is loser. You actually put credence in, and reference this idiotic poll on HERE, a high school web-site that I believe you actually started. For Christ's sake GROW UP and be a man. Oh, and get a job.
Someone is a bit upset at that 0-26

Well, you fell for it; you opened the gates. Why does every provocation need a response? Your fellow fans were doing such a good job at ignoring the taunts. Oh well, another thread down the tube.

I'm actually less interested in his tantrum and more interested into insight why they have not been able to actually win a title? Is it coaching as someone pointed out with Glenville? Is it the burden of actually winning a playoff title? You can't deny that something is contributing to the lack being able to finish.