Who is Probably THE best program to never win a playoff title?

Mentor is the best program without a title

Massillon acts like they have won one, but facts are against them.

Here is a link to all the state titles in football that were earned on the field:

I get that there is some rivals type anger and overly emotional feelings towards Massillon out here . And while the fact that they haven't won a title since play-offs started in this state is accurate , lets not pretend that they wouldn't have won multiple most likely if the play-offs and title games were part of the landscape earlier. Yes they have had more than enough time to bag that title after the play-off format started . But lets not also not forget that in some years they were clearly better than others and have had some great teams .

I get that there is some rivals type anger and overly emotional feelings towards Massillon out here . And while the fact that they haven't won a title since play-offs started in this state is accurate , lets not pretend that they wouldn't have won multiple most likely if the play-offs and title games were part of the landscape earlier. Yes they have had more than enough time to bag that title after the play-off format started . But lets not also not forget that in some years they were clearly better than others and have had some great teams .
I appreciate your thoughts but pretending is what they do. We can't assume they would have won any titles in the playoffs as they have not shown the ability to do so since the inception of the playoff system.

I appreciate your thoughts but pretending is what they do. We can't assume they would have won any titles in the playoffs as they have not shown the ability to do so since the inception of the playoff system.

Yes assuming is speculative and I have no dog in the ring here , but I think reasonably thinking they get a title or two . But that is also true of other top programs pre-playoffs. Been a storied program but it is what it is , they simply haven't gotten it done in the play-off system era. I did think this year the stars were aligning , but they couldn't tackle that QB among other Lasalle players well enough that night.

*State Title

Mentor- should be almost unanimous.

Massilon

Huber Heights Wayne

Glenville- I'll agree there. They've had some talented teams but never could put it all together to win one.

Last edited:
Back in the day Glenville. The amount of NFL level talent that came through there in the '00s was insane and the fact they could not win a title is crazy. Solon has 22 appearances yet no titles.

From the lower levels I would add Manchester. The coach just retired with more wins than anyone in OHSAA football history else yet he has a big gaping hole in state titles. 24 playoff appearances with only 1 title game showing and 3 semis.

Back in the day Glenville. The amount of NFL level talent that came through there in the '00s was insane and the fact they could not win a title is crazy. Solon has 22 appearances yet no titles.

From the lower levels I would add Manchester. The coach just retired with more wins than anyone in OHSAA football history else yet he has a big gaping hole in state titles. 24 playoff appearances with only 1 title game showing and 3 semis.
Amazing that Glenville has never won a title.

Yes Wayne has knocked on the door and has had the talent some years to knock the door down but fell just a bit short . I didn't immediately think of Glenville either. I think its because even with all the ridiculous physical talent they have had they weren't may be as disciplined or weren't quite as challenged schedule wise ? Not as detailed oriented? Mentor and Glenville had real close looks at it when they played Davidson in the final in 2006 and 2009 respectively.

Both teams couldn't really stop each other in 2006 , with Davidson rolling the dice win or lose play on a two point try in Overtime , but Bo Delande who carried almost 50 times scored to win Davidson's first title . Davidson won their second three years later vs Glenville also going for a two point try late in the 4th down one point. Again they got in and took home the crown. Glenville had a TD called back on a PF by an offensive lineman after a pass was thrown that went for six. Later on in the 4th quarter they were up a TD and Jones threw a perfect pass to Christian Bryant in the end zone as he was in the clear by a few yards Bryant dropped the pass costing the TB's a two TD lead late. they didn't score of course and Davidson ripped of a long run { Keeper by the QB } getting very deep in Glenville territory , eventually scoring and getting the two points to win by one .

Davidson won both titles this way, showing extreme confidence in their system to get at least three yards on any play. In some instances the reason a team gambles is because they don't trust their kicker . Not even remotely the case in either instance as the Cats had excellent kickers , they just had extreme confidence in their run game and system and it paid off both times resulting in state titles.

Glenville / Pizz poor game tactics. No team discipline.

:>---

SALT

Per the OHSAA website, here is the teams I saw with the most playoff appearances without a Playoff State Title:
***Team, Playoff Appearances, Playoff W-L-%, Playoff Runner Ups, Playoff Semifinalist***
Massillon Washington: 26 appearances, 39-26 60.00%, 5 Runner Up's - 13 Semifinalist
Akron Manchester: 25 appearances, 21-25 45.65%, 1 - 2
Covington: 23 appearances, 17-23 42.50%, 1 - 3
Solon: 22 appearances, 23-22 51.11%, 1 - 2
Cuyahoga Heights: 22 appearances, 29-22 56.86%, 2 - 4
Shadyside: 21 appearances, 32-21 60.38%, 2 - 4
Wayne Huber Heights: 21 appearances, 24-21 53.33%, 4 - 4
Thornville Sheridan: 20 appearances, 17-20 45.95%, 1 - 2
Dover: 20 appearances, 15-20 42.86%, 0 - 1
Licking Valley: 19 appearances, 34-19 64.15%, 3 - 8
Mentor: 19 appearances, 38-19 66.67%, 4 - 6
Dublin Coffman: 19 appearances, 22-19 53.66%, 0 - 2

The three on here that stick out to me is Akron Manchester, Licking Valley and Mentor. Each has/had a coach who either made the program and/or taken the program to another level. Two of them (Manchester & Mentor) the coach retired at the end of 2019 and the third (Licking Valley) lost in the state championship game in 2019. Hopefully the Licking Valley coach hangs in there and the Panthers get a state title.

Last edited:
Per the OHSAA website, here is the teams I saw with the most playoff appearances without a Playoff State Title:
***Team, Playoff Appearances, Playoff W-L-%, Playoff Runner Ups, Playoff Semifinalist***
Massillon Washington: 26 appearances, 39-16 70.91%, 5 Runner Up's - 13 Semifinalist
Akron Manchester: 25 appearances, 21-25 45.65%, 1 - 2
Covington: 23 appearances, 17-23 42.50%, 1 - 3
Solon: 22 appearances, 23-22 51.11%, 1 - 2
Cuyahoga Heights: 22 appearances, 29-22 56.86%, 2 - 4
Shadyside: 21 appearances, 32-21 60.38%, 2 - 4
Wayne Huber Heights: 21 appearances, 24-21 53.33%, 4 - 4
Thornville Sheridan: 20 appearances, 20-16 55.56%, 1 - 2
Dover: 20 appearances, 15-20 42.86%, 0 - 1
Licking Valley: 19 appearances, 34-19 64.15%, 3 - 8
Mentor: 19 appearances, 38-17 69.09%, 4 - 6
Dublin Coffman: 19 appearances, 22-19 53.66%, 0 - 2

The three on here that stick out to me is Akron Manchester, Licking Valley and Mentor. Each has/had a coach who either made the program and/or taken the program to another level. Two of them (Manchester & Mentor) the coach retired at the end of 2019 and the third (Licking Valley) lost in the state championship game in 2019. Hopefully the Licking Valley coach hangs in there and the Panthers get a state title.
Thanks for looking that up. 26 appearances and zero titles. Ouch

It's Massillon hands down. Mentor is just recently been really good. Massillon has gone through many coaches and have been on the doorstep many times only to come up short. It just seems that there is always one team that just has better Jimmies and Joes than Massillon, and they just can't get the breaks they need in those situations.

It's Massillon hands down. Mentor is just recently been really good. Massillon has gone through many coaches and have been on the doorstep many times only to come up short. It just seems that there is always one team that just has better Jimmies and Joes than Massillon, and they just can't get the breaks they need in those situations.
One would think a true champion makes their own breaks and gets it done. Coming up short 26 times seems like needing more than the breaks.

I'd say:

1. Mentor
2. Huber Heights Wayne
3. Massillon Washington
4. Licking Valley
5. Cuyahoga Heights
6. Avon (home town bias pick)

Thanks for looking that up. 26 appearances and zero titles. Ouch

Mentor, Massillon, Wayne, Avon etc have obviously had alot of success, and fans treated to many great athletes, teams and seasons. And proud followings throughout college/pro careers as well. Your school has 1 playoff win in school history. I'd call that an Ouch.

Fwiw above teams less than coincidentally all public schools.