Who is going to be good in Southwest Ohio this season?

My youngest isn't playing this year (didn't make Varsity) so I asked a buddy who's a high school age CUP coach and this is what he said.

Best in class
D1 - Lakota West (KD maybe best youth player we ever had at CUP!!!), or Mason (Very talented at all positions from all the best clubs) best in Cincy / Beavercreek best in Dayton (By default)

D2 - Summit best in Cincy (complete team Keeper to the 10) or IH (Lost ability to play possession but fast) / Monroe (possibly best back line in all of Ohio! but lost scorer) or Alter (best coached with lots of Galaxy and CUP talent) best in Dayton

D3 - CCD best in Cincy (very well rounded half +/- the squad will go D1 over next 2 years) / Waynesville best in Dayton (lots of young talent from CUP Gold and OE ECNL and Sr. WCSA girl committed D1) both no contest

Surprisingly good if starters stay healthy
Cincy / Turpin, Madeira, SUA
Dayton / Miamisburg, Bellbrook, Dayton Christian

Under performers
Cincy / Oak Hills, Mariemont, 7 hills
Dayon / Springboro, Lebanon, Carroll

I did not ever see Rose play but I have watched KD and SJ play many times last year. KD has a shot that is much, much stronger than any other player in her age group that I have seen. It is like watching a high school pitcher sit in the mid 90's. Just noticeably different.

I would say this year is the usual suspects:

D1: Most talented teams: Lakota West/Mason/Ursula/Loveland. I imagine MND will be good and in that top 5.
D2: Summit, Badin, Alter in D2 will reign supremacy.
D3: Runs through CCD in Cincy.

I said it last year before the season started that its LW state championship to lose and everyone thought i was nuts. This year will be interesting bc they've lost a couple players but they should still contend. Not sure where some people get their info but St Ursula (coaching issue and players quit) and MND is solid but not great. Loveland and Beavercreek are always reloading and solid. Mason should be very talented this year. The other two sleepers are Seton (made good run last year but did graduate top player but they have talent and return a lot of starters) and MercyMcauley (has a lot of talent, heavy senior class, with majority elite club players).

Watch out for Seton. Could be a sleeper. Ursula always has a ton of talent, but the coaching situation could be a problem. Sounds like the remaining staff is carrying on with the club nepotism from the previous regime. Many players taking a seat who are better, but don’t happen to play at the club the coaches are all employed by.

My youngest isn't playing this year (didn't make Varsity) so I asked a buddy who's a high school age CUP coach and this is what he said.

Best in class
D1 - Lakota West (KD maybe best youth player we ever had at CUP!!!), or Mason (Very talented at all positions from all the best clubs) best in Cincy / Beavercreek best in Dayton (By default)

D2 - Summit best in Cincy (complete team Keeper to the 10) or IH (Lost ability to play possession but fast) / Monroe (possibly best back line in all of Ohio! but lost scorer) or Alter (best coached with lots of Galaxy and CUP talent) best in Dayton

D3 - CCD best in Cincy (very well rounded half +/- the squad will go D1 over next 2 years) / Waynesville best in Dayton (lots of young talent from CUP Gold and OE ECNL and Sr. WCSA girl committed D1) both no contest

Under performers

Monroe returns their leading scorer from a year ago ?‍♂️

He said he thought MW was. If she wasn't, his apologizes. He also said to hear her tell it she was the top scorer in the nation, lol so he could be wrong. Don't know the kid myself.
I don’t know her either, but with your added explanation I understand exactly why he thought that. No biggie

Best in class

Under performers

If she is that good then CUP may have two players on the National team is that what your friend is saying?

If she is that good then CUP may have two players on the National team is that what your friend is saying?

KD left and went to OE a couple years back. But shes awesome I have seen her play especially when she was younger. We were in Frisco a few years back both our age groups were playing for nationals my daughters and hers and she was a women playing against kids. Wasn't even fair.

Lebanon - Carroll was a 2-2 game last evening. Competitive match. Lebanon has already handled Bellbrook 3-0. Was Carroll's first game of the season.

Why are Springboro, Lebanon, and Carroll underachievers in Dayton?
I said it last year before the season started that its LW state championship to lose and everyone thought i was nuts. This year will be interesting bc they've lost a couple players but they should still contend. Not sure where some people get their info but St Ursula (coaching issue and players quit) and MND is solid but not great. Loveland and Beavercreek are always reloading and solid. Mason should be very talented this year. The other two sleepers are Seton (made good run last year but did graduate top player but they have talent and return a lot of starters) and MercyMcauley (has a lot of talent, heavy senior class, with majority elite club players).
Beavercreek, Boro, and Centerville is down in talent quite significantly, so they will not be a threat. The GWOC does not play outside of their conference this year.

Beavercreek, Boro, and Centerville is down in talent quite significantly, so they will not be a threat. The GWOC does not play outside of their conference this year.

That's fine. Just wondering why they would underachieve. Did someone expect something from these teams that they aren't going to deliver?

Maybe because traditionally those programs are strong? Any, there is another player on LW that played on the U17 team in Jan/Feb of 2020. I watched her play on ESPN just by happenstance. However, LW's goalie graduated early and moved on to Auburn University. The way LW played last year made the defense vulnerable and that goalie made many, many saves on breakaways. Will be interesting to see how the LW coach adjusts her set strategy this year to take into account the new goalie.

Did someone expect something from these teams that they aren't going to deliver?
Boro had a great run just a few years ago and was runner up in state final. Creek won State 2018 and I believe holds State record 43 consecutive wins in 2018-2019 season. Centerville was traditionally the team to beat up until Boro and Creek had their real-time runs.

Boro had a great run just a few years ago and was runner up in state final. Creek won State 2018 and I believe holds State record 43 consecutive wins in 2018-2019 season. Centerville was traditionally the team to beat up until Boro and Creek had their real-time runs.

But it still comes down to the numbers you get at your school. You can go on a run with a handful of players, but once they graduate, you're waiting until the next group comes. If there's nobody coming, I don't know that I'd label it an underachieving season.

But it still comes down to the numbers you get at your school. You can go on a run with a handful of players, but once they graduate, you're waiting until the next group comes. If there's nobody coming, I don't know that I'd label it an underachieving season.
I can understand your point. I was just saying the GWOC for the last few years had top ten state teams where now they may not for some time. Where’s the next group coming from? I’m not seeing it from any GWOC school - not saying they won’t have decent fun to watch teams, but any legit quality to make a run at state?

Last edited: