Who becomes the new HC at Perrysburg?

A young guy from an elite staff may be the way to go, if Perrysburg truly wants to achieve at a high level. The league doesn't prepare them well for the D1 state playoffs, but a young mind with fresh ideas may give them an edge. This is an important hire for Perrysburg. Southview has a very good young class and hiring someone who is not a great fit will set them way behind. Good luck!!

A young guy from an elite staff may be the way to go, if Perrysburg truly wants to achieve at a high level. The league doesn't prepare them well for the D1 state playoffs, but a young mind with fresh ideas may give them an edge. This is an important hire for Perrysburg. Southview has a very good young class and hiring someone who is not a great fit will set them way behind. Good luck!!
Thoughts on who that could be, coach?

Who are the ELITE programs in NW OH that has coordinators that would KNOW from EXPERIENCE on how to run a program the right way? I would say there are a few in NW OH that would fit that description. You want a guy now who has learned from a program that does it the right way and has had success in doing so. This could be a great job. Again, good luck to Perrysburg in finding their guy!

eastisbest, hope life is treating you well!!

Coach Rios checks the boxes. Cmon back coach. Talk about another guy who was a game changer. Ill never forget that 2000 squad. I think that D gave up something like 30 points all year. Diontre Earl was one of the best HS mlbs I saw from Toledo. Just plain NASTY. Lonnie Awls, Reese, Dru, Sample, Lewis...geesh. Cromwell never got beat so bad by a public to that point. 38-7? That Buchtel game had so much talent on the darn field.

After being a basketball town for a good chunk of time Coach Rios made football fun again for city kids. Did away with the conventional TCL retreads who ran nothing but I formation or Wing T type offenses.

Come on back coach. Water's warm. Lol

Eastisbest will approve.

You bet! Thanks Coach, you too. Since that global warming hit, it's like Florida here. Couldn't hurt to have a coach knowing how to teach that talent.

The smart one's (and IB) pointed out, need more system coaches. Young guys educating themselves on the x's and o's and motivating young people into sports and holding standards of schooling and behavior. We've some pretty good young boy's basketball coaches that came up through the ranks. Doesn't seem to be happening so much in football?

A less smart one pointed out long ago, this focus on one program is going to kill the area and it has. The area lost that balance between synergy and hands to themselves needed to get teams to state. You look at Hoban, Kirtland, MAC. Those are SMART EDUCATED kids. They know the game. One of those kids doesn't go to class, I'll bet you how much field time they get. na da.

It's not about top talent. It's about high average knowledge and discipline. Top talent will come out of that.

Are they making soap boxes higher than used to be? Nearly broke a knee.

Reactions: AXE
Per Jordan Strack:
Over 60 legitimate applicants.

7 current head coaches at the HS level.

2 college assistant coaches.

The goal is to get a final 14 in for the first round. They want a hire by January.

Let the games begin
Why in the world would the AD release that information? Another guy who needs to get stroked on social media? 60 applicants, all high quality and in 4 years the program is in the crapper you as the AD looks incompetent because you hired the wrong guy out of these 60 incredible candidates.

Why in the world would the AD release that information? Another guy who needs to get stroked on social media? 60 applicants, all high quality and in 4 years the program is in the crapper you as the AD looks incompetent because you hired the wrong guy out of these 60 incredible candidates.

Huh? Seems to be a normal press release. Might even be an obligation, public servant and all.

Per Jordan Strack:

The goal is to get a final 14 in for the first round. They want a hire by January.
Better than having 60 illegitimate candidates.

Strack is probably disappointed that Harbaugh didn't apply.

Per Jordan Strack:

That's impressive , sounds like Perrysburg has a very good game plan as far as hiring a new coach.

60 applicants is not out of the norm....I don't think Strack meant that all 60 were great candidates. The fact that only seven are current head coaches is interesting.

Yeah it will be interesting to see which 14 come out of that pool. Hopefully a good mix of experienced guys who have done it elsewhere and young guys looking for their first shot.

Yeah it will be interesting to see which 14 come out of that pool. Hopefully a good mix of experienced guys who have done it elsewhere and young guys looking for their first shot.
I'm not sure P-burg should take a shot at someone looking at 1st shot.

I'll take experienced guys who've done it elsewhere for $800, Alex.

Experience isn't always the answer. We have seen how that has worked at other levels. A lot of young guys are getting hired to run programs.

Experience isn't always the answer. We have seen how that has worked at other levels. A lot of young guys are getting hired to run programs.
Correct, experience isn't always the answer in itself. But, if you preface it by saying they got it done elsewhere, then I believe that is the answer. PBurg is in a position it would be high risk for someone looking to get their feet wet.

like Brungard before AW? ;)

There's no reason they shouldn't look at a successful Assistant or even position coach. Who they learned from, their personality type, whether they're allowed in Perrysburg without cops following them around ~grumble~ like you're supposed to ask a grown women who her daddy is, smh.

like Brungard before AW? ;)

There's no reason they shouldn't look at a successful Assistant or even position coach. Who they learned from, their personality type, whether they're allowed in Perrysburg without cops following them around ~grumble~ like you're supposed to ask a grown women who her daddy is, smh.
It seldom works even deemed successful assistants.

I thought Chipka did a decent job at Waite in the short time he was there and has made SFS respectable again after some very down years post Cromwell. Do I think he’s the right hire at Perrysburg? I doubt it, but I still think he is probably one of the better head coaches in the area.

It seldom works even deemed successful assistants.

"It seldom works" describes the far majority of athletic programs doesn't it? ? The 20 years with championships is the anomaly. Everybody has their theories on hiring, what will work and what won't. What kind of timeline. I've obviously no input on this or any decision but if a knowledgable, quality person crosses the threshold, I'm looking at what they can become more than if they've already been successful at a equitable level position. I'm looking for someone that can listen as well as lead and knows which to do when.

"It seldom works" describes the far majority of athletic programs doesn't it? ? The 20 years with championships is the anomaly. Everybody has their theories on hiring, what will work and what won't. What kind of timeline. I've obviously no input on this or any decision but if a knowledgable, quality person crosses the threshold, I'm looking at what they can become more than if they've already been successful at a equitable level position. I'm looking for someone that can listen as well as lead and knows which to do when.
Plenty of assistants at every level whether it be HS, College, or Pro, go straight from an assistant at a successful program to a HC at what people would consider a “great job” and do just fine.

that's what I'm thinking. Wouldn't throw a candidate out because they were still working their way up. Sometimes moving to a new place is the only way to get that top job. Maybe even usually the only way.

This isn't a requirement, but it might be helpful to look for someone familiar with building/running a program with similar demographics and closed enrollment. Schools like Avon, Hudson, Avon Lake show you can sustain high level success in places similiar to P'burg. Being D1, of course, they have to ratchet it up to achieve playoff success.

My top guy would be the HC at AW. I've followed his career ever since Avon starting meeting P'burg (then AW) in playoff games. He can succeed, but as was mentioned a few times earlier...why leave AW?