Who becomes the new HC at Perrysburg?

Since Adam Gase is on the hot seat in New York i was hearing rumors that Perrysburg was in contact with Gase's agent trying to work a multi-million dollar deal for him. I am very excited to see where this goes, i believe that Gase can really teach these Perrysburg boys how to play ball.

Since Adam Gase is on the hot seat in New York i was hearing rumors that Perrysburg was in contact with Gase's agent trying to work a multi-million dollar deal for him. I am very excited to see where this goes, i believe that Gase can really teach these Perrysburg boys how to play ball.
What a pick up that would be...

Correct, which is why earlier in the thread you will see I believe Pburg should go outside of the area if possible.
Agreed but there's still loads of good HS programs in NW Ohio but some have such a good job they wouldn't think to leave to go to a school like Perrysburg.

Zero chance that Dempsey takes the job. He does have dudes on his staff that are very qualified for the job, though. One on the offensive side and one on the defensive side. Would both be first time HC's.

Certainly don't see Dempsey even sniffing this job, but you can also count out the idea of pburg hiring a first time head coach for this gig.

Reactions: AXE
Sean Buckley would be an outstanding choice. He is a Perrysburg alum and currently an asst. at Ohio Northern with experience as a quality control at Ohio State. Also was an asst. at Genoa.

I think this has potential to be a mess of a hire. Heard things during his time at pburg and heard some things from following on twitter and think this could be a dumpster fire.

They already know how to play football. For St. Johns, St Francis, Central Catholic... One tried to get on the Field Hockey team at Notre Dame. Can't blame him.

Hearing that Gradkowski did in fact apply for the job
Old news.....

P’Burg has themselves in a dicey spot. Most guys mentioned on here won’t even apply, most don’t view the Jacket job as a step up. Gradkowski, Patterson and Chipka will get interviews as will 2 staff members who have no chance of getting the job. Hire Gradkowski and pray it works out. Hire Patterson and hope he can adapt to a new offensive scheme, especially with sophomore Takats on the rise. Hire Chipka and hope his behavior doesn’t burn bridges like his behavior has at SFS. Guessing they hire someone from the outside, young guy with no head coaching experience.

Old news.....

P’Burg has themselves in a dicey spot. Most guys mentioned on here won’t even apply, most don’t view the Jacket job as a step up. Gradkowski, Patterson and Chipka will get interviews as will 2 staff members who have no chance of getting the job. Hire Gradkowski and pray it works out. Hire Patterson and hope he can adapt to a new offensive scheme, especially with sophomore Takats on the rise. Hire Chipka and hope his behavior doesn’t burn bridges like his behavior has at SFS. Guessing they hire someone from the outside, young guy with no head coaching experience.
Very dicey.

Lots of good young talent coming up and parents are watching. Make the wrong move and you will see that talent bolt to Big 3.

Every hire is dicey. PBurg has a pretty good record of success. There's a lot of space between OH and 2nd ranked PBurg but they are still the second best district in the area. They'll be fine.

What about any league coordinators, like Brungard going to AW? Could there be any assistants in the league that could bump over to Perrysburg?

Very dicey.

Lots of good young talent coming up and parents are watching. Make the wrong move and you will see that talent bolt to Big 3.
How much talent really bolts? Can’t think of one Perrysburg kid on the CCHS football team recently. I believe SJJ generally get the Perrysburg misfits, more of a good match, pinky out crowd to pinky out crowd. Wasn’t the SJJ TE who went to Northwestern at P’BURG kid?

Old news.....

Depends on how many young guys with no HC experience would apply and who they are

Nichols at Liberty Benton has done a great job, but is he willing? If he was looking to leave, I would have thought Findlay would have been in on him.

This ain't happening. Tim is a great guy, but with the number L-B has every year, they should go undefeated in the small Blanchard Valley Conference--but yet every year they stub their toe on an Arlington, McComb, or Leipsic. He needs to become an assistant at a Findlay or Perrysburg before thinking about getting into the "big time."

Not to nitpick, but LB has not lost to Arlington since the 2001 season. They have had some battles with McComb and Leipsic over the last handful of years, and while LB is bigger there isn’t a crazy difference between good D7 schools and a solid but not huge D5. Tim does has a state runner up and at least one other regional championship (possible more?) to his name. Idk if that is enough to get you in the door at Pburg.
side note - another poster awhile back mentioned Rutherford at Eastwood and his longevity there. Two different people, Jerry coached the team from the 80’s until 2016. His son Craig has been coaching the team since the 2017 state runner up year. Jerry still coaches the online for them though.

This ain't happening. Tim is a great guy, but with the number L-B has every year, they should go undefeated in the small Blanchard Valley Conference--but yet every year they stub their toe on an Arlington, McComb, or Leipsic. He needs to become an assistant at a Findlay or Perrysburg before thinking about getting into the "big time."
I don't buy that at all. If you can coach, then you can coach regardless school size.

side note - another poster awhile back mentioned Rutherford at Eastwood and his longevity there. Two different people, Jerry coached the team from the 80’s until 2016. His son Craig has been coaching the team since the 2017 state runner up year. Jerry still coaches the online for them though.
That was me, but I said a Rutherford has been there for about 40 years, meaning someone by the name Rutherford (son and father, not the same guy, I know).

Gerry Faust is kind of like the Nazi of sports debate. If you've got to pull him in to make a point, you're probably already losing. But I know yours was in gest. Poor guy didn't know his recruiting area at ND would be smaller than it was at Moeller.

Just changing communities probably a challenge. Add in level of difficulty, some might be energizing the community they're from, born, raised; trying a new place. That's a different unknown. I know from my vast experience that not all concession hot dogs are the same. As IB is saying, the community has to give new coach some room if they want success.

Last edited:
A couple clarifications.

As I stated, the only existing HC I'd hire from the region would be Andy Brungard. He is a Perrysburg guy and knows the community and knows how to win at the state level. More importantly he understands that depth wins (one knock I'd have with Kregel). At the end of the day, however, why would Brungard abandon AW? Anthony Wayne is very similar to Perrysburg in dynamics and he has built that program to be the machine that simply reloads every year. If he was willing he should be the guy at PBurg, but I'd be surprised if he would leave AW.

When I say the Jackets need to go outside of NWOhio is what I mean is the area is a tad stale at the moment. When Joe Palka, who is from the area, was HC at CCHS at a young age before moving onto college, came to Whitmer in 2006 he changed the dynamics of NWOhio football. He recruited in house, closed the WLS district off from the Big 3, and implemented a culture that thought big (outside of just NWOhio). Palka beat SJ on several occasions and CCHS once on special teams alone. The Panthers talked about winning state titles, not league titles. You no longer could put your legacy kids on special teams or he'd make you pay. Dempsey's game got better because of Palka. All of NWOhio did.

If I am Perrysburg I am looking for someone who knows how to get max numbers out and beat the Olentangy schools. Think big. People mention Todd Drusback, who is a good coach offensively at the level he is at, but their D struggles at the level they play and their special teams are not up to par to play big boy football. Perrysburg is on pace to supersede Whitmer in the amount of boys soon and you had better know how to put together a program that can win at the state level. DI and to a slightly lessor degree D2 in Ohio is no joke. Most schools two platoon. Most schools run complex offenses and defenses and have full time special teams coordinators. It is very college like AND a full time year round job. If you think you can run cover 3 or sit in cover 4 all day you will get exposed. If you cannot do certain things with your front seven to account for multiple formations with TE/HB's that move all over the place looking for mismatches you will get exposed.

In my opinion Perrysburg is a big draw. I sincerely hope that they spend the money and get someone good who checks all of the boxes because if they do, the Yellow Jackets could be pretty special.

Quick question? Name a Dan Chipka signature win. SJ and CC have owned SF and they finally beat an atrocious Whitmer squad this past season. And do not think they do not have talent because they do. They are not CCHS talented yet but they are close enough to have at least won a game against CC or SJ by now. What is SF vs. AW? 0-3?

This is not about finding someone to win NLL titles. Think big, have state level thinking in the back of your mind, and find someone who can compete and defeat the Olentangy schools.

they are not close to cchs raw talent level. Agree that you're wrong. :) The rest I'd agree, they should be thinking state, not league.