Who becomes the new HC at Perrysburg?

I have heard it talked about that Perrysburg could split into 2 HS down the road. I am not buying it but have others heard the same?
I'd heard that in passing, never seriously. It could be a possibility but I do not see it happening unless they get upwards of 1,000 boys 10-12. This is a football forum and I am a football guy si I will tell you that IMO it was a mistake for Sylvania to split years ago. If you were to combine Sylvania Northview and Southview, most years over the past two decades they would be around 900 boys which would still make them roughly the 15 largest school in the state. Save and combine resources. Have a monster football team (and everything else). When you have solid athletics across the board, and especially in the money sports (football & basketball), you pass levies and the community is more involved in everything you do.

Back on topic, outside of Brungard a couple others, I hope Perrysburg has the ability to draw someone from outside the area. The area is really down at the moment and some new blood would be nice. Avon Lake's coach would be a nice get. Unsure if the incentive would be big enough for him to leave.

Back on topic, outside of Brungard a couple others, I hope Perrysburg has the ability to draw someone from outside the area. The area is really down at the moment and some new blood would be nice. Avon Lake's coach would be a nice get. Unsure if the incentive would be big enough for him to leave.
Avon Lake's coach is an Avon Lake alum and has them as one of the best programs in the area. I mean, they just took out Toledo Central Catholic. I have no inside information and I have no idea what his personal goals are but I have to believe it would take A LOT to get him to leave that situation, especially for Perrysburg which is at best a lateral move. No offense to Perrysburg at all I have a lot of respect for that city and program.

I would say the odds of the Avon Lake Coach leaving are slim to none.

Current QB’s coach at Central. Believe he spent time at BGSU with Dino Babers and Mike Jinks. Was the OC at SFS for a minute too. Dempsey hired him away from there 2 years ago.

Still hearing Perrysburg’s inner circles eyes are on Dempsey. Don’t know if he will reciprocate the interest buts Thats what went around the local coaching circles last week and nothing has changed. There’s some current local coaches that are going to put in but Perrysburg is looking for a splash hire. I don’t think you will see an assistant with no HC experience.

With no knowledge at all, just throwing it out there, keep Pat Gucciardo on the radar.

If they do "splash" and it doesn't work out, heads will roll. Has anyone at Central really made a case they could succeed in such an apples to oranges environment? It's maybe old discussion to hear but I don't recall them ever upsetting anyone. I don't think they out x and o'ed their way to this success. I still feel that they win before the first snap at practice. As the burbs fill with higher economic skilled trades (bigger, faster, better educated) families, the Central recruiting advantage may be going away. Even our burbs will catch up.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of the Avon Lake game. I think my pre-game thoughts were dead-on. Central simply hadn't had the schedule they needed to prepare either coaches or players for the better play-off teams. A couple quality OOC and I think they're still playing. The LaSalle, which I attended last year, my impression was Central had the superior talent on the field and didn't adjust the defensive calls. Ackowledging there are no experts working this keyboard, just old eyes that have seen a lot of games. Avon Lake, the announcer called out some lack of adjustments. Watching on tv isn't the same as in person. I couldn't get a good feel.

Seemed Central hadn't developed the kicking game. Weren't sure where the sidelines started. Other than that, I know recruit rankings and all favored Central but the AL players seemed to know the game better across the board. Seemed to know where the ball was and absolutely swarmed to it. Seemed to match up pretty well. They certainly weren't small or slow or weak. Central probably does have a few players clearly more talented but I think AL matched them on average. Not sure it was an upset.

Last edited:
Gooch? Nothing against the guy but he is not what Perrysburg needs at the moment. Dempsey? He'd get exposed. This year's CCHS team was as talented as he has had and they got beaten by a closed district D2 team at home in what was essentially the second round of the playoffs. Seven kids entered this season with DI offers and they have more who will earn one. Perrysburg has had two DI guys over the past decade (Patterson, Collins, and you could count Delas who played baseball but would have played DI football).

Like I said, they would do themselves justice going outside of NWOhio at this point.

The best HS football coach in the area is the QB coach at UT. Doubt he came all the way from Florida to land back in a high school though.

Hearing that Chipka wants the Perrysburg job badly. Wonder what the admin at SFS will do if/when word of that travels to them.

Would P’Burg be so interested in making a name splash, that it would consider a big name guy, from Western PA, via UT and the NFL even if he’s never been a head coach??

Last edited:
"Gradkowski" is not a bug name. Must be talking Fields. That's kind of a bug name. I don't know why either would be a good HS coach but team meals should be good.

Pburg probably couldn't pay Gradkowski even remotely enough to leave his gigs now to come coach some ball. He did help out at AW a few years back though.

Any chance that a successful smaller school coach gets a chance? Far-fetched, but if they can be successful building programs with lesser talent bases, then why not with a program with talent like Perrysburg?

Like Dzerwa? Rutherford? Setting aside whether they would apply, why would they be far fetched? Is the job that much different? Asking honestly.

Like Dzerwa? Rutherford? Setting aside whether they would apply, why would they be far fetched? Is the job that much different? Asking honestly.
I was thinking Dzerwa too but doubt he would leave Otsego since his son is a Junior this year. Any other candidates you can think of?

I just think a lot has to do with each situation and the willingness of Perrysburg administration to give them a chance.

You just mentioned Dzerwa’s connection. At Eastwood, a Rutherford has been the head coach for quite a while (40 years?). I think Drusback is a Rossford alum.

Nichols at Liberty Benton has done a great job, but is he willing? If he was looking to leave, I would have thought Findlay would have been in on him.

What about the guys at Columbian or Wauseon? I don’t know much about either of these guys. Any SBC coaches to look into? Perrysburg is definitely a great job, they should get some big time interest.

The question I have is this. Do tight school budgets because of covid and cuts in state money to schools because of covid scare some from leaving their current schools to apply? Does it hamstring schools in being able to bring in someone and create a job if there is not one available?

I think those dynamics may play into every opening. I would think this year will be tough to fill some openings.

My guess, is they hire from within.

The question I have is this. Do tight school budgets because of covid and cuts in state money to schools because of covid scare some from leaving their current schools to apply? Does it hamstring schools in being able to bring in someone and create a job if there is not one available?

I think those dynamics may play into every opening. I would think this year will be tough to fill some openings.

My guess, is they hire from within.

I agree with you and have the same thoughts...some coaches that are teachers have to be thinking about job security during these times. Funding from the state has been cut...if you are not a teacher in a core subject then you are kind of looking over your shoulder trying to figure out if your position is going to be cut. This will definitely play a roll in some of the hirings.

I feel that most of these positions are going to be filled internally, if not then they have a core subject teaching opening where the new HC falls into.

Last edited:
One thing to look at is what teaching openings are available at Perrysburg. Piggy backing off of doubtme's post, they might have to stay internal with their hire because of lack of teaching openings.
Questions we could ask to some of the names that have been thrown around, what subject do they teach? Is that open at Perrysburg or will they make an opening?
Brungard
Dzerwa
Rutherford
Chipka
Drusbeck
Lindke
(I know not all names listed above were all the names thrown out during this thread, but you get my point.)

I just think a lot has to do with each situation and the willingness of Perrysburg administration to give them a chance.

You just mentioned Dzerwa’s connection. At Eastwood, a Rutherford has been the head coach for quite a while (40 years?). I think Drusback is a Rossford alum.

Nichols at Liberty Benton has done a great job, but is he willing? If he was looking to leave, I would have thought Findlay would have been in on him.

What about the guys at Columbian or Wauseon? I don’t know much about either of these guys. Any SBC coaches to look into? Perrysburg is definitely a great job, they should get some big time interest.
Drusback is a St. Joseph Central Catholic alum, Class of 90.

But, speaking of alums, Columbian Head Coach is just that. I would imagine he bleeds too much Blue and Gold to entertain anywhere else especially since he led TC to 1st Regional Title.

Drusback is a St. Joseph Central Catholic alum, Class of 90.

But, speaking of alums, Columbian Head Coach is just that. I would imagine he bleeds too much Blue and Gold to entertain anywhere else especially since he led TC to 1st Regional Title.

Interesting about Drusback. Thought he left SJCC 15 years ago for Rossford because he was from there, not the opposite. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited: