Who becomes the new HC at Perrysburg?

NWOhioGuy

Anyone have any thoughts? Could they go after Andy Brungard? If that happens, there would be a trickle down effect. Then AW would be open. Also a great job.

AW seems like a better job to me. ?‍♂️
Agree. Don’t see any point in Brungard leaving AW for Perrysburg strictly from a football standpoint. There could be non-football factors that could make Pburg attractive to him, though.

From an out of area perspective, Avon has a couple guys on the staff that would be great candidates, especially DC Jared Cecchetti.

Based on conversations in the inner football coaches circles, Perrysburg has their eyes on a very big prize. No idea if the interest is going to be reciprocated but they definitely have the money to make his retirement a little nicer.

I'm not name dropping but I'll point in the general direction
-Not in the NLL
-Current AD as well as HC
-Has one hell of a Trophy Case
- Still in the Playoffs

Last edited:
Based on conversations in the inner football coaches circles, Perrysburg has their eyes on a very big prize. No idea if the interest is going to be reciprocated but they definitely have the money to make his retirement a a little nicer.

-Not in the NLL
- Still in the Playoffs

No idea why Dempsey would even CONSIDER leaving Central Catholic when they are and can continue to be yearly contenders in D2/3 and Perrysburg will be lucky to make any noise at all in D1.

But hey. Think big I guess.

Based on conversations in the inner football coaches circles, Perrysburg has their eyes on a very big prize. No idea if the interest is going to be reciprocated but they definitely have the money to make his retirement a a little nicer.

-Not in the NLL
- Still in the Playoffs
That's aiming high. I would love to own rental properties in that district if this happens, I don't think they have open enrollment.

Zero chance that Dempsey takes the job. He does have dudes on his staff that are very qualified for the job, though. One on the offensive side and one on the defensive side. Would both be first time HC's.

That's aiming high. I would love to own rental properties in that district if this happens, I don't think they have open enrollment.
wait for the holler when he learns ed choice vouchers don't cover rent.

It would be an opportunity to show he can win on a more level playing field. Some people strive for that to feel successful. It's not city public level but it's within a few degrees. Certainly comparable to the publics he would be competing against at state.

No idea why Dempsey would even CONSIDER leaving Central Catholic when they are and can continue to be yearly contenders in D2/3 and Perrysburg will be lucky to make any noise at all in D1.

Why would anyone leave a private school powerhouse for a public school? You'd lose your recruiting advantage

He's no spring chicken. How much time can he get vested? Did he spend time working for TPS? I don't recall if he was on Coach Pearson's staff at Start.

Under Ohio's latest and greatest STRS plan you can "retire early" at age 60 with only 5 years of teaching experience. That's if you plan on retiring on or after August 1, 2026. It gets complicated because the normal retirement age is 65 with 5 years experience minimum. Not sure what you lose from retiring at 60 versus 65 under the new system.

Dempsey to my knowledge is just shy of turning 50 here sometime soon so he'd be able to rack up not a great pension but depending on where Pburg would start him out at on the pay scale he could put in a decade+ and be fine. If he has anything in STRS already he can build off that as well.

Dempsey is a Central grad, like Kregal was. But his kids are in Catholic school. His brother works at Central too. His other brother is President of Mercy. He is very much a part of the local Catholic community. Very doubtful that he would leave.

Under Ohio's latest and greatest STRS plan you can "retire early" at age 60 with only 5 years of teaching experience. That's if you plan on retiring on or after August 1, 2026. It gets complicated because the normal retirement age is 65 with 5 years experience minimum. Not sure what you lose from retiring at 60 versus 65 under the new system.

Dempsey to my knowledge is just shy of turning 50 here sometime soon so he'd be able to rack up not a great pension but depending on where Pburg would start him out at on the pay scale he could put in a decade+ and be fine. If he has anything in STRS already he can build off that as well.
Yeah but he will get a tiny percentage of his highest earning 5 years in Public ed. Wouldn't be worth it unless he was able to buy his years in Parochial education which will be expensive.

Based on conversations in the inner football coaches circles, Perrysburg has their eyes on a very big prize. No idea if the interest is going to be reciprocated but they definitely have the money to make his retirement a little nicer.

-Not in the NLL
- Still in the Playoffs

Just to clarify for you - $$$ is not going to be a reason to coach at a public school. There is a negotiated agreement that determines pay based on experience regardless if he's a teacher or not. They cannot just offer him $20,000 to coach football at a public school. Furthermore, it's up to the school to decide how much experience they want to pay him for. Doesn't have to be the actual amount but would not be more.

5 years even would cost a fortune. I had 1 year I could have bought and the STRS counselor advised me to invest the money elsewhere. Each year of experience only adds 2.2% to the final average salary which is now computed on the highest 5 year average earnings.

Wasting time trying to deduce something that will never happen.
Who on staff might be interviewed?
Chipka, Dowling, Patterson and Drusback legit options?

Yeah but he will get a tiny percentage of his highest earning 5 years in Public ed. Wouldn't be worth it unless he was able to buy his years in Parochial education which will be expensive.

Out of pure curiosity whats the going rate to buy time these days? This is ALL speculative and hypothetical haha but at his age he'd still have to get 12 years in in order to qualify for early retirement at age 60. IF they started him at say year 10 on the salary schedule he obviously wouldn't be able to max out but he'd be able to retire at 60 but with "22 years experience".

Do the private's use 401(k)s for their employees? maybe his 401(k) is absolutely crushing it haha.

Out of pure curiosity whats the going rate to buy time these days? This is ALL speculative and hypothetical haha but at his age he'd still have to get 12 years in in order to qualify for early retirement at age 60. IF they started him at say year 10 on the salary schedule he obviously wouldn't be able to max out but he'd be able to retire at 60 but with "22 years experience".

Do the private's use 401(k)s for their employees? maybe his 401(k) is absolutely crushing it haha.
I am not sure, someone above posted it I believe. I know I had friend look into it and it cost more to buy it than to just leave it where it was and invest it another way. They have made it hard to buy the time because the pension program is stressed as it is because of the longevity of retired teachers and the amount of retired teachers. No one had enough foresight when setting the policies to see that it would become heavy when the Boomers began to retire.

Also I know they pay 14% (someone can check me on this) into it against private sector employees who pay 6.2% into Social Security I believe.

AW seems like a better job to me. ?‍♂️
Its not. AW is close but still not good enough for Brungard to leave. He has a good thing going. With that said, as a Perrysburg grad/native, you never know?

He has tested the waters before. Each time I think he earned himself a promotion. Unless they ordain him I believe he has hit a ceiling at Central Catholic. They may ordain him after this time who knows? Probably appeal the Vatican for Greg to remain married and yet still be high priest of Cherry St. cchs1983 would administer the rites at this point. ;)

When it comes to retirement it still makes sense. As someone mentioned Dempsey is shy of 50. Depending on where Perrysburg starts him the STRS retirement AND HC benefits will outweigh anything CCHS has to offer over the next decade. Assuming things stay the same, which they won't, I'm sure Delp has him set up with a decent and healthy 401K which he can still pay into while collecting 10-15 years of a STRS pension. Not bad.

For a long time Perrysburg hung out in the 450-500 boy range and was a very run-of-the-mill suburban D2 school. In 2014 Perrysburg had 522 boys grades 10-12. This past year Perrysburg jumped to 672 boys grades 10-12. Perrysburg is projected to be at 800+ boys grades 10-12 very soon. To put things in perspective over the past 20 years Whitmer has been in the 800-850 range. An 800 boy school grades 10-12 with Perrysburg demographics = a VERY good football team with the right leadership (Think Olentangy Liberty and Dublin Coffman). Perrysburg has a great stadium and facilities and a bunch of middle class kids whose parents have a vested interest in their future. That is a great recipe for success.

Rossford and BG’s coaches would both be interesting candidates imo.
Epic fail if so. Drusback does some decent things offensively but his defense and special teams are behind the times. Too big a jump for him. And the last thing Perrysburg needs at the moment is a run oriented flexbone/wing-T type offense that Bowling Green runs.

Speaking of offense, whoever the next coach is at Perrysburg they should consider retaining the current OC Sims. He is one of the better OC's in the region and they run a very nice spread balance attack.

Perrysburg needs someone similar to Joe Palka when he came to Whitmer. A relatively younger college type coach who will build a true program. For as good a job as Kregel did his one short-coming was getting 150+ kids out per year. They simply need that kind of guy and I firmly believe they will have an applicant or two who will fit the bill. Between UT and BGSU and Tiffin and Findlay there will be a coach whose kids are at the age where they want to settle down and coach their kids (similar to Palka).

Last edited:
Maybe Perrysburg goes young? There is a young guy in Northwest Ohio that has college and HS experience. Currently an assistant at the top program in the area.

For a long time Perrysburg hung out in the 450-500 boy range and was a very run-of-the-mill suburban D2 school. In 2014 Perrysburg had 522 boys grades 10-12. This past year Perrysburg jumped to 672 boys grades 10-12. Perrysburg is projected to be at 800+ boys grades 10-12 very soon. To put things in perspective over the past 20 years Whitmer has been in the 800-850 range. An 800 boy school grades 10-12 with Perrysburg demographics = a VERY good football team with the right leadership (Think Olentangy Liberty and Dublin Coffman). Perrysburg has a great stadium and facilities and a bunch of middle class kids whose parents have a vested interest in their future. That is a great recipe for success.

I have heard it talked about that Perrysburg could split into 2 HS down the road. I am not buying it but have others heard the same?