Which do you prefer watching...great HS players or great College prospects?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Just curious about what everyone's thoughts are on watching great basketball players. Do you prefer to see someone dominate a game even though they may not have the intangibles that make them a great college prospect or do you prefer to see someone that is going to college even if they don't dominate at the HS level?

thePITman

If I go to showcase events or tournament games, I like watching the great college prospects compete against each other. You really get to see kids playing at a much higher level, and it's fun finding who the players are who can really step it up and take over a game in crunch time like legit D-1 players should be able to do.

But if it's 1 college-level player and a bunch of other normal HS players, I'd much rather watch a bunch of good HS players in a competitive game (and/or "nice team basketball" as eastisbest put it) than a 1-man show. With the size of schools I see on a weekly basis, this is more common for me than seeing the college prospects.

Last edited:

eastisbest

Which isn't to imply either one of us is saying no team with a much higher player than the rest doesn't play that team ball. Seen many over the years that the game is designed around everyone's strengths and building teamwork, regardless that one DI player.

It might be a good offshoot of this AAU proliferation? A kid can show their skills to college coaches there instead of racking up unnecessary stats in the high school season.

I will mention one game, in which the best player dominated that did stand out as entertaining. Irish Buffalo will remember. It was a play-off between a very balanced and skilled Toledo Scott and Sylvania Southview led by 5 ft and a few Tim Hausfield. It was one of those will to win games, Scott was daring him to drive into the trees and he did. Again and again. Much respect was earned, good sports all around and everyone on both teams played a complete game of high energy defense.

Irish60

Watching quite a bit of STVM basketball, I've seen my share of D1 talent playing both for the Irish as well as the competition. To me, I much prefer to watch the D1 players who work within the team concept. I do not enjoy watching a team give the ball consistently to one player. That's why I've enjoyed watching the Irish go up against teams like VASJ, Jackson, Trotwood, and, of course, Moeller; just to name a few. Some were wins, some were losses. But all were great games for the fans! In fact, a couple of the best HS games I've seen the Irish play were both losses for the Irish! A couple of years ago when STVM went up against John Glenn you saw two great "teams" playing. Even with all the top level talent all those teams I mentioned have, the one common factor is they play within a team concept. That's why I never enjoyed watching Garfield Heights play because Sonny will have one or two ball dominate players and the others are merely there to pass them the ball. That kind of basketball promotes, but does not develop, the "star player". At least, IMO.

BASESWIMPARENT

I just want to watch a good game that has flow. If that takes a college prospect to open up the lane, beat a man off the dribble or make a good pass, then so be it. But if I go to another high school basketball game and it is a perimeter pass fest with grabbing and groping and poor outside shooting, I don't know if I will go to another game.

grange45

I just want to watch a good game that has flow. If that takes a college prospect to open up the lane, beat a man off the dribble or make a good pass, then so be it. But if I go to another high school basketball game and it is a perimeter pass fest with grabbing and groping and poor outside shooting, I don't know if I will go to another game.
Agree! Having a shot clock would negate much of that.

MooseJaw

There is beauty in both. Fun to watch a great college prospect while envisioning his future in the college game. Also something very pure in watching a great high school player dominate a game, although you know that he doesn’t have the size or physical skills to play at the next level.

coachted

I like both. What I hate is the slowdown game, walking it up no one taking it to the rim. They waste time then they shoot a shot they could have got in the first 3 seconds hate it. That happens a lot in HS bball.