Which comment was more absurd?

What comment was more absurd?

• Marge's comment about Hitler made back in 1996

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Ozzie's recent comment about Fidel Castro

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

The comment was disgusting and absolutely moronic. The guy is the Cuban version of Hitler. The stories I have heard from my father's side of the family would make people understand how truly sick the monster is. I think Guillen should be suspended but nothing will probably happen and this will disappear.

But wow how different would this be if the African American population had an oppressor of theirs praised? They are really the only minority that has all the bells and whistles and attention whores come out at every even minor thing.

Ozzie Guillen is a pretty darn good manager ...too bad he trys to be like the spic version of charles barkley or something ... all of his outbursts in the past were just to draw attention to himself and he's so stupid , that this time he made a major boo boo when he opened his tequilla hole.... i hope he and tha marlins have a terrible yr and that he gets gunned down by some cuban drug cartel that infiltrates his palace just like they did tony montana ....

No it really isn't and I doubt you have any knowledge of the topic. The guy has contributed to the deaths of many people in the country and has taken away everything from many others. Families have been divided and he destroyed the country. People have been murdered in the middle of the night for speaking against him in any way.

As someone who actually had a whole side of the family come from there, I think I know a little bit more than you on the subject.

Maybe you're more emotionally involved and can't be objective. The guy's total trash and a monster, but it's still a bit of a stretch to say he's the Cuban version of Hitler.

Again it isn't a stretch at all. That is how Cuban people view him. He is their version of Hitler. Again I am going to know more about how they think than random people who know nothing about the culture or people of the country.

Hitler was the direct result in the deaths of millions upon millions (had Hitler never been in power, chances are WW2 never happens which means anyone who died in WW2 would be alive). Castro, while an evil man, is not Hitler.

Cuban version of Hitler isn't the same thing as saying he has done as much damage globally as Hitler.

The people of Cuba think of him the same way Jewish people viewed Hitler. That is the contempt they have for the man. It's hard to pile up the same body count though when you compare the size of Cuba vs what Hitler controlled...

Castro has ruined plenty of lives and had plenty of people killed for expressing any disdain for him. He has taken people from the rich class and forced them to be farmers. He has made people wait in huge lines just to get milk and bread to survive. People go on man made rafts across the ocean to get away from his rule. Families have been killed in the middle of the night by him. Children seeing their families murdered and such.

Heck I have cousins over there that I have never met. I can't visit them due to fear of being kept there. Because if you have Cuban heritage, there is no guarantee that they will let you leave the country. Never met my grandparents either. My dad had to leave them behind at age 11. By the time they were allowed to leave in their 60's, the bad health killed them before I was even born.

Yeah, I get that they view him in a similar way, but the damage done is nowhere near the level of Hitler. Obviously I'm not trying to defend this guy but the comparisons should be used loosely.

I already addressed that in my first sentence of my previous reply. Saying someone is the Cuban version of Hitler isn't the same as saying he is responsible for as many deaths globally as Hitler.

Castro has done many of the same things as Hitler. Made enemies with the US and helped to almost create WW3 during the Cuban Missile crisis. Hurt the economy by forcing the US to create an embargo with Cuba. He decides who is in what class and it has been done by racial features even. Castro and the government determine what job you take on and how you are paid. Any resistance or disdain expressed towards the government probably leads to you being dead in short order. He leads by fear and has stripped all private citizens of any guns to fight back.

I already addressed that in my first sentence of my previous reply. Saying someone is the Cuban version of Hitler isn't the same as saying he is responsible for as many deaths globally as Hitler.

Castro has done many of the same things as Hitler. Made enemies with the US and helped to almost create WW3 during the Cuban Missile crisis. Hurt the economy by forcing the US to create an embargo with Cuba. He decides who is in what class and it has been done by racial features even. Castro and the government determine what job you take on and how you are paid. Any resistance or disdain expressed towards the government probably leads to you being dead in short order. He leads by fear and has stripped all private citizens of any guns to fight back.

Sounds more like Stalin or Hussein.

And of course his political enemies, the ones that were on the losing side of the revolution and have had to flee the country, aren't going to have the best of things to say about him or the way he ran the government. But let's not forget that the guy that preceded him wasn't exactly a saint, either, and democracy and freedom haven't exactly thrived across the rest of the Latin America in the years that Castro has lead Cuba.

I understand why a lot of Cuban-Americans think Castro is a terrible human being, as bad as the worst human beings in history. I just think it's quite a reach for anyone to mention him in the same breath as Hitler because it's not really close to being a 1:1 analogy. Further, I'm not naive enough to believe that if Castro had never come to power in Cuba that the country wouldn't have simply been controlled by some other banana republic dictator who committed atrocities and oppressed certain segments of the population.

First of all it isn't political enemies that I am talking about. I have knowledge of the situation there. Let's not try to pretend that you know as much about me on every topic because that gets old quick. You know nothing except what you can scrounge up on the internet or see on the news which is an American viewpoint.

Batista was a dictator too and he was far from a saint. But he was better than Castro. Castro snaked his way into the position with lies and deception and actually made the situation worse. He tanked the economy and made enemies with the US forcing an embargo. He took certain people from the rich class and took everything from them making them farmers.

Stalin and Hussein can be grouped with Hitler too. They were all ruthless dictators that are responsible for the deaths of many people. Hitler did way more damage because back then powers could control many countries. It isn't the same situation now. Plus you heard a lot more about Hitler because he was a world threat. Cuba is a small country and Americans can just ignore it. The only time they were a threat were when they housed the Russians. But that was more proximity and the Russians being a threat instead of the Cuban country being a threat.

All of these dictators do a lot of the same things. Hitler did it on a grander scale but it isn't like Jewish people are the only ones that suffered from a dictator.

You can have your viewpoint based on speculation and no knowledge, but I am telling you that the Cuban people think of Castro the same way Jewish people think of Hitler. He is their version of Hitler. That is how it is. You can spout your opinion all you want but I am just telling you how they feel. Again that isn't the same thing as acting like Castro did as much damage with only one country as Hitler did with an entire block of countries in his empire.

First of all it isn't political enemies that I am talking about. I have knowledge of the situation there. Let's not try to pretend that you know as much about me on every topic because that gets old quick. You know nothing except what you can scrounge up on the internet or see on the news which is an American viewpoint.

Batista was a dictator too and he was far from a saint. But he was better than Castro. Castro snaked his way into the position with lies and deception and actually made the situation worse. He tanked the economy and made enemies with the US forcing an embargo. He took certain people from the rich class and took everything from them making them farmers.

Stalin and Hussein can be grouped with Hitler too. They were all ruthless dictators that are responsible for the deaths of many people. Hitler did way more damage because back then powers could control many countries. It isn't the same situation now. Plus you heard a lot more about Hitler because he was a world threat. Cuba is a small country and Americans can just ignore it. The only time they were a threat were when they housed the Russians. But that was more proximity and the Russians being a threat instead of the Cuban country being a threat.

All of these dictators do a lot of the same things. Hitler did it on a grander scale but it isn't like Jewish people are the only ones that suffered from a dictator.

You can have your viewpoint based on speculation and no knowledge, but I am telling you that the Cuban people think of Castro the same way Jewish people think of Hitler. He is their version of Hitler. That is how it is. You can spout your opinion all you want but I am just telling you how they feel. Again that isn't the same thing as acting like Castro did as much damage with only one country as Hitler did with an entire block of countries in his empire.

I read a lot about history, so I'm not generally "scrounging" up information on the internet when discussing a topic like this.

Again, I understand your point, but I just think that you have to be very careful about referencing Hitler because that man is in a class all his own. It's not just about what he did to the Jews, but what he did on a global scale, in basically single-handedly starting the deadliest war in this history of mankind.

By no means am I defending Castro or do I think he was a saint. I just don't think that he is the huge villain that many Americans have been convinced to believe that he is. He's just one of several dozen terrible dictators that have existed around the world in the past half century, not worth any more attention than any of the others.

I won't debate that you know a lot more about the issue than I do. But I don't think that matters...I just have a differing opinion.

Regardless of what I think or what Guillen really thinks, it was a dumb comment on his part because of the controversial nature.